Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using a kit from Classic Auto Air in Texas.
They have a set up they call a Street Rod Cooler IV.
It's a pretty compact unit to fit under this narrow dash.

I hope it will cool this contraption. We'll see.

I love the portable crimpers.
I bought the same one for personal use and paid for it the first week I had it doing other jobs.
If ya buy just the A/C ferrules from your local auto parts store (or on line), you can crimp the ends on air hoses that look factory and no more hose clamp repairs.

1e2c2aae-715e-422c-8996-9198e15d90b2_1.66ddc06053fb7e4f8a39a64bb8568d03.jpeg

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the tip.
[cl:cool::cool:[cl

I Ran the A/C lines under the hood today.
I love the portable hose crimp set up. So much easier than taking the hoses to get them crimped. Money well spent.

I was Getting ready to mount the under dash unit and noticed I haven’t done the wind shield wiper set up yet. Duh!

More clutter under the dash tomorrow.

Where did you get your crimper? Did you get the high dollar version or a Chinese knock-off?

Yes I am Old Pick up poor! I have three grown kids that will inherit them at some point. Until then I plan on driving a different one on a rotation plan.
The '47 Dodge is the most fun.

Having a few options for rides is fun. Last year, I found that sometimes I only had one or two that were ready to go at any time. This year that won't be the case.

The nice thing is then you're not in a hurry to finish a job on one, because you still have something to drive.

Which crimper is that? I was just looking at them online today thinking that for future projects I have planned that it would come in handy.

I bought this from amazon
IBOSAD Hydraulic Hose Crimper Hydra-Krimp 71500 Manual A/C Hose Crimper Kit

It is from China but has worked well so far and it was only $138.
It's sad that you can't afford to buy American made.
I've used it for A/C and power steering lines but it won't do hi pressure hydraulic hoses.

I've used it for A/C and power steering lines but it won't do hi pressure hydraulic hoses.

Mines from China as well Amazon VEVOR Canada tax made it $224. but is works good.

I saw similar looking kits online in the $650 range. I assume they were the USA made version. $138 is closer to my budget.

I saw similar looking kits online in the $650 range. I assume they were the USA made version. $138 is closer to my budget.

If I was trying to make a living making up hoses I'd buy a much better machine that would do hydraulic hoses too but I'm done with that part of my life.
I'm just playing now.

I’ve never bought anything on Amazon, but at that price I may very well do it soon. AC is on my list for this year, and that would save me having to go to the parts house to get all my lines crimped.

Windshield wipers..........

The windshield wiper set up from Specialty Power Window is the best system that I've used on any of my projects. Not to mention the easiest to install. I highly recommend it to get away from the undependable stock vacuum system.

I cut the back off the thingies underneath the dash that had the pullies and shaft that goes thru the cowl for the wiper arm mounts. That made it possible to maintain the angle needed to have the shaft at 90 degrees to the glass. If that make any sense!.
Then I drilled that out to 3/8" for the new shaft. I was able to use the original angled trim on the outside of the cowl. Then mount the motor in the kick panel, a couple of flares on the tube ends, cut the cable to length, time the transmissions, hook up the simple wiring to the switch and let her rip.

All I need now is a windshield and some wiper arms. :cool:

https://youtu.be/HHsu85eY4tc

Now I can get back to the A/C-Heater installation.

Attachments

• IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5394.jpg
    IMG_5394.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5395.jpg
    IMG_5395.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5403.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 17
Looks like a good product.
It's funny that you used zip ties to time your wipers cause, I did the same thing and had buddies make fun of me. It was the easiest way to do it.
[cl[cl[cl

Turned out really nice [c clean, simple and made in USA[cl

Good job :D

That's me, Clean-Simple and Made in the USA!!
Heavy on the Simple:)

Thanks.
I dreaded the under dash work for 2 weeks. The hardest part was finding a spot that was out of the way of the A/C unit and still be able to get to it if needed.

Looks like a good product.
It's funny that you used zip ties to time your wipers cause, I did the same thing and had buddies make fun of me. It was the easiest way to do it.
[cl[cl[cl

Some times I think you may be my brother from another mother. We think alot alike.

If I had stuck the wiper arms on they would have beat the crap out of the cowl cause the timing was way off. The zip ties didn't leave any scars.

I've used the SPW setup and similar kits before, sometimes they work, sometimes not so much... The biggest issues I've found are being sure to not have too small a radius on the bend(s) in the tubing, which can increase the effort need to move the cable, and putting a good flare on the tube ends to keep them from pulling out under load. Once you get the glass in I've found it necessary to reduce the tension on the wiper arm springs because that's the real test of how well they work, you won't always have a lot of water on the glass to ease their operation. My biggest beef with this and many other setups is the lousy pot metal knurled wiper adaptors, they are so fragile, its easy to strip out the tiny set screw...
Wish someone would produce a steel or even aluminum replacement for them.
You're getting real close to the finish line on this build, you must be getting excited to get it on the road [cl[cl[P[P

Latest posts

Back