Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update time! Well, a little one, anyway. Not much going on, been busy with other things last few weekends. I did start on the wishbone drop bracket though. I started by seeing how far the wishbone needed to drop to get a safe clearance between it and the transmission pan, I decided 1 1/2" should do it. So, after removing the ball cup, I spaced the wishbone down and took some measurements for the drop bracket. Then I cut some steel and started putting things together

Here's the semi finished bracket with the original ball cup and the extra one that I bought off of eBay to make the mount with. I'm still undecided on whether to use short bolts and bolt the bracket in and then bolt the cups to the bracket, or just use two long bolts and go through everything at one time. If I do the latter, I will put crush sleeves on the bolt holes and more bracing. If I go with short bolts, I will have to put the bracing inside to clear the bolts and allow room for a wrench to tighten them. It all depends on being able to find bolts that work and playing with what works best.

That's about it for now. This is a very important piece, so I'm putting a lot of time into the design. I may be over thinking it and over building it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry later on. I'm sure I will add even more to it, maybe even another mount to the cross member. So, more to follow!

I agree, Bam, you should do lots of imagineering on this piece because every bump the front axle hits will be felt back here at the ball and socket. My vote would be if you made some pipe crush sleeves for your block and used the longer bolts, it would be stronger and simpler.
Keep on tinkering.

I'm leaning that way myself Mac. If I go that route, I can enclose the whole mount, effectively making it a solid box. The back will already be against the cross member, but I'm still thinking about adding another piece that will go over the cross member and bolt to the transmission mount. That way, the load will be spread instead of being only on the two mounting bolts. I have to test mount it again now that I have it welded up, if it's not quite enough a drop, I can use my original ball cap to get another 1/2" of drop since it's thicker at the bolt holes.

And I know my welding is ugly, if anybody noticed. I was fighting a self darkening hood that didn't want to darken. Hard to weld when you can't see, lol.

And I know my welding is ugly, if anybody noticed. I was fighting a self darkening hood that didn't want to darken. Hard to weld when you can't see, lol.[/QUOTE]
At least you can use the hood as an excuse Bam.
Even with a hood that does work I can't see to weld.:D
You are doing fine.
Torchie.

Hey Bama.
A few posts back you were asking about possible front suspension swaps.
There is a 47 Licoln coupe for sale on E-bay right now that says it has a Mustang II front end set up. No pics of the suspension but from the looks of the outside shots it appears to fit and and ride at a good height. And it most likely wouldn't envolve a front frame clip installation.
Just a FYI...
Torchie.

Is that the brown one? If it is, at one time they had about 50 pics of it on there. It's been on several times, never meets reserve, only gets to about $12,000. I studied the suspension on it pretty well, I didn't like the way it was installed. I've seen better installations. I'm leaning toward a Jag if I do decide to change it over. I think I can get it for less $$$$

I'm going to stay with the stock front end for now due to money reasons. Not even going to go power for a while, just going to stay with the stock box connected to my GM tilt column for now.

Hey Bama, after doing some more research, [flipping through old hotrod mags, [Boy the things I don't do for you guys]], I found the car for you,---- or me. The green one not the one in black.

Attachments

• swoopy Lincoln.jpg
    swoopy Lincoln.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 34
Brakelines

You might want to redo those brakelines out of the M/C, you don't the loops going uphill you want them downhill so you don't trap air in them...that's why GM Ford, etc make them that way.

OK, another big one to check off the list, the wishbone drop IS DONE! After spending the morning with the Vette, Big girl got her turn. When I left off last time, I had the basic mount finished, just was undecided on whether to use long bolts to mount it, or short ones, it was designed to work either way. Well, since 7/16 fine thread bolts are so so hard to come by, I had to settle on mounting it with short bolts since I could locate any long ones. So, I welded the nuts to the lower half to make it easier to mount the ball cups.

After a quick mock up to get some measurements, I laid out the lines on the second part, the rear brace.

A little cutting, and we have the rough shape

Then I had to bend it to fit, not having a vise, I used my farm tractor and a sledge hammer to make the bends. Tractors and equipment have all kinds of interesting places to put a piece of metal in a crack or slot and bend it. After getting the bends worked out, time to drill the mounting holes.

You will notice I had to add a tab at one of the bolt holes, yeah, I goofed up on cutting, got it too narrow on that end. Was simple to just add a tab and then drill the other hole. After a test fit, some paint to preserve it.

So, while the paint dried, I installed the cup mount. It fits snug against the cross member, so there will be no rearward motion. I then put on the rubber ball, the lower and upper cap, and finally, the brace. The brace goes over the cross member to the transmission mount tab, and insures the ball caps can't push rearward or pull forward.

Success! I now have clearance between the wishbone and transmission pan!

I had my wife watch while I jumped on the front bumper, and the wishbone never got closer than 1" to the pan. This was a small, but important part that took a while to figure out. I should have my front brake cylinders sometime next week, then hopefully it will be close to being able to roll it off of the trailer to finish up. She's getting closer all the time! Still have several parts to buy, but I'm getting excited!

Big plans for the weekend, but it wasn't to be so....
I had plans on having working brakes on the car by Sat afternoon. My front wheel cylinders finally got here on Friday, took 5 days for FedEx to get them here from California. I got in pretty early Friday, weather was nice, so I jumped on the job at hand. Got the front end blocked up on jack stands and pulled both front hubs. New wheel cylinders fit perfectly in spite of not being listed for a Lincoln, they were listed for several vehicles from the 40's up to the 80's, just not a Lincoln. Anyway, with two adapter fittings from Speedway Motors for the AN3 brake line, all the lines were now complete. I did however go back and re bend the short lines coming out of the master cylinder after it was pointed out to me they were above the fluid level and would be hard to bleed.

I'm still not happy with the bends, may go back and work with them some more. Anyway, I could see where the grease seal had been leaking, so I made a trip to the local hometown parts house to see about getting a pair. The original ford grease seals were still on the car, but had no part numbers. We were able to find a CR seal that was supposed to fit, but they only had one, so we ordered it anyway. It came in Saturday morning, and was correct, so my man got on his computer and tracked down another one from a different supplier. It won't be here until Tuesday, so that ended my ideas of having brakes by Sat evening.

Since I couldn't work on the brakes, I decided to clean up the engine bay a bit. I cut the old E brake cable off, cut loose a old broken choke cable, and pulled out a bunch of brittle wiring. Then the rain started back....
I am under the carport, but the car is facing out to the front, and the rain was blowing in right where I need to work. Plus it started getting colder, so I had some stuff that needed doing in the house, honey do stuff, so I went on in and did my penance. Maybe I can get back on it next weekend, but they're calling for rain then, too. :(

Ok, look close at this pic, it's the last time you'll see it on the trailer unless I'm going somewhere! No longer a trailer queen!

Yep, got the brakes finished, leaks stopped, and bled out. Finished up everything underneath except putting on the new undercoating and hooking up the speedometer cable, I'll have to run it up on my ramps to get to that, couldn't reach it on the trailer. And here you see my smiling mug as I rolled it off the trailer.

She looks good sitting on the ground. Stance turned out just right.

Poured a little gas in the carb, hit the switch, she turned over about twice and cranked and run! Purrs like a kitten! Going to hook up a temporary gas tank in front of the radiator so I can drive it to our local show an April 26. Still have to get the seats back in and the new wiring harness in before I start driving it much, also have to check out the factory gas tank. So, more to come, it's getting closer now!

[cl nice looking car. My dream car for years was a 40 Ford coupe, your car favors it a lot, but I guess that has past now . But I do like these years of body styles.

Latest posts

Back