AB-ie has commenced

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
headers

are the headers going to kick back and run along the frame rails and have mufflers?-- square tubing? COOL[;)

some cops here say ya have to have mufflers and some just don't care, depending on the cop ya run into driving around Washington in the hot rod decides this "modification"[S

Here in Nebraska their pretty cool about it if your not driving like an idiot.
The sq tube will go into a round tube forward towards the cab then turn up into stacks!

NO MUFFLERS!

This type of build is what makes RRR such a great site ![cl
Not just out of the box, this makes me want to do try harder to be more innovative. You're helping to keep the 'ol fun meter pegged. :D
Can't wait to see what's next. [P

This type of build is what makes RRR such a great site ![cl
Not just out of the box, this makes me want to do try harder to be more innovative. You're helping to keep the 'ol fun meter pegged. :D
Can't wait to see what's next. [P

Thank you zzrodder since I was lurking for awhile before I even started my build all of you guys here were my inspiration, I have silently watched as this builds poured onto the pages of this site knowing that someday mine would grace these pages and hopefully not get lost.:)

no paint XXX2:D

Later :cool:

Ok Earthman and Skull there will no paint, I was considering powder coating the frame and suspension but as it has progressed the humidity here in Nebraska is terrible in the summer and everything is starting to match the body and we decided early on we wouldn't do anything with the body. So no paint!:D

I said earlier in the build trying to get this body put together was a challenge due to it not having any structure left in it, so I just tried to go with the curves and body lines as best as I could and I think it turned out good, until I went to put the roof on!!

null_zpsfd6e272a.jpg

Yeah it is nowhere close to fitting and I have no idea how this body could ever fit that roof. So now what I don't want a flat roof and I don't have an English wheel!

null_zps371e97b7.jpg

I had talked about maybe making a removable hardtop like Bonehead is doing on the gunslinger truck so here is my compromise.

null_zpsc01b54d0.jpg

null_zpsbc84b829.jpg

null_zpsdc092831.jpg

null_zps4c042879.jpg

null_zps36209e57.jpg

Putting some strength into the skin and creating some curve in the roof

null_zpsf45534b4.jpg

null_zpsc54a091f.jpg

null_zpsa5f0ccc4.jpg

Gonna have a friend make a removable vinyl tonneau for the roof so we can go semi topless if we want to!

null_zps61f42850.jpg

My brother from another mother works in a glass shop so he is doing all the glass, it's laminated so I went get stabbed in the face in case it breaks!

null_zps1ee70755.jpg

Got the crank all mounted solid and moving freely

null_zpscf71c100.jpg

null_zps5803abc8.jpg

When I was talking with Heidts about the front suspension and certain dimensions were given my track width would have been too narrow. I wanted the frame to taper from behind the grille to the cab and mostly be hidden be the tin, so using the 11" upper and 14" lower A-arms along with a dodge omni rear steer R&P I extended the mounting points for the A-arms out 4" farther than the Heidts design achieving the wide stance that would match with the Jag IRS.

null_zps42239449.jpg

I had to use an inner rack extension kit to extend the width of the rack center to center so I don't have any bump steer issues.

null_zps575f18b0.jpg

It's kind of hard to see here but the rack is mounted form the top side. There are 2 pieces of 1" pipe sleeved thru a 2x2x1/4 wall square tube.

Hi Strange willy, keep up the good work. I'm glad that you kept the curve in the roof edges, as that always looks a way better. It is a bad feeling when you build and build and then find out the last piece doesn't fit,----- but you cheated the devil and made it work. Very good.
Keep on tinkering.

Hi Strange willy, keep up the good work. I'm glad that you kept the curve in the roof edges, as that always looks a way better. It is a bad feeling when you build and build and then find out the last piece doesn't fit,----- but you cheated the devil and made it work. Very good.
Keep on tinkering.

Thank you MercuryMac. I think it turned out for the better I really like the look.

null_zps4408bee4.jpg

So I'm 6'2" with knees that don't work like they should and this thing is fairly tight and could use some leg room at least for my right leg and go-fast pedal.

null_zpscfa47980.jpg

Flipping the hump will gain me 6" in the center if the cab, I'm glad this thing doesn't have a tranny hump as well.

null_zpsd67942f1.jpg

null_zpsb983581e.jpg

null_zps84b0bd66.jpg

null_zps529936ac.jpg

null_zps29cc34db.jpg

I have had these sitting in the garage since I started the frame, this thing needs some tire. Mickey Thompson sportsman S/R 26x10x15 for the front and 31x18x15 for the rears. Searched and searched for rims that would fit the look I was after, what do you put on a 31' Willys? I didn't really want any chrome or aluminum since nothing else is schiney. So I found a company to custom build my wheels 15x14 rears and 15x8 fronts I waited not so patiently for them to show up and I believe it makes the truck!

null_zpsdb3cf825.jpg

52 spoke wire wheels powder coated black

null_zps1511dd3e.jpg

null_zpsfaa1fc8b.jpg

null_zps0f98f2d6.jpg

null_zps8dfb5d5c.jpg

I think the truck needed this much tire and wheel to fit the proportions of this beast

null_zpscec1ec5c.jpg

Oooooohhhhh dat ass!

null_zps0e0e731a.jpg

My brother helping me move the truck from my work to home gonna have to finish it at the house.

every thing looks great, right tires, right stance, motor is spot on and the build concept and workmanship are great:D

but those wheels just don't look right and take away from the awesomeness of this truck:(

just my opinion.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
I really like them. But then again, anything with really fat rear tires I find totally awesome [dr This thing is simply awesome. Keep up the excellent work, loving all the pictures.

Latest posts

Back