72 ghia rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldboy

Hello from upstate newyork.
Been awhile since I posted. My old Plymouth rat still bringing smiles.
I have a ‘72 karmann ghia which I purchased 2 years ago, expecting to get running, thenwas going to be flipped. I should know better.
It now is in the “keep” department because it needed way more than expected and I have grown fond of working on it.
So question, do I clearcoat it and keep it with all of its patina and dings, scratches? Or , do I strip and give it actual paint? Has only had one paint job when it was 20y/o. Thoughts ideas?
If it turns out to be fun, I may do a Subaru turbo swap in the driveline.

Attachments

• A18691BB-ECD8-40BE-9814-9172219ECEB5.jpg
    A18691BB-ECD8-40BE-9814-9172219ECEB5.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 36
Hello from upstate newyork.
Been awhile since I posted. My old Plymouth rat still bringing smiles.
I have a ‘72 karmann ghia which I purchased 2 years ago, expecting to get running, thenwas going to be flipped. I should know better.
It now is in the “keep” department because it needed way more than expected and I have grown fond of working on it.
So question, do I clearcoat it and keep it with all of its patina and dings, scratches? Or , do I strip and give it actual paint? Has only had one paint job when it was 20y/o. Thoughts ideas?
If it turns out to be fun, I may do a Subaru turbo swap in the driveline.

Leave the patina and use Patina Sauce.

Rat ghia

Hey thanks,
Appreciate the imput. Guess I need to read up on how to prep for clear coating. Got couple places that need repair, over the headlamp buckets, and left 1/4.
Clear it is!
-Russ

Hey thanks,
Appreciate the imput. Guess I need to read up on how to prep for clear coating. Got couple places that need repair, over the headlamp buckets, and left 1/4.
Clear it is!
-Russ

Clear over patina leaves a lot of opportunity for adhesion issues as you're not getting the chemical bond that most clears require. You either need to use the right clear, or look into a product like BillM and I mentioned.

I use permalac. It's an out door art clear coat designed for bare metal but will stick to paint, wood and stone. It doesn't build up like a normal clear coat. It soaks into the metal it's crazy. I recommend practicing on something before spraying it the first time. Just to get the hand of it.

Snow pro is talking about patina sauce. I have never used it but seem it uses and it leaves a nice finish also!

Latest posts

Back