48 Chevy Fleetline

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, almost done now! :cool: Now would be a good time to figure out your exhaust routing - working it around the frame and the rear suspension can be a trick I found out.

I have thought about that. Im going to cut up the 4"exhaust off the big truck and run it over into the right front fender then beside the frame rail on the outside and dump it in front of the right rear. I don't think I could get that 4" through to the rear of the car if I wanted to. I plan on getting all the fuel and brake lines ran then set the body on it. getting the motor's drive pulleys set up to fit under the hood is the hardest part coming up. Then figuring out the wiring of the big truck to make it run. A lot of work but I did a rough estimate of what gas mileage I will get and it came out to 35 mpg. I had to use some estimates on weight and motor efficiency but I used the same numbers for my diesel truck and they were below what it actually gets so, if im lucky, I may have low balled the numbers for the car also. Time will tell.

moving along

I got the body sitting on the frame! It needs some more cutting to get it in the right spot (it needs to go forward around 4"s) and I still need to make body mounts and a floor but at least it looks like a car again:D

Attachments

• resized_IMAG0414.jpg
    resized_IMAG0414.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 66
  • resized_IMAG0415.jpg
    resized_IMAG0415.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 60
  • resized_IMAG0416.jpg
    resized_IMAG0416.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 70
  • resized_IMAG0417.jpg
    resized_IMAG0417.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 62
  • resized_IMAG0418.jpg
    resized_IMAG0418.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 61
  • resized_IMAG0420.jpg
    resized_IMAG0420.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 70
  • resized_IMAG0421.jpg
    resized_IMAG0421.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 55
  • resized_IMAG0422.jpg
    resized_IMAG0422.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 57
  • resized_IMAG0423.jpg
    resized_IMAG0423.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 60
  • resized_IMAG0424.jpg
    resized_IMAG0424.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for the kind words guys. I haven't gotten the exhaust under it yet. The fan is large and takes up a lot of room! It will have to go along with the alternator bracket. It does look as if all will fit under the hood with some manipulation, which is good because I think I measured about 50 times! A lot of work left to do but it was a good feeling seeing the body back on and verifying wheel base, tire size and motor size will all line out like I planned. :cool:

When you move the body forward, are you sure you won't have room for the fan? Either way, there won't be much room for a radiator. All I could fit with the frame horns in the way was a radiator for a '66 Mustang. I've thought if I needed more, I also might be able to stuff a couple motorcycle radiators on either side to help. Maybe some port holes in the hood would help too. So far my 350 barely stays cool enough as is, but it makes me nervous in traffic on hot days.

Sam, Im thinking of putting a rack and pinion on the front and fan would hit it. The other reason for wanting rack and pinion is so I have the entire width between the frame rails to mount a 24" by 36" ( rough estimate without going and taking measurements) radiator between the rails and then laid back at an angle. Im figuring on buying an aluminium racing radiator or I have been told they have them in certain sizes now where you cut the hole in the tanks and weld the necks on. Are you running an aluminum radiator?

Thanks Dirty rat, this is the first frame I have built so I was a little worried!

I haven't decided on tackling the steering or floor next. The car is rusty down low so building a nice floor would require pulling the body, putting it on the rotisserie and blasting it. Or I could patch it back together with signs but I know I would then want to fix it right later...

I love the rat look but I still feel the fab and mods should be of high quality and that would be tough to do without fixing a lot of rust.

If you put in a R&P, you could cut the horns a lot farther back and then have room for whatever size radiator you want.

Rack and pinion is looking like the way to go. I dont have the stock gearbox anyway and racks are not badly priced.

I love these cars. There are a couple around that I keep looking at. I don't have storage space.:(

Every time I see one, I envision a huge engine with a tubbed and narrowed rear end. I like the thought of a custom cruiser crossed with serious fast. I'm just daydreaming out loud here.

Nice work on the suspension and frame. I'm looking forward to seeing the body mounted.

I agree with you on the floor. Keep you fabrication quality high matching what you have already done. If you like sign, paint them on after.

Latest posts

Back