latest bonehead metal project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See what you started.

This was a lifsize cow skull I did just before my back surgery. The buyer is mounting it on a competition BBQ I expect smoke will roll out of it while he is cooking.

Attachments

• 1cowskull.jpg
    1cowskull.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 282
Doc says, no bending twisting, or lifting for 6 months, and I won't heal up all the way for a year. I have not stepped foot in my shop for over a month now, and it is driving me crazy. I expect to be turning out small pieces in a month or so with luck. The problem I see is anvil work. swinging even a small hammer will probably be hard on me. I guess the real answer is I will have to wait and see. I cant risk doing damage to my spine again, they put in a bunch of plates and screws. Same kind of stuff we do, twist one of those off and you have problems.

Bone,
Just thinking about screws and plates in your back sounds painful as HAILZ..And I can't imagine shearing one off inside your body.....

Just follow the Doc's orders and you will be back to 100% in no time.

My back hurts just thinking about it.

bonehead I know it's tough but follow the docs instructions. It's better in the long run. A few of the guys I work with have had back surgeries, the ones that followed docs orders are doing fine however a couple of them got to feeling a little better and came back to work early. Both of them ended up hurting themselves and overall they were out longer than planned. Take it slow and heal right the first time.

I was trying to find some other pictures and found these, so I thought I would post. Still am not yet back in the shop yet.

Attachments

• bonehead seats.jpg
    bonehead seats.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 312
I rebuilt it in June. It was photographed by Mitzi in July and I had hoped it would have shown up by now in a magazine. I don't have pictures of the new wheel. Let me see if I can crop it out of another picture.

Okay, I don't have it. but are some others. The wheel is 1 in O.D. pipe rolled into a 15 1/2 inch circle . I built a center to fit a quick disconnect and came out of that with a 3-D maltese cross. Then I webbed each cross. The wheel is black and the webs are red. I'll get you a picture when My back heals a little more.

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 239
  • interior2.jpg
    interior2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 199
  • interior 3.jpg
    interior 3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 230
cool man .......id like to see that wheel here in arizona in the middle of summer at noon in 115 degree weather...lol

looks good

That is really cool. What is the process Bonehead? Do you start with drawings or just go freehand and see how it develops? Where do you begin on making it?

Don

I make most everything right out of my head. That includes alot of the furniture I build. Sometimes people want drawings first, but I always tell them I may make changes as I go, depending on how it looks. Below is a bathroom vanity for a fancy house. It ended up with a stone top.

Attachments

• copper vanity.jpg
    copper vanity.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 265
Wow. I only wish I had half the talent you do. No, on second thought I wish I had as much talent. :D

Your work is amazing. Take care of that back and here's wishing for a full and speedy recovery.

Latest posts

Back