Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > The "BS" Lounge

The "BS" Lounge Off topic posts & general stuff with no category! You talkin' to ME?!?!?!

Old 07-28-2020, 10:20 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Refresh my memory... your spoiler is buggered as well?

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 07-29-2020, 07:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Haven't got a spoiler. Was Mia when we got the car. Factory wrap around was made out of urethane, they didn't last but about 10 years. A repop fiberglass one is about $400, but shipping is about the same because it's considered oversize. I'm planning on a pedestal style, much cheaper and looks better IMHO.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:54 AM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanks Bama. The pedestal style is much better looking!

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Old 07-29-2020, 08:44 PM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

I was leaving a bar in Louisville Kentucky in my El Camino when a upset biker hit the back window with a chain. I picked glass out of my noggin for days and there was still glass in that carpet every time I cleaned it.

The guy was a really poor sport after a couple times of me poking him in the nose and the bouncer threw us out.

Sorry I just had a flash back to my hell raising days in the Army when you mentioned shattered back glass.

Hope your insurance comes thru for you

'52 WILLYS JEEP PICK UP

'47 DODGE SHOP TRUCK

'48 DODGE PILOT HOUSE RAT

MIND OVER METAL
SO LITTLE MIND IT DON'T MATTER
Old 07-30-2020, 07:07 AM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-R-POPS View Post
Sorry I just had a flash back to my hell raising days in the Army when you mentioned shattered back glass.
I was stationed at Ft. Knox and had more than a few entertaining nights in Louisville as well...
Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Found a parts car with a good hatch, but no spoiler. Going to go look at it Sat, if I like what I see, Iíll probably drag it home....
Old 08-01-2020, 06:02 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Drug home the parts Firebird today. Got some good parts on it still, power steering box, floor shift column, looks like there might be some interior bits I can use, too. Just gotta figure out how to get the doors open, neither one will open. Hatch lock has been punched, so I can open it with a long screwdriver. Hatch and glass are perfect, just going to have to paint it. Not even sure what year it is, he said 84, but until I get the door open or look at the VIN I won't know. Has a full set of Pontiac ralley wheels on it, but they're 14". Doors have rust as do front fenders, but flat hood looks good.

Going to pull what I want and try to sell the rest for a few bucks back. I'll get some pics up tomorrow...
Old 08-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Pics as promised....

Can't see the VIN, glass is foggy in that area, so I guess I'm gonna have to get the door open somehow....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parts bird.jpg (115.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg parts bird 2.jpg (125.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg parts bird 3.jpg (193.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Rocket Surgeon

The doors won't open from the inside?

Why change the entire hatch? Is changing the glass that difficult?

I'm not criticizing, just curious!

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Old 08-02-2020, 08:46 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The glass is bonded or glued to the tail panel. There is also a thin steel channel that fits on the lip of the glass. The hatch bolts through the glass at the top, the striker for the latch is on the flat tail panel, the gas struts also mount to the tail panel. On my yellow one, the tail panel had actually slipped backward an inch or so and wasnít aligned with the fenders, the red one aligns perfectly.

I could get a glass company to cut the glue and bond my yellow flat tail panel, but why take the risk of the glass shattering when they started cutting? Besides, my panel was drilled for the original wrap around spoiler that I donít have, and ainít gonna pay nearly $1000 for and still need to be painted. Iím figuring I can get a pedestal spoiler for around $200, paint it myself, then drill the flat panel myself, the hole locations are already there on the inner skin, just not drilled. Doing it that way, I wonít have to fill the holes for the wrap around on the yellow lid since I wonít be using them.

Follow me Dr C? I know itís a bit more work for me to swap hatches, but it gives me a lid without extra holes and eliminates the possibility of breakage from tryin to swap panels on the glass or the glue slipping and having a misalignment problem. Just trying to make the best of a bad deal...

I havenít tried crawling through and trying to open the doors from inside yet. Will probably wait until I get the hatch off. I donít want to get in there and the hatch shut and then be stuck with no way out! I canít tell on the ds, it looks like the handle is gone, the ps lock shows orange on the slide knob, which should be unlocked, but the outside handle acts like itís locked or stuck. Iíll get to it in time....