Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > The "BS" Lounge

The "BS" Lounge Off topic posts & general stuff with no category! You talkin' to ME?!?!?!

Old 08-02-2020, 09:52 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanks for your thorough explanation, Bama. Now that I understand the issues, I understand your reasons. (I'll bet the glass shops hate these things.)

Good luck with the swap!

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 08-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I hoped my description was clear. Would have better with a few pics, but not at home so that was out. Just had to ‘sprain it the best I could.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:38 AM
Rocket Surgeon

Perfectly clear.

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 08-04-2020, 07:46 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Scored a pedestal spoiler on eBay last night! Guy had it listed at $200 with a best offer, I offered $150 and he accepted. Might could have gotten it cheaper, but might not have, too. Ordered the trunk weatherstripping today, ours was pretty worn out, so might as well change it. Now if me and the insurance lady could quit playing phone tag and actually talk, I might be able to get it painted and get some of my money back. I’m not impressed with Grundy/ Philly insurance. Hard to get ahold of the folks you need to, and hard to get them to understand what’s going on. Hopefully it gets better....
Old 08-07-2020, 04:09 AM

Sorry to hear about those trubs. Did an appraiser ever come out?

I have Hagerty, full coverage, and I never posted about this but I had a parking lot incident where the trunk of the 53 was pushed in bigly. Collided while backing out with a guy backing out with one of those scooter things on the carrier on the back of the van. Also broke a tailight and bezel.

Appraiser came out a day later, took a bunch of photos, said it was 1500 in damages. I ironed out the trunk, (actually ran over it with my GMC to get it somewhat back in shape), applied bondo replaced two bezels and tail lens to match it all up. Cost: about 150. I pocketed the rest, accident forgiveness etc etc and rates didn't go up. Trunk not perfect, but not too noticeable.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I finally got to talk to the claims rep. After I explained about the glass being no longer available, and me buying a replacement hatch, she was OK with it. Got to take it to a body shop when I get the hatch put on and get it all painted to match. She moved it from a glass claim to a comp claim because of the paint work needed. Same result, no deductible. Spoiler is supposed to be here tomorrow, planning on putting it and the hatch on tomorrow. After body shop gets through with it, they get paid and I get back what I've spent.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:50 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Today turned out to be install day. Got a buddy to help me swap the hatch over to my car, that sucker is heavy! Put it on, was slightly out of alignment, but close. After I finished putting the 8N tractor back together after a fuel tank cleaning and coating, I went back to the hatch alignment issue. Had to remove an interior panel to get to the body side of the hinge mounts, loosened them a bit and pushed and pulled until it was very close, as close as I could get it anyway. Also adjusted the pull down latch, that helped a bunch, too. It's a little proud to the rear, but nowhere near as much as the other one was.

Then I started putting the spoiler on. The two front holes were easy, there was a factory access hole there, just had to drill the holes. The back two though, I set the spoiler on and marked the rear holes, then drilled them. Since there was no access holes there, I've got to get a hole saw and put one to get the nuts on, my step drill wasn't large enough to get the lower hole large enough with out the top one being too much oversize. So, for now, I just put the front nuts on. It looks great! Forgot to take any pics, I'll get some in the morning....
Old 08-16-2020, 10:16 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Pics as promised. Waiting on bodyshop appointment now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fbird wing.jpg (112.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg fbird wing 2.jpg (112.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Gonna have to be careful now, there isn't many of those cars left to get parts off of.

Last edited by Old Iron; 08-16-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Gonna have to be careful now, there isn't man of those cars left.
I think a lot of the spoilers stuck around for a while. I got one at the Portland Swapmeet 20-odd years ago and put in on my 74 Comet. It even looked right on it. It did make the trunk heavy, though. I had to make a prop-up rod for it.

Not taking anything too seriously.