I want to cleanup the appearance of this 351w

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howiess2000

Hey all,

I got a 351w out of a '77 Lincoln, since it is going into a car with no real engine bay I want to clean up the appearance, especially those "dern" vacuum hoses.

I read on the internet, (if its on the internet, its got to be true) to just remove all the vacuum hoses and your good to go. Does that sound right to you?

A couple of areas of concern:
the hose coming off the distributor.
the hoses that are connected to some modulator behind the carb.

I can supply pics if need be, but I thought I'd throw this question out there.
Thanks in advance.

The 351 w also has a hard steel tube that connects to the rear of the heads near the fire wall. You can remove those tubes (smog related) , and lug the heads with either a freeze plug type plug, or tap and use something similar to an oil drain plug. That will clean up a lot of stuff right there. Some carbs also have a plate that mounts under the carb that hoses are connected to. You can remove that plate and be done with those also. And, there is a 2 bolt apparatus that has hoses coming off of it near the left side of the carb(standing in front of the engine bay) ,that you can either buy or make a blank plate for. That will clean that up too. All smog related.

I'm sorry about revisiting a 2 year old post. Here are some pictures. I used different color tape for visual purposes. I'd like to know what I can eliminate and what I cannot.

-The yellow goes from the distributor to some type of plug in the back of the intake manifold
-the red goes from some sensor that plugs into the thermostat housing and goes back to the EGR valve.
-Blue starts in that plug in the back of the intake manifold and goes nowhere
-There is also another hose that connects to the plug in the back of the manifold that goes nowhere . (it is not marked with tape)
-white starts at the same sensor as red and goes nowhere.

Sorry again if this is elementary, I know how an engine works and lot of the parts, but this vacuum stuff has always been a mystery to me. Whether or not it is needed or not or do all these vacuum lines help?

If I could, I wouldn't mind getting rid of all these lines.

Thanks for your replies, I will continue to research this myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 21
You need the line to the distributor, connect it to any port BELOW the carb butterfly. If you are running an automatic trans, you will need one connected the same way, BELOW the carb butterfly, down to the transmission modulator valve. The EGR valve, which is on the plate the carb is bolted through, can be eliminated with a spacer as well as any vacuum line to it.
You will also need a PCV vacuum hose connected to the manifold, and if running power brakes, it will need a vacuum hose, too.

Bamamav, Thanks!

This answers my questions and more.

-Just to clarify, the plug in the intake manifold is technically below or downstream of the carb butterfly, so I could use that for auto trans and the distributor line.
-I'll look into getting a spacer for the carb and try to eliminate the EGR valve.
-No power brakes so I don't have to worry about that.
-I'll make sure the PCV system is setup properly.

(This all is temporary of course, until I want to upgrade this intake and carb. haha)

Thanks again its been a big help.

I made a boo boo , let me correct it....
Distributor needs to be connected to vacuum ABOVE the carb butterfly. There should be a port on the carb for this. That way the advance works with the throttle and not being full on all the time.

Latest posts

Back