Free Storage Bins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

He's just one of them Rusty-Chainers!
My buddy Youngster showed me this tip. Another buddy gives me all the cans I can use.

Start with a gallon can from the body shop.
Photo0044.jpg

I have fence set up on the bandsaw table. Go slow when feeding it through.
Photo0045.jpg

The split
Photo0046.jpg

Trim the corners of the can down 3/4" for the hem.
Photo0047.jpg

I made these hand brakes, but you can also use a duck bill welding pliers.
Photo0050.jpg

Making the hem.
Photo0049.jpg

Photo0048.jpg

Last edited:
Finished
Photo0051.jpg

Here are some in use, you can even put a smaller hem on the scrap piece and put in drawers.
Photo0040.jpg

These are 1/2 gallon cans
Photo0041.jpg

necessity--------- mother of invention.
or.............................................................
hey bubba, where we gonna put this valuable merchandise we picked up?...toss me that can.

I love the idea. I will be using this.

My Dad used to do that too. Never bothered to fold over the lips though. I swear that mans skin was rhinoceros.

truly a great idea. i am going to stop of at the body shop down the road tomorrow and see if he has any to get rid of.
icebox

I use old cans for target practice.

I find that the more storage I have....the more worthless cr@p I collect.

This is a great idea and I have a few cans set back to do, But......... Be extremely careful when cutting them if they have had highly volatile material in them. I'm not a safety freak (actually quite the opposite :eek:) but this has been in the back of my mind since I saw the original post.

You can do thae same with the plastic one the engine oil comes in. Has the handle built in, store nicely on their sides. Better for lighter items, globes etc. Saves sending them out to recycle.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back