Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 04-13-2022, 01:55 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I have no sense of stance or proportions at all...so I went by what the guy told me he had on his 35 Plymouth and come to find out...it looked hideous when I set the body back that far...so I moved it back to the factory location option only now with a 6" channel...

I built a 53 Chevy truck rat rod years ago with channel and "Zed" frame and it looked terrible...IMHO...

So I figured stock cant be that bad...those designers back in the 1930's were way more schooled in proportions than me...

thanks for asking...I am gonna have to hack the back end off now...something like this one here...

Old 04-14-2022, 12:25 PM
Builder Junky!

Please look at a lot of different pictures of those cars before you hack the back end off. I like the factory look much better.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:14 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Here's a website I found with some photos of Canadian stock cars of the day, maybe it helps. https://www.canadianracer.com/classes.asp

I would say if you're looking to get a look similar to that car you posted, start with figuring out your wheels and tires. Then you can figure out body and engine placement to get the look you're after.
1986 Caprice
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup (project)
---------------------------------------------------------------
And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.
Old 04-14-2022, 03:16 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I agree with Mac and sno pro.
Stare at it. look at pictures. Drink a beverage. Just don't go to cutting.
This is coming from a guy that chops everything.
Torchie
Old 04-17-2022, 09:39 AM

Mike, I like what you got there. I have a 38 Plymouth. I would have left it stock but the lower part of the trunk area was rotted about 10" up. So I changed the look I was going for and decided on the look of a different era of dirt car. My engine is setback 10" and the body is set back 5" with the wheel wells moved forward 5" to get the look I was looking for.
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
Old 04-17-2022, 10:28 AM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Proportions are are everything. See in the pic of Sharkey's car how the gap between the tire and the body matches the curve of the fender opening? Tire size is important to fill the wheelwell right, I personally can't reconcile with an awkward looking body setback. In the good 'ol days, bodies were cheap and often got jammed onto whatever frame was cheap and handy, so some of the goofy setbacks and wild hacking was just came with the territory. Just hitting the track and maybe even winning someday was more important than good looks .....
Old 04-19-2022, 01:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
Proportions are are everything. See in the pic of Sharkey's car how the gap between the tire and the body matches the curve of the fender opening? Tire size is important to fill the wheelwell right, I personally can't reconcile with an awkward looking body setback. In the good 'ol days, bodies were cheap and often got jammed onto whatever frame was cheap and handy, so some of the goofy setbacks and wild hacking was just came with the territory. Just hitting the track and maybe even winning someday was more important than good looks .....
You are so right...I don't sit and look stuff long enough and I have absolutely no eye for what looks right...I would rather ask someone who has built something like what I am looking for and then just replicate those dimensions...so far I am still trying to remount the body back in the chassis...

I have set the body back in the stock position excepting it is 6" lower on the chassis...

I keep forgetting who long it takes to cut cut cut....grind grind grind...tac tac tac...repeat...

still tying to spend at least 1 1/2 hours 5 nights a week on it...I am leaving my govt job in Jan of 2023 and I would love to have this ole heap buttoned up by than...

We will see...

Still waiting for the fine folks at Posie's for the rear springs and JEGS for the roll cage...

one bite at a time...

MikeC
Old 05-16-2022, 01:29 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I went away to PA to visit family and this gem showed up...from the fine folks at JEGS...they said it was for a 1937 Ford...I thought...that has gotta be close enough...someone lost the halo for it in transit...but a call to the Jegs and a week later I got confirmation they were shipping me another halo...

So this clown is building a roll cage...alone...usually I order them from the local roll cage shop but this price was too good to be true...

I am trying to set the motor back as far as I can with out cutting into the current firewall...been scratching my chin for days on this one...I was hoping it would be easier than this...

First mock up and the oil pan hits the Nova front cross member...who would have thought??

cut cut cut.....tack tack tack...cut cut cut...tack tack tack...repeat...
Old 05-25-2022, 08:11 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Still fumbling around with motor mounts....not sure where this motor needs to sit...

Right now we are about 6" farther back than where the motor sat in the stock Nova/Camaro front clip...

I think it needs to go back farther yet...

I learned one thing....I don't enjoy cobbling up motor mounts...

they have taken way longer than I thought they should....I love to bolt stuff together but getting this 6 cylinder to sit where it is supposed to sit is a real chin scratcher for sure...
Old 06-07-2022, 11:48 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Been cobbing away...trying to spend time with the old heap 5 times a week...

Yea ole 6 banger is sitting in the frame rails...

3 speed is sitting in there with it...

had to build a crossmember to hold all this stuff...

Kept thinking about how to make the front frame horns look like they belong there...

Before

During

After....

A cobby hobby we have going on here...