Reality TV

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

Reality TV has almost taken over, for the most part it is all carp, but there are few really good car shows. Fantom Works, Iron Resurection. Discovery has tried making a few Canadian ones to appease the Canadian content criteria.

Last Stop garage was a flop I think they were trying to be The Trailer Park Boys of cars.

The first season of Rust Valley Restorers located in the North Okanagan B.C. features some real nice cars but the characters are idiots for the most part.

The latest show that premiered this last Wednesday is Bad Chads Customs
His business name is Green Goblin Customs from Canning Nova Scotia. This guy has some real creative skills and some unorthodox ways of getting the job done, but get it done he does. The first show even had a segment that included Gene Winfield. Looking forward to see how the season shapes up and what cool builds he has.

yeah I used to watch like Gas Monkey Garage and stuff, but they're all just too fake for me.. If you watch any episodes of that show you can see cars that they built when they were there old shop still sitting in there new shop. I understand sometimes you have customers bring cars back to work on them or whatever but when everyone of them you ever built to still in your shop. I call b.s.

I watched bad Chad customs 1st episode and didnt really get in to it. He has crazy ideas for sure, but some of the execution wasnt there I think.

I like full custom garage with ian Roussel. He also has crazy ideas and they look killer when he is done.

Also kindig-it and phantom works are on my watch list when I have time

the only car related tv show I ever watch is chasing classic cars. I cant stand the scream & shout BS shows.... I guess I`m allergic to all crap surrounding the cool cars.
Luckily I usually cant find the time to watch anything.

I'm with smallfoot.:D
Don't have a TV so I can't watch them. I have seen bits of Bad Chad on the internet. Yes he's creative but really annoying to me. Like a ferret on crystal meth.(I'm sure....In fact I know that their are people that find me annoying as well).
My biggest gripe with these shows is that they end up being more like soap operas and they never show you what it really takes to build something.
When I drove vintage stuff as my everyday somebody would always come up to me to invite me to participate in a car show.
My response was polite but the same to all."Everyday is a car show in my Garage." Some got it. Some didn't.....
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

yeah I used to watch like Gas Monkey Garage and stuff, but they're all just too fake for me.

Richard Rawlings is a lil more than I can take! I've seen some of the Monkey's cars & they are total crap! I went to the Dallas Mecum auction & there were 4 or 5 cars there that the TV show claimed were sold... show was totally fake but Richard's been rakin' in the dough!

I watched bad Chad customs 1st episode and didnt really get in to it. He has crazy ideas for sure, but some of the execution wasnt there I think.

Firing Order mag did an article on him back then... he's a lil much for me but hopefully he'll rake in some $$$.

I like Full Custom Garage with Ian Roussel. He also has crazy ideas and they look killer when he is done.

He's my fav! He shows more of what he does & how he does it!

BoB

I just happened to be home the night Bad Chad first came on and I watched it. I wasn't impressed. He has some ideas, but execution looked to be lacking. The goofy looking finned car he rides around in, might have been a hit in 66, but in 2019 the idea looks dated. The car they built into a Zephyr-like custom looked pretty good, but I really wondered about the quality of it....bending pipe by throwing it on the floor?:confused: You'd think a shop that was building cars to sell would have some tools to work with, even if it was just Harbor Freight stuff. I haven't seen another episode, but did see a commercial advertising an episode with a twin engine bubble topped car----again, something you might have seen in 1966, but today just looks weird.

I used to like Stacy David's show when it was on TNN on Saturday mornings, I can't even remember what it was called now, too many years ago. It and the original Hot Rod TV were both good shows 10-15 years ago. TNN changed names two or three times then I think went belly up, and there hasn't been anything to compare. I don't see much TV anymore so I may have missed something, but it doesn't sound like it.

I agree with most of the comments you guys have already said - but I will admit I watch most of the shows, and probably too often! I just try to ignore the drama and BS. I really like Joe Martin, and a buddy of mine met Dave Kindig at Sema a couple of years ago, and said he was a really nice and down to earth guy.

Yeah, I watch'em too.... Iron Resurrection, Bitchin Rides, Texas Metal
are the ones I enjoy, a little less drama...but...I do think that Discovery
is was picking up the bill on Gas Monkey builds (maybe on other shows
to ) and probably still own them . Richard's only talent is BS marketing
and drinking beer...(and laughing all the way to the bank) Used to watch
Boyd Coddington's show but it had a lot of tv drama bs too...all in all I'm
glad that there are a few car shows to watch ....or not, better than none at all.
Bad Chad.....??? I'll just keep my opinions to myself on that one ;)

My biggest gripe with these shows is that they end up being more like soap operas and they never show you what it really takes to build something.

I can't agree with you more. When Boyd Coddington's "American Hot Rod" hit the airwaves, I hoped and expected to learn something from an icon... no dice. :mad:

My opinion: It doesn't matter if you're somebody or nobody. If you can land a TV series, your turds turn to gold. Orange County Choppers was nothing and Jesse James was nothing until the network came calling... both are wealthy beyond their wildest dreams...

Dozer: Rust Valley Restorers is a fallacy like most reality series. If you believe for a moment this guy is going broke, you're drinking the Kool-Aid. Everybody is on the network payroll and nobody is losing money!

Was difficult Dozer watching Chad cut the Airflow in half. Like the finished product with the flathead. I watch 50's shows. Just watched Highway Patrol.
Cool 55 Buick sedan police car. :cool:

Good Discussion, I can't bring myself to watch ASS Monkey garage, Misfit Garage or Vegas rat rods anymore. Steve Darnell thinks he's an artist now build nothing that resembles a Rat rod.

Joe Martins show is one of the only ones that shows some of the metal working that it takes to build a car. I can't watch Bitching rides cuz his goofy Shop forman/ manger is an idiot.

There has only been one episode of Bad Chad's on, so I reserve the right to form an opinion. The fist car he did went from some really rough metal work to a finished painted car over a commercial. I'm sure there must have been 3-4 gallons of bondo needed to smooth it out.

Just saying I'm glad these shows are on there to give us something car related to watch other than Big Brother, or the Real House Wife's of Toronto aka the Real Hog Town Sows.:D

I watch some of them. The drama I can do without. I hope to pic up a little something that I can use here and there. What most people don't realize is the cost of the finished job and the time it takes to get it done. Around my garage we often say "we don't care how they do it on TV".

Full Custom Garage is awesome. I like Ian's low key attitude. Bitchin' Rides is my other go too. I used to really like Vegas Rat Rods but the new crew is horrible. They also do that thing like Ice Road truckers where right before the commercial they make it look like something bad is going to happen then all is good. Like one time they made it seem they dropped the engine on a guys hand but no. Rawlings and his boy Dennis are way too hard to take. Chad I agree in what has been said. Not a typical show but I like Diesel Brothers. Kinda crazy but makes me laugh. I like Jay Leno's garage although not a reality show. Gearz needs to get some new projects. Tired of his snowcat. I just wish these shows were more real. When Duck Dynasty first started I really liked it until I found out they used stunt doubles and employees for parts in the show. I thought they were just crazy southerners. So many more shows but most start out good but then just become the same ole thing. Jim

All interesting responses.
Like I said. We haven't had TV for over 25 years now so I've managed to miss the "Reality" TV craze.:D
I remember someone telling me about one of the shows like Survivor and how they were concerned for the cast and I replied" Do you have any concern for the camera and tech crew following them around".....:p [cl [ddd
No of the guys are hurting for money. Bad Chad claims to build everything from junk I think. That Air flow and Hupmobile he started with looked like junk to me.........:D
It's all about entertainment folks.
Kind of like some of DR Crankensteins posts.[ddd
Torchie

All interesting responses.
Like I said. We haven't had TV for over 25 years now so I've managed to miss the "Reality" TV craze.:D
I remember someone telling me about one of the shows like Survivor and how they were concerned for the cast and I replied" Do you have any concern for the camera and tech crew following them around".....:p [cl [ddd
No of the guys are hurting for money. Bad Chad claims to build everything from junk I think. That Air flow and Hupmobile he started with looked like junk to me.........:D
It's all about entertainment folks.
Kind of like some of DR Crankensteins posts.[ddd
Torchie

Your very right entertainment is all it is.

Last edited:
I do watch "Counting Cars" when I get a chance. They do the same building stuff everybody else does, but they don't show them building stuff to an impossible deadline. Danny is a shrewd buyer who pretty well knows his stuff, and sometimes keeps them instead of flipping them. They usually show him buying something, it going into the shop, deciding what to do to it, then at the end of the show the finished product rolls out with no mention of how long it took, but they usually say how many dollars went into it.

EDIT: Have been watching a new {to me anyway} show tonight, ROYL Garage. Courtney Hanson has started her own garage. Yes! THAT Courtney Hanson! Worth watching just to see her!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back