Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OI, I'd like to ride in on your shirttails, -- on the Dielectric grease issue.
Everyone should have Dielectric grease on hand, anyhow, for electrical connections, especially plug-ins. This grease makes connections watertight, so corrosion proof.
Sorry about branching off of your grease post, OI.
No problemo
We use this stuff for everything.
A good story is that I was trying to install a 1-3/4 hose on a 2" fitting. couldn't get it to stretch enough so I lubed the inside of the hose and the freakin thing almost slid over it on it's own :eek:

No problemo
We use this stuff for everything.
A good story is that I was trying to install a 1-3/4 hose on a 2" fitting. couldn't get it to stretch enough so I lubed the inside of the hose and the freakin thing almost slid over it on it's own :eek:

...no such thing as too much lube.

I got the a/c system buttoned up and pressurized it with CO2. It held 50psi for 2days Then I pulled a vacuum on it and it held overnight so I think its all good to charge. No leaks on any of the hose crimps.

Got the wiring all done for this computer controlled thing. I hope I don't regret going with this. Like a lot of the newer stuff, it's all good till it isn't.

Then I needed the windshield in so I can finish the wipers. So I got it installed along with the rear slider and the passenger side rear window.

I had a heck of a time finding what I needed for wiper arms and blades to work on this thing. The third set should be here tomorrow and the wipers will be done. I HOPE!

Attachments

• IMG_5482R.jpg
    IMG_5482R.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5490R.jpg
    IMG_5490R.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5493R.jpg
    IMG_5493R.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 19
FWI these systems work best with exactly the refrigerant charge by weight that the manufacture suggests. Usually 28 to 32 oz.
One more thing too, do not add any oil if the compressor came oil charged, with out removing all of the original factory oil first.
I know you guys are aware of this but, doesn't hurt repeating it.

FWI these systems work best with exactly the refrigerant charge by weight that the manufacture suggests. Usually 28 to 32 oz.
One more thing too, do not add any oil if the compressor came oil charged, with out removing all of the original factory oil first.
I know you guys are aware of this but, doesn't hurt repeating it.

Thanks for the reminder Old Iron.. I need all the help I can get when it comes to A/C work.

Hey POPs did you use NYLOG on all the O-rings for sealant, it's what all the HVAC guys use.

No I didn't. I just used the O-ring lube that came with the kit.

Hey Pops can you walk me through how yo pressure tested your ac system?

I got a 1/4"NPT to 1/4"flare fitting to adapt my gauge set to the CO2 bottle on my Welder. Then hooked up to the gauge set charge line to the bottle, hooked up the Hi and Lo pressure lines to the gauges. Opened all the valves and screwed the CO2 bottle regulator up to pressure the system. Turned off the bottle valve and let it sit for 2 days. It held the pressure then I pulled a vacuum on it and it held. So I am ready to charge the system when I get to it.

Hope that all makes sense.

No I didn't. I just used the O-ring lube that came with the kit.

I got a 1/4"NPT to 1/4"flare fitting to adapt my gauge set to the CO2 bottle on my Welder. Then hooked up to the gauge set charge line to the bottle, hooked up the Hi and Lo pressure lines to the gauges. Opened all the valves and screwed the CO2 bottle regulator up to pressure the system. Turned off the bottle valve and let it sit for 2 days. It held the pressure then I pulled a vacuum on it and it held. So I am ready to charge the system when I get to it.

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks POPs I will do the same, I have a bottle of nitrogen to use.

Spring time is hectic around here with the cows calving and farming that has to be done. Doesn't leave much time in the day to build a Willys.
I've been working on some small things that need to be done and don't take days at a time to complete.

Had an issue with the plastic glove box. It wouldn't go in from the front and no room to go in from the bottom after the a/c install. So I had to cut it in two the long way, put some tabs on it so I could screw it back together after installing it.

Built a battery box to prevent the battery disappearing hopefully. Still need to put a flush mount locking latch on it and replace the hinge screws with rivets.

And of course you need some cup holders, another small storage spot, a pistol mount and cell phone mount.

After starting the engine and running it in I had an ATF fluid leak develop from inside the bell housing so it looks like I'll be pulling the transmission to see what I screwed up! Probably cut the new transmission pump seal when I slid the torque convertor in it. Surely I didn't put in ass backwards![S[:eek:[
I'm just glad I put two removable transmission and transfer case mounts under it for such foolish occasions.

Attachments

• IMG_5518R.jpg
    IMG_5518R.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5530R.jpg
    IMG_5530R.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5529R.jpg
    IMG_5529R.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5527R.jpg
    IMG_5527R.jpg