Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I spotted this car on Craig's list while looker for the daughter in law a car. The add read that it was a 41 Zephyr, and they would sell or trade. I emailed the guy for more pics, as the add only had a side and interior view. When I received the pics, I was, WTF when I saw the front end. I knew the 41 Zephyr was a sharp car, and this front end looked totally different. After a little reasearch, I found it to be a 46-48 "H" Series Club coupe, the Zephyr name was dropped for 46, but it was basically the same car with only a grill change. I made arrangements to go look at it that Saturday. It was cold as heck when we drove up to look at it. It looked like a solid car that had had a lot of money spent on it at one time, but had sat neglected for a while. Surface rust bubbles, scratches, one dent, four dry rotted tires with two of those flat. It was just too cold to fool with trying to start it, so I took some pics and went home to study on it.

One month later, I decided to take my 74 Maverick and see if I could work out a trade. We loaded up and headed out. When we got there, the owner made me an offer before he had even heard the Maverick run. I wanted to hear the 47 run first, so we put a battery on it, poured a little gas in the carb and it fired and ran on the third round without any smoke or funny noises. I made a counter offer, he made another offer, I made another counter offer, we agreed and it was mine! I unloaded the Maverick, they used a wrecker to load the Lincoln, and we started home.

Here are some pics of the car after we got home, I was so busy and had my mind on the deal I forgot to take any while we were loading up!
100_1719_zpsbf4fdc05.jpg

100_1712_zpsd89d6389.jpg

100_1709_zpsfba4a240.jpg

100_1711_zps1dbca231.jpg

So far, i have just been looking things over to see what has to be fixed. Brakes are first, will be going with a power unit and dual master cylinder. Before I can finish the brakes, I have to swap out the rear end. It has a Mustang II 4 lug under it now that is too narrow, I was planning to swap it out anyway and then I found this under the hubcap!:eek:

100_1720_zps431075e5.jpg

Redneck engineering at it's finest! I just glad that the tires are rotten and had to come off anyway or I might not have found this for a while.:eek:

Saturday night after we got home, we went and eat Chinese. My fortune was "Everything must have a beginning" So, this is the beginning of my 47 Lincoln Coupe![cl

At first, I thought this was a 46. After further research, I found the serial number on the frame, and it is a 47. So it will be referred to as a 47 from now on. Making a list of things I need to replace. Found a dealer for many things like window rubber and other things. Now just need to find some money!:D

Great car. You don't see a lot of this make in coupe's. Seems like mostly fordoors.
Would make a great custom with the right chop!
Have fun with it.
Torchie.

Started on the cleanup yesterday. Years of mouse poop, leaky trunk due to no gasket, and just general dirt.
100_1721_zpsccf35b8e.jpg

100_1724_zps7683e826.jpg

100_1725_zps4e15342b.jpg

I blew the front out with the air hose, it looks better.
100_1728_zpsad2c62b7.jpg

The trunk area was finished in the same vinyl and carpet as the cabin. It was nice at one time. There was a wooden shelf area that the spare tire would have sat below. Sadly, with no trunk gasket, the rain destroyed the wood. So, out it went.
100_1730_zps8730feb1.jpg

100_1731_zps74c42920.jpg

100_1732_zpscb1773e2.jpg

Was surprised the trunk floor is in great shape, just some surface rust that should knock off with a wire brush. Found a couple of rusted through areas on the upper fenderwells, nothing a small patch won't fix. I will eventually pull the carpet out of the front, too. Floors will be wire brushed, and painted with Rust Bullet or Por15.

That done, I moved to the rearend. Went ahead and pulled the too narrow 4 lug out.
100_1736_zps626c58e0.jpg

Then, I got my tires out that I kept from the Maverick and set them up to determine what length rear I need. There is tons of room in those wheelwells! Those are 255/60/15's!
100_1738_zpsf79da8c5.jpg

No, it's not at normal ride height, it's on jackstands, but the tire and the radius of the wheel well is in good sync! I will be running these wheels for a while, later on I want a set of torque thrusts.
100_1735_zpsbd15b027.jpg

OK kiddies, that's about it for this weeks update. I did fool around and get it running a bit, the old carb is about stopped up so it didn't run real good, but it sounds good anyway. Will be swapping to an aluminum intake and four barrel before I start driving it anyway.

Oh, I took a clue from Skull and am leaving it on the trailer until I get all the underneath stuff done. With the center boards out of the trailer, it's like having a low lift!

good shape

QUOTE-Oh, I took a clue from Skull and am leaving it on the trailer until I get all the underneath stuff done. With the center boards out of the trailer, it's like having a low lift! -

Skull says your'e welcome:D glad l could help, even if it's long distance.

car looks in great shape[cl

waitin' on more updates[P

Later:cool:

[S I would never have recommended it but, those white lettered BF's really look good under the LincCoupe

Yeah, I was planning on turning the tires around so they'd be blackwalls, but now I'm not sure! I may just leave the white letters out just to be different!:D

Worked on getting the seats clean this week. Some simple green, a brush, two rolls of paper towels, and lots of elbow grease. Turned out really great, the seats look almost new!

I found these welded to the rear frame. I couldn't figure out what they were for at first.....

Then I looked up front and found these....

Yep, home made tube shock brackets! Look like they may have been put on back in the 50's when tube shocks first became popular. I've seen kits on ebay that were sold to do this, they probably just copied them. I'm going to leave them on and use them since they are so sturdy built, just gonna clean them up a bit with a grinder and paint them.

I also found a 8" rear out of a Fairlane today. Will probably go pull it next weekend.

looking good.
Once you start to drive this one you most likely will never pass another one coming the other way.
The 41 Ford frame that my project sits on has the same kind of tube shock bracets welded on. I am leaving them also. Was a very common type of switch.
Torchie. [P

Latest posts

Back