Sids Dropped Axles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Called to order a dropped axle this,morning. Go an email after giving them a $50 deposit, stating that I would pay shipping both ways on my core axle, and the one they are shipoing. Anyone ever done business with this guy? Can ykou shed some,light on your experience?

Well, I thought I was ordering an axle from him yesterday. The price is $350. But, by the time I ship him mine,,pay shipping, then pay shipping on the one he has, the axle cost is well over $500. Think Im gonna go another route. Like I told,him, theres too much logistics involved in order to purchase his axle.,Thanks

Well, I thought I was ordering an axle from him yesterday. The price is $350. But, by the time I ship him mine,,pay shipping, then pay shipping on the one he has, the axle cost is well over $500. Think Im gonna go another route. Like I told,him, theres too much logistics involved in order to purchase his axle.,Thanks

Have you priced out other high quality dropped axles? That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Sid does THE nicest dropped axles in the business. I have used several of his axles over the years on several different applications, and they are second to none. He is a genuine hot rodder, hard working dude, a nice guy and running a one man show to boot.

His work is top notch and the recommendations are well deserved.

This axle came from Speedway Motors. Perfect example of why I ONLY use original Henry Ford axles under any car I build. They are extemely lucky they didn't kill anyone with this Chinese garbage. :mad:

Look, I know none of us are rich here. There are places where concessions can be made to budget, but major suspension components aren't one of them. Call me crazy, but my life (or someone else's) isn't worth saving a couple bucks...

100_4452-jpg.1658340

100_4448-jpg.1658339

100_4455-jpg.1658341

I guess it all depends on how important it is to you to have an original Henry axle under your car , or not. Me, I could care less. For years I had an original Ford axle that was dropped years ago under my 27. I always had slight handling issues and tire wear was happening a lot.

When I redid the car a few years ago, I had enough of that axle and bought a forged axle from Speedway, and the car now handles like it should and my tires wear perfectly. The kingpin bores were sized correctly and it went in without a hitch. It was also very smooth and only took a little prep to paint it.

I think you will be as happy as I am, blacksheep. You made the right decision.

The rust patterns on the fracture surface indicate there was likely a pre-existing crack in the casting, BED. Good photos.

Blacksheep, best of luck. If you bought a cast axle from Speedway then it's not anywhere close to the same quality of the one Sids would have sold you. When getting an aftermarket I-beam axle, forged is always your best bet. Many use cast axles with success (of any brand), some don't. Best of luck with it.

I guess it all depends on how important it is to you to have an original Henry axle under your car , or not. Me, I could care less. For years I had an original Ford axle that was dropped years ago under my 27. I always had slight handling issues and tire wear was happening a lot.

When I redid the car a few years ago, I had enough of that axle and bought a forged axle from Speedway, and the car now handles like it should and my tires wear perfectly. The kingpin bores were sized correctly and it went in without a hitch. It was also very smooth and only took a little prep to paint it.

I think you will be as happy as I am, blacksheep. You made the right decision.

Keyword Forged :)

This is the way I look at it -

I have NEVER seen evidence of a original Ford axle that has broken. Seen accidents severe enough to twist them up like pretzels, but never break. If anyone has a documented case of one breaking, I'd love to hear about it.

Conversely, there are MANY documented cases of aftermarket dropped axle failures. Yeah lots of them are used every day but again to me personally, my life isn't worth the difference in cost.

Beyond that, I'd much rather support an American small business ran by a real hot rod guy than funnel it across the ocean. The next time you look at old pictures of bitchin' local speed shops and wonder "where did they all go?" - Look at that Speedway box that says Made in China.

Good work ain't cheap, cheap work ain't good.

Rant over...;)

The picture here illustrates how ductile and resistant to metal fatigue Ford's vanadium steel was, and just the raw strength of the material they used. This was a Model T axle!

Ford did indeed pioneer the use of metallurgy in automotive design. I'll stick with it...

335321.jpg

Thanks for the replies fellas. I have spoken to many about the speedway axle ,and it has gotten good reviews from actual users. I understand the whole American made thing, and that's great. My biggest thing was giving,having to do all of the shipping and such. I want this truck on the road before the end of the year. So, I bought a front axle, thank you.

This axle came from Speedway Motors. Perfect example of why I ONLY use original Henry Ford axles under any car I build. They are extemely lucky they didn't kill anyone with this Chinese garbage. :mad:

Look, I know none of us are rich here. There are places where concessions can be made to budget, but major suspension components aren't one of them. Call me crazy, but my life (or someone else's) isn't worth saving a couple bucks...

100_4452-jpg.1658340

100_4448-jpg.1658339

100_4455-jpg.1658341

Ok, this is a cadt axle,made for Ford cars . My axle looks nothing like this one.

Latest posts

Back