another hobby.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couper, I'm not much of a competitor so I don't build things to race with. No race. This is a legitimate potato hiller, although maybe 'homemade looking'.

28, potatoes grow pretty close to the top of the ground and as they get bigger and bigger, some of them burst up through the soil. This exposes them to the sunlight which turns them green and makes them inedible. We pile dirt up around the bottoms of the stems early in their lives and keep the potatoes covered. Usually you're weeding as you are hilling too. Usually you're doing all of this with a garden hoe, well, ---- not me, anymore, hopefully.
Laziness is the mother of all inventions.

Thanks for the education on the potatoes Merc.....very cool. I'm good at growing flowers but have extreemly bad luck growing vegetables....even tomatoes. When they do grow the dam chipmunks eat them before I can pick em....Arrrgg

MM-- Thanks for the education, will be interested in seeing it in action. Be sure to get some pictures. Good building. [;)[;)[;)

You're welcome Guys.
Yet again I have jinked sideways. The last couple of days have been spent on my 'long neglected' Dodge one ton. I think the transfer fuel pump went out on the Cummins, so I'm changing that and some other needed repairs and maintenance.
It looked like my potatoes got touched with frost last night.

When I was a kid, we tried growing potatoes one time. I remember we got some sawdust from a 50 year old sawdust pile at an old sawmill and shoveled that around them to make them easier to dig up. Yes, in the old days, sawmills around here piled their sawdust up on the ground in piles, it didn't get used back then like it does now. Most of the time, the piles would be burning, either set on fire or just spontaneous combustion. They would smolder for years until they were gone. Don't know of any left anymore, guess they have all been cleaned up by now.

Potatoes would be a lot easier to dig with some sawdust mixed in the dirt surrounding them. Good idea.
Sawdust piles can light themselves on fire. The fresh sawdust is green when it's put in the pile so it rots down slowly and creates heat.
Nearing spring, one winter, I was hauling sawdust out of a big pile that my Uncle had made thirty years before. We were spreading the sawdust on an oilfield road to act as insulation to keep the frost in for another couple of weeks. Anyhow, as we dug into the pile a wee bit we could see steam rising, more and more. It was getting hotter as we got deeper into the pile. No flames yet though.

Here's more on the potato hobby. This is an old Allis-Chambers potato digger that is really worn out. I spent all afternoon fixing it up, so I could spend a few minutes digging my spuds before it starts freezing at nights. They will sit out there on the ground until sometime tomorrow so they can dry out a bit. Then I'll sack'm and stack'm in the far corner of the shop where they'll keep fairly cool.

Attachments

• IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 20
I've done some Imagineering on how to make the other side of my potato hiller. It has to be the mirror image of the left side. Here's what I came up with. I laid out some cardboard on the finished moldboard and drew around it, cut that out and placed it upside down on the next 'donor plow' moldboard [pic one] and drew around it, then cut it out. [pic two] is the new 'right-side hiller' moldboard. Because the plow moldboards are multiple complex curves they are not the same, up-side-down. Here I am trying to bend the moldboard more at the new bottom side, [pic three].

Attachments

• IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2955.jpg
    IMG_2955.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 14
More building today. The share is welded on the moldboard and front mounting bracket is welded to the front of the moldboard at an angle so I can run an arm up to the main crosspiece. Here's a pic of the right side mocked up.

Attachments

• IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 13
I've been picking away at the potato hiller again and it's almost done now. The right hand half is finished and mounted.
I won't be able to show you some shots of it 'hilling' in the garden, because we have had almost an inch of rain in the last week and there is no chance of that drying out before freeze-up.

Attachments

• IMG_2962.jpg
    IMG_2962.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2963.jpg
    IMG_2963.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 15
Me too, Smallfoot, but I can't test it this fall.
I'm not much of a horse guy, but I hang around the draft horse club. I think I'll have to use a vintage tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 14
I didn`t think you were Mac. The tractor will do the job too... you might want to look into restoring a narrow track for your potato field [P

I got a bunch of gravel spread on my driveway and yard, so I needed to smooth it down and level it. My son-in-law offered me his newly made blade. I borrowed it and my daughters tractor and worked my yard over. I was quite happy with the results. Today I took the tractor and grader back to their place and retrieved my little Ferguson. I put her Ford in the hay shed with her Minneapolis-Moline. I saw that all of her hay customers have not got their bales out of there. Anyhow, I brought the Ferguson home and will put it in the machine shed for winter.

Attachments

• IMG_2972.jpg
    IMG_2972.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2974.jpg
    IMG_2974.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2971.jpg
    IMG_2971.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 21
Thanks Dutch.
I forgot to tell you guys 'the rest of the story' on that Ford tractor.
My Dad bought that 5000 Ford brand new in 1967. Here he is baling hay [pic two]. Guess who the poor sucker is out the back ridin' the bale sloop and trying out his new birthday camera. After a while the tractor got traded in on something and it wandered around the area for the next 35 years. I usually knew where it was, [which was flukey]. Then one day, a guy who my daughter, Chanelle, was custom haying for, came to our house and said, "Chanelle, I'm giving you your Grandfathers tractor, with the operators manuals, with his name in them, ------- and I'm giving your Dad something, too". I was beside myself with great joy, hey, if he's giving out old tractors, well I'm all in.------ "Yep," he said, " I'm giving him a job, ----- He has to put a new clutch in that Ford". --- Uhhhh.
Anyhow, Chanelle had to keep haying his acreage until he moved to town a few years later.

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Iain baling.jpg
    Iain baling.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2971.jpg
    IMG_2971.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back