New life for the '30 Chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That polyester webbing should last for years. I have a constant supply of it since that's what I use to tie down loads with it. I used a couple of pieces under my transmission mount yesterday along with a piece of rubber conveyer belt. It will with time mash down, but you can snug the bolts and it will be fine. Biggest problem I have with it is putting holes in it for bolts to pass through, a step drill bit works pretty good.

Good idea, OS.

Thanks Bob. It's my inner simplistic tightwad making an appearance. :eek::rolleyes:

That polyester webbing should last for years. I have a constant supply of it since that's what I use to tie down loads with it. I used a couple of pieces under my transmission mount yesterday along with a piece of rubber conveyer belt. It will with time mash down, but you can snug the bolts and it will be fine. Biggest problem I have with it is putting holes in it for bolts to pass through, a step drill bit works pretty good.

I figured longevity would be pretty solid. For the holes I a point on a piece of #5 rebar, heated it up with the torch, and it slid through like butter-edges burnished up.

One thing I didn't think about was it mashing down over time- appreciate that note. :) Access to snug would require taking a couple pieces of wooden floor panel off but not too terrible of a thing. Henry Ford would be proud that I'm using long leaf pine for the flooring! :cool:

All the activity on this site is inspiring.....

Starting to put together a connector list for the air line related stuff- rear bags, solenoid, a few gauges, pressure regulator, dump valve, air chuck, air horns, etc. Also made mounts for the tank going under the bed. Just need to weld it up and take some pics.

:D

:eek: Hmmmmm :rolleyes: an air ride seat would be cool [S

Between working and some medical needs seems like I haven’t been here forever- but some things have been happening for sure.

Got the remote jumpers installed. The side view pic is a little deceiving making it look like the clamps would be dangerously close to the spring hanger bracket- but the bracket is set well back in on the frame. The ends of the jumpers are plumb with the bed frame.

Also got the air tank and compressor in. Will be adding an additional tank up on the bed that will follow the looks of the truck.

Attachments

• Remote jumpers 1.JPG
    Remote jumpers 1.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Remote jumpers 2.JPG
    Remote jumpers 2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 19
  • Air tank 1.JPG
    Air tank 1.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Air tank 2.JPG
    Air tank 2.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Air tank and compressor.JPG
    Air tank and compressor.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 17
Air lines. After talking with a few here and doing some research I decided to use DOT rated brass fittings just because it feels and looks right. Sometimes it’s okay for me to spend a little more money on some things…

The brass bulkheads were about 1” too long for both tighter fitting up under the splash apron and on the inside of the cab which will be covered by the kick panel. I shortened all those and then had to re thread the left over bare brass for 1/4 NPT to keep everything same-same. From there, lines will go to the regulator with cool handle (TBD) in the dash area and up to the gauge/back out to the bags. Plastic lines will be hidden from all but climbing under the truck.

I like the look of the copper and brass at the cowl area. Will tweak those lines a tad before all is said and done as the bends climb up the side of the cowl.
Different. Right for the truck.

Attachments

• air line 1.JPG
    air line 1.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 20
  • air line 2.JPG
    air line 2.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 20
  • air line 3.JPG
    air line 3.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 20
  • a.JPG
    a.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 20
  • air line 4.JPG
    air line 4.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 19
  • air line 6.JPG
    air line 6.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 19
  • air line 5.JPG
    air line 5.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 19
  • air line 7.JPG
    air line 7.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 18
Good choice on the DOT fittings, air leaks can be such a pain in the A$s[P[P

Thanks Dozer. This is my first venture into the world of air on a hot rod. Looking forward to sparking up the pump and hearing some air move. :cool:

Somewhere in the mix pretty quick I'll be addressing the steering so I can turn the rascal with a steering wheel. So much easier to move out for pics in the sunshine! :D

how are things coming along...? long time no see [S [P

Thanks for checking in Dutch. I'm typically (though not all the time) one of those"all-in" or not kinda guys. Glad to have seen in my email that you'd posted because I've not been on the site since the first part of May when a medical issue shifted my hot rod world in neutral for a short period physically. Mentally (along with normal life stuff) it has taken me a while to get back into the saddle but....

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I'm going nuts wanting to get back in to the build, and to get caught up with all that you guys have been doing.

You've helped get me off dead-center. Will be back in the mix soon. Much appreciation!:)

Latest posts

Back