Wood is good.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep it coming, Torchie. I can't imagine any objection to a build thread, but I'll follow no matter where you post. [cl

Thank you good Dr.:D
If the moderator wants to move it to the build threads that's cool with me.

At this point I am working on the back half of the bottom. This is where most of the pounding takes place so it is prone to more issues. This is also the area of the hull that the boat rides on once it is up on plane.
As can be seen from the pics I am finding more half fast repairs.
The first pics shows an area where 2 planks are butted together. There is a butt block that was factory installed behind this joint. The white spots indicate the factory fasteners. The other bright ones were installed as a stop gap measure. Plus the heads were filled with some sort of epoxy filler which is a PITA to get out of the screw slots.
The other 2 pics show more of the same type of repair. These screws have to come out before I can get to the factory ones.

Thanks for all the comments and for stopping by.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3185.JPG
    IMG_3185.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3186.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3184.JPG
    IMG_3184.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 20
Next time you think that something you are doing to your project is tedious. Just remember these pictures. :rolleyes:
And this is only one side of the bottom. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3188.JPG
    IMG_3188.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3190.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 21
Got all of the screws removed from the starboard side and pulled off the first row of planks.
You can see how deteriorated the factory canvas inner liner is and you can also see the diagonal inner planking. This is what CC touted as their double planked bottom.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3193.JPG
    IMG_3193.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3196.JPG
    IMG_3196.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3197.JPG
    IMG_3197.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Todays progress...
This is what you will see when you take apart the bottom of an unrestored 67 year old Chris Craft. :eek:
Now to do the other side.
Have a Great Thanksgiving every one.:D
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3212.JPG
    IMG_3212.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3213.JPG
    IMG_3213.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3205.JPG
    IMG_3205.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3204.JPG
    IMG_3204.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 21
Do you have the bow piece Torchie? or do you have to fabricate?

If you are talking about the "Cut water" which is the chrome or stainless piece that fits over the bow. I believe that my Bro-in-law has it smallfoot. The Rivieras had a 2 piece cut water as compared to other models that had a 1 piece. You can see the 2 piece cut water in the pic below.
As I recall, when he took the boat home it had all of the hardware with it. But that was 25 years ago.... LOL
Years ago I did a 24 " CC Holiday and we had to fab a new stainless cut water for that one. It never really did fit quite right but I was probably the only one that noticed.
Torchie

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 22
Yessir, that's the piece I was referring to, I just didn't know the proper name.

LOL. Most people don't smallfoot.
When I switch back and forth from boats to cars/trucks I really have to think about the proper terms used to describe things as boat nomenclature is a language all it's own.
Have a Great Thanksgiving !
Torchie

What is the proper name for the type of construction used on the planking? My ex brother in law was (and still is) a wooden boat builder by trade and he used to teach me terms, most of which I have forgotten. Lapstrake is the only one I remember.
Does this method require calking? I watched a pretty good hand caulk a hull in Port Townsend and it was a sight to remember.

What is the proper name for the type of construction used on the planking? My ex brother in law was (and still is) a wooden boat builder by trade and he used to teach me terms, most of which I have forgotten. Lapstrake is the only one I remember.
Does this method require calking? I watched a pretty good hand caulk a hull in Port Townsend and it was a sight to remember.

This type of build is called Carvel planked Willowbilly. No caulking on these.
The Thompson that I was working on when I began my truck build was a lapstrake as the planks overlap each other.
I helped a guy caulk an old wooden hulled sailboat one time. Like everything that is done well, there is an art to it.
Torchie

Last edited:
Not much progress over the holiday.
The first 2 pics shows a strip of wood used to cover the inner chine. There was 105 screws holding just this piece and it is strictly cosmetic. :eek:
Which points to one of the many reasons these restorations are so time consuming as well as expensive.
I also have started to pull the row of side planking closet to the bottom to expose the knees.That's the area where the side frames attach to the bottom frames. Always an area prone to problems.
The last 3 pics shows how some one in the past tried to fix those problems.
Thanks for looking in...
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3216.JPG
    IMG_3216.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3215.JPG
    IMG_3215.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3217.JPG
    IMG_3217.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3219.JPG
    IMG_3219.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 17
Slow going since Thanksgiving but I did manage to get the last 3 planks removed from the Starboard side bottom today.
Now on to the Port side.:eek:
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3226.JPG
    IMG_3226.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3230.JPG
    IMG_3230.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3229.JPG
    IMG_3229.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 11
Bet you're taking screws out in your sleep lately...like you need more practice huh?

very cool post.. keep up the hard work !!!

After a while you start to see them were they aren't small. :eek: ;)

This is the tedious part of the whole project 23crate. That and putting them back in. :D
Started to strip the bottom coat off the port side. Then time to recharge the screw guns and sharpen the plug cutter.
Torchie

I used paint stripper on the port side to uncover the screws as grinding off that old Copper coat bottom paint was pretty nasty even with wearing a respirator.:eek:
This is all the containers that contain all the different size screws from all of the different bottom parts removed so far. This shows just the screws from the fist bottom side so this amount will be doubled.
I will need to save these to get a count as well as knowing what sizes of new screws to order when the time comes. I will be using silicon/bronze screws for the restoration.
Weather is going to turn colder here so I am working on getting the rest of this bottom off as soon as possible.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3234.JPG
    IMG_3234.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts