Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other side went a little easier since it was now fresh in my mind how to do it.
Old stuff:

And the new:

And now, onto the lines. A few posts back ,I showed the rear line in place loose. Here it is now, connected and bent and in the hangers:

At the "T":

Now, I needed a way to fasten the "T" so that only the flex line moves, and not the solid lines:

I decided to bend up a small sheetmetal bracket:

I then loosened up the U bolt and slipped the bracket under it with the "T" inside:

Now the flex line is the only one to move. I still have to fasten the lines to the frame going forward, I'll get to that next time. That's all for today, folks!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you need to take the brakes apart and put the shoes in their correct locations.

look at the picture of the old brakes and notice the shoe with the shorter friction material is on the front side????

you have both "short" shoes on the left side and both "long shoes on the right side.

they need to be in the short/front and rear/long positions to have a self-actuating effect.

other than that it's looking better all the time, keep at it!!

Damn fine car you have there, and getting finer by the day.
Bluenorther is right about the brake shoes, the back one has to have more lining on it, because, when you apply the brakes, the front shoe grabs the drum and turns a little bit with it, forcing the rear shoe onto the drum even harder. The rear shoe can't turn in the wheel because the anchor pin holds it. The rear shoe does the bulk of the braking so it has to be longer.
Keep on tinkering.

Well I be dang! I sure do! Good eyes, glad you noticed that! I had totally forgotten the long shoe-short shoe thing it has been so long since I fooled with drums. I didn't even look at them, just took them out of the box and compared them to the old shoes to confirm the right size, then stuck them on. :eek: I was more concerned with getting all the springs right....

Well, I guess this week I get to go through all the spring stretching crap again. :( Everything else I have has 4 wheel discs, I haven't done a drum brake in years. And I was so proud of myself for doing such a good job.....

Thanks again for pointing that out. I would have had braking problems and wouldn't have ever thought of that being the cause.

Bama, I don't see the spreader bar with the spring on it here either.
It just might be hidden

100_2125_zps4be07e33.jpg

Like this one
100_2127_zps3f75acd1.jpg

100_2127_zps3f75acd1.jpg.html

The spreader bar and spring are there, just hidden by the axle. I had to fight those buggers,, too. No self adjusters though, it diddn 't have any either side. Pretty sure thr fronts won 't have any, so i will have to keep them adjusted manualy, no big deal.

Hi Bam, I was doing some serious research last night [flipping through old hotrod magazines] and I proved to myself that if this car would have been a '41 like the ad said, you would have the best looking car, in the world. Those swoopy '41 grilles are 'to die for'. Can you put a '41 front end on there or is it more my dream than yours?
Keep on tinkering.

Mac, you have the same thoughts as me! When I saw the add, I went to Google to see a 41, and I was in love! But when the guy emailed me a pic of the front, I was WTF? I again went to Google to find what this thing was, found out that 42 through 48 were the same, only the grill was different on the 42, straight bars instead of egg crate.

I have often wondered about putting a 41 front cap on it, but those are big $$$. Heck, the grill alone goes for $1500-$2500,used, that's with pits! I would love to try it, though. The body looks similar, but may be way different, I don't know.

Oh, I got a few minutes to work on her today. Swapped the brake shoes to their proper places {egg on face}. Still can't believe I didn't notice that.

Put my new hood cable on, too. For some reason, I can't hardly get enough leverage to release the hood. I had to put a wrench behind the knob to be able to pull it enough to open the hood. No slack in the cable, either. I may have to find a cable with a T handle or one that mounts like a hinge with a long handle hanging down. Undecided on that yet, open to suggestions....

Hi Bam, I was doing some serious research last night [flipping through old hotrod magazines] and I proved to myself that if this car would have been a '41 like the ad said, you would have the best looking car, in the world. Those swoopy '41 grilles are 'to die for'. Can you put a '41 front end on there or is it more my dream than yours?
Keep on tinkering.[/QUOTE

Sounds more like my dream MercuryMac
1939-41. Quite possibly the best looking cars every built. Definitely the best looking American car ever built. IMHO.
The last dealer body shop I worked at had a 1941 Lincoln 2 dr convertible in it, in the last stages of a full restoration. It belonged to the dealership owner. He also had 2 1947 Lincoln Convertibles as well. They were both in need of a total restoration.
I used to sit and eat lunch while staring at that car. Kind of buckskin colored paint with a deep brown leather interior and light tan Hartzcloth top.[dr[dr[dr

Right before I left the shop he offered the 41 to the head bodyman in exchange for his doing the restoration on one of the 47's. The head bodyman asked me what I thought about the trade. I laughed and told him I would do it in a heartbeat. I don't know if he did or not.

The 41 front clip would be a fairly hard swap as the body's are not as close as they appear. 1946-8 are much wider I believe. Although the roof lines look alike.
There are some customized 39-41 lincolns out the that look like rolling sex:eek::D::eek:::D

In a perfect world I will be using a 41 Lincoln front bumper on my custom.....

Keep at it Bama.
Torchie.

Sorry to steal your thread Bama, but some of us like your car[dr[dr. All of the '39 to '41's have the really nice front ends but most of them are kinda yuccy on the back, but you have the coupe which is very cool.
Torchie has a point with the bodies of the next era cars looking the same but being wider. I researched putting a '41 Plymouth front on a '46 Dodge five window coupe, and got sadder and wiser, because the bodies are wider in the mid forties.

It's all good Mac. [cl I've probably been the one to hijack somebody else's thread myself a time or two.:D

49 and 50 Mercs look good lead sled style, but not for me.:rolleyes:
I'm a pre 48 man on just about everything.....

Back at it this weekend....

I got a few more things out of the way this weekend. Put the rear tires back on and set her down on the tires for the first time in months. Got the gas line ran from back to front, still need to pick up some clamps to hold itand the brake lines down to the frame. Went back and fooled with the new hood release cable, after a bit of adjusting, a little grinding, a little cussing, and some skin and blood, got it right. Just a light pull on the knob, and the hood jumps up like it's supposed to now. While resting from doing that, got to studying on the trunk latch. A little looking, a little adjusting with a hammer, and now it's working as designed, too. Then, on to the biggie, I started preparing to drop the wishbone away from the trans pan. Here's what 66 years of undercoating, grease, and rust look like. I was surprised the factory safety wire was intact, and after a bit of chipping away with a screwdriver and a hammer, the bolts looked brand new! The undercoating really did it's job!

I have been amazed at how easy most of the bolts and screws have came out of this car. Even the rusty ones, when broken free, have came right out with the exception of a few. I am going to put a spacer in to lower the wishbone ball to get trans clearance. Going to have to wait a few days to finish that though, next two weekends are full.
So, I moved on to the front brakes. Pulled the front drum, and to my pleasant surprise, the shoes look nearly new! Looks like a new wheel cylinder and some adapters to the new stainless flex line will do it there.

And lastly, after a nearly year long search, I found the last two emblems I was missing, one last week, one this week. And got them for my price, too. They won't be going on until after it gets painted, but glad I have them now. So, that's about it for now, more still to come.....

I managed to sneak in a couple of hours today after going to the first show of the year. I started on the bracket that will be dropping the wishbone. I'm going for a 1.75" drop at the ball, that will give me 1.5" or a little better at the transmission pan. Got the two main pieces cut out and smoothed up, and drilled one of the sets of mounting holes. Still need to drill the other holes, then scoot under the car and check fit it before I start welding the halves together. No pics today :confused:, I didn't take time to get the camera out. I'll take some when I get the bracket completed.

Dropping the wishbone like this makes the axle top lean toward the rear more, I just hope it doesn't put too much caster in it that it will be hard to steer.
That's all for this week, more later.....

Latest posts

Back