Model T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

He's just one of them Rusty-Chainers!
Okay, this is just info at this point. I made the trek up to see vinageT (Dave) this morning to purchase some stuff for an up coming project. Nice, beautiful holiday drive into Wisconsin.
We made a deal on the parts and this is what I came home with.
WP_000748_zpslptzcb3e.jpg

Thanks Dave, good to see you again.
I have the Ford Ranger artillery wheels for it and will look for an Explorer rear axle, that should give me a rolling chassis less shock absorbers.

Now to get the '46 Dodge sold. The AD-kota is running fine so no need for 2 trucks.

Good for you Todd. What body are you planning for it?

I really prefer the '26/'27 body style, roadster/coupe/sedan/pickup. Hoping to find some Henry steel.My buddy gave me a plated T shell tonight that needs some massaging.

Swiss Cheese anyone?

Thought the axle felt a little heavy and had a high drag coefficient. Here is how to solve those issues.

I decided on 22 1" holes 1 1/2" on center. First step is putting wide masking tape in the rib. Second is making a little tag board template from the side of a cereal box. There are marks on the tape to line up the template to.
WP_000750_zpsgnbqna2n.jpg

Next I took a small transfer punch and hit the centers through the template. Then went back and used a larger punch once more (without the template).
WP_000749_zps71qunzkd.jpg

Now the no turning back moment. A #5 center drill to start.
WP_000751_zps1evcggv7.jpg

Then I switched to a 17/32" drill for a pilot hole.
WP_000752201_zpsaitzc5xq.jpg

Getting closer, a 15/16" hole saw with a 1/4" smooth rod (instead of a drill bit) gave me a 1" hole. Go figure.
WP_000753_zpsj4sa3v54.jpg

Look at all those little plugs. You can see the smooth rod in the hole saw, this helps keeps it steady in the pilot hole.
WP_000754201_zpsyerj26ux.jpg

Hot off the drill press. It was rather warm but cutting oil stopped it from overheating.
WP_000755_zpskoahs10i.jpg

Tape off, holes touched up with a flap wheel and round file. Looks racy!
WP_000756_zpspgveampj.jpg

Found the 8.8 axle I was looking for. A 4.10 locker with disc brakes for $100 :eek: [cl
WP_000758_zpstcktxpd2.jpg

Last edited:
Damn that axle looks nice... Can I have it back? lol

Project is looking good, I may have to make a trek your direction sometime to see a roller!

Dave, I'd be glad to drill your next axle, no charge. I'm tight for space in the shop right now and unsure when I'll get to roller status. Working on little things like brackets and motor mounts so I can make huge progress when the time comes.

Got a huge piece of the puzzle today. Took my '49 chevy pu to a car show/swap meet today then drove to the brother in laws place. He asked "As long as you have a truck here do you want to take home that T body?" I need to figure a fair price and pay him, but it's here. I'm getting closer to having a whole car.

Latest posts

Back