Dual straight pipes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

I just ordered a jones y pipe to run dual straight pipes on my 53 chevy 235. The manifold pipe to the muffler is 2 inch. My y adapter is 2 inch inlet and dual 2 inch outlet. Im not looking for performance, just sound. What size dual outlet should i reduce down to? Ive been told that 1.5 inch dual outlets would sound the best. I know fentons are the answer but those will be later down the road. Would the smaller diameter tailpipes give her a more rappy sound?

What I used to have on my Y-block Ford 292 was 1.5" duals into burned out cherry bombs. Side dumped in front of the rear wheels. After the last turn I had about 3" tube for the side dumps. I could keep it quiet taking it easy through the neighborhood, it rumbled pretty good at road speed, but when you got on it, it barked hard.

I'd probably try the same idea on yours. Run 1.5" to the muffler and then maybe bigger past that.

split manifold sound.

Chevies and dodge 6 with a split manifold have unique sounds. I was in high school in the 50's I split my own manifold and kept the heat riser working. chevy 6 ;s were the most popular cars. I cut a slot in the manifold and cut a piece of flat stock, tacked in in place , then cut a hole in the # 4 location and tacked on a 1 3/4 piece of water pipe, the procedure was to heat the manifold cherry red and then weld with 6011 arc rod then let it cool down in the fire box of the wood cook stove bunner box in the old ranch house. I bought anothe stock exhaust pipe and made some gradual bends to fit on the otherr side.

The sound.

The ranch was 7 miles from the high school and with twin straight pipes and no mufflers the kids said they could hear it when we started it in the mornings. an YES my hearing is bad but I just say I"m older than WW II

Two pipes might be quieter than a single.
Will probably be obnoxious either way, 6's just don't sound good with straights to me. At least put some glass packs on it to mellow it out a bit. Will still sound like a bumblebee farting in a gourd, but at least it won't make you deaf.

The ranch was 7 miles from the high school and with twin straight pipes and no mufflers the kids said they could hear it when we started it in the mornings. an YES my hearing is bad but I just say I"m older than WW II
Thats what i wanted to hear, thank you

Latest posts

Back