New life for the '30 Chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Pal,

Glad your moving at it again. We talked but I can't remember the issue. I've been down as well with my shoulder, then the blood clots. I'm moving slow, cleaning up the garage and we're gona take a stab at that leaking ollector on Monday. No fun not being in the garage. Ring me up if you need to vent bro.

Hey Pal,

Glad your moving at it again. We talked but I can't remember the issue. I've been down as well with my shoulder, then the blood clots. I'm moving slow, cleaning up the garage and we're gona take a stab at that leaking ollector on Monday. No fun not being in the garage. Ring me up if you need to vent bro.

Thanks Coup. Feels great to be back on it. Went to a good sized swap meet yesterday and picked up a few old C clamps, a couple small goodies for the truck, and some other misc items that I couldn't leave behind- imagine that! :D

Built a shifter from stuff laying around (will toss up some pics later today hopefully) and been piddling with the air lines/gauges inside the cab. Should be pulling the original steering box today- getting ready to start working on the column and new steering box.

Hang in there man- do what you can without over-doing it! ;)

Where does time go?

Seems I woke up and feel like I've been in a time warp, but here we go... :)

Haven't been totally away from the truck but minimum for sure. Piddling with the air lines, I picked up from ebay what seems common these days (design wise) but made in the U.S.

The big black push/pull pressure adjustment knob definitely wouldn't look right so I removed that and did some modifications to be able to screw on an old knob I found at an antique store for a couple bucks. Drilling out the end of the shaft went easy enough but the tapping part didn't go so well, the tap breaking off the end of the shaft which, of course, didn't want to be drilled out. :mad: Challenge time.... [S

Attacking in a different direction, i was able to drill across it, changing from simple screw-on to a roll pin mount. :D I can now stand with the door open and adjust pressure while looking at the trailer load. The gauge, which is old and cool, can be seen from looking in the window and looks pretty neat. I will have a redundant gauge (of a different look) up on the overhead console just to add to/keep the flavor of things going. :cool:

Behind the dash I'd read a suggestion from a guy a long time ago on another site about painting the unseen underside of the dash white which makes for better viability when working underneath. Boy was that right. ;)

Attachments

• Regulator 1.jpg
    Regulator 1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Regulator 2.JPG
    Regulator 2.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Regulator 3.JPG
    Regulator 3.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 19
  • Regulator 4.JPG
    Regulator 4.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Regulator 5.jpg
    Regulator 5.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 20
Glad to see your getting better [cl
Little steps will get you there :D

Good to see you back. [P[P

Thanks guys! I thought I'd responded! :eek: :D

:cool::cool:
[cl[cl[cl

Very cool indeed!

I say! Rather a bit of steampunk flaver. Looks ace.

Thanks all! Starting to feel like I'm somewhat getting back in the grove and gett'in "the itch" to spend more time with it.

One of the things bouncing around in my cranium is whether to go with a simple, functional bench seat or.............. finding or fabbing up a couple of air ride seats. Steampunk-ish, big truck-ish, more air gauges. Definitely not typical. Hmmmmm.. [S

Big truck seats likely too big/bulky (not to mention pricey). I had an air shock from an HD FL solo seat about 10 years ago which would've been a possibility but of course I don't have it any more. Open to suggestions. Maybe modify a riding mower spring-type seat? Research time :D

Hey OS..... Glad your back at it. I am as well.....until I get the next shoulder done that is. I'm going to ring you up over the next few days. Whats a good time for you?

Fab up a couple of leaf springs with a good sturdy frame to hold it to the floor. You may have to work with the length on them depending on how much room you have. If you cut it or drill it anywhere just keep it cool. You'll be surprised how you can cantilever those into use.

Hey OS..... Glad your back at it. I am as well.....until I get the next shoulder done that is. I'm going to ring you up over the next few days. Whats a good time for you?

Hey Coup. Cool deal. Tomorrow most any time. If I don't pick up I'll return the call shortly thereafter.

Fab up a couple of leaf springs with a good sturdy frame to hold it to the floor. You may have to work with the length on them depending on how much room you have. If you cut it or drill it anywhere just keep it cool. You'll be surprised how you can cantilever those into use.

Boy that is one to remember. I think you just knocked off the rust to my inner mad scientist door. Thanks Smallfoot![cl[cl[cl

Just checking back in. Seems I'm a lot slower "back on the build" than I'd thought. We finally just picked up a small piece of acreage about 2 1/2 hours away that we are going to homestead..... which means a nice "new" closed in shop for me! [cl

This process will take some time putting all the logistical pieces together (including the physical work) so I'll be juggling work, starting to move mass quantities of "stuff", and building for the months ahead. I'll be sparse around here for a bit but will try not to be totally MIA. :D

Continued best to all! [;)[;)[;)

Congrats on the acreage. You'll have no shortage of work now.

Personally I think simpler and more functional is better for a seat. I know a few people who have had something artsy in their car only to later change it out for something they wanted to ride in. Just a though.

Latest posts

Back