1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CORPO could you give us a clear pic of the wheels you want to use, maybe someone closer can help you out.

Yep!

This is what i am trying to match
IMG_0594.jpg

axle ratio

Corpo,, frame is lookin goood! nice work!,, cant help with the rims,sorry
just a question,
did you figure out how to get the axle ratio you need to drive at highway speed?, was talk about an OD and such,,,? your plan?

Corpo,, frame is lookin goood! nice work!,, cant help with the rims,sorry
just a question,
did you figure out how to get the axle ratio you need to drive at highway speed?, was talk about an OD and such,,,? your plan?

I have a plan.. but not sure how its going to work yet, but basically the plan is to take the outside of the original axle and mate it with a modern dana 60 rear end... this will also make it and open drive shaft and not have to deal with the torque tube.

I have to disassemble both axles to figure out all the details.. but if i need to what i will do will be to cut the axle tubes from each and weld the outsides of the old axle to the differential and center sections of the tubes of the new axle. cause it needs to be narrowed anyway... i don't want it to be a pain in the a** to drive and park..

Thats the plan.. dont know how it will all work out but we will see... i know that there are some school buses and some other big trucks that still run the same lug pattern... but they will be crazy wide.. and i already have these 2 axles dont really have the funds to buy another..

If it were me, I'd wait until a little farther along to ditch the bigger wheels and fatter tires. I think it is going to look meaner than hell with an agressive stance.

...think of it as really bigs and bigs instead of bigs and litles.

I have 22.5 alcoas for the front of my firetruck and 24.5 alcoas on the rear. I think it looks cool.

If it were me, I'd wait until a little farther along to ditch the bigger wheels and fatter tires. I think it is going to look meaner than hell with an agressive stance.

...think of it as really bigs and bigs instead of bigs and litles.

I have 22.5 alcoas for the front of my firetruck and 24.5 alcoas on the rear. I think it looks cool.

I haven't completely ruled it out.. they are just so d*mn heavy... rim 65 pounds plus like 90 pounds for the tire rim liner and tube.. so like 620 pounds of rolling mass in the rear.. i could easily cut that in half with the other rims..

On a side note Flipper...

I was in a barn the other day... saw something you need for your fire truck collection.. 1930 Chevy hook and ladder.. still had all the lights and hoses ... it was the full width of the barn... old guy said not for sale though.... not that i know what someone would do with it... i snapped a few pics.. ill post them up if anyone is interested.. it was dark though.. not sure how they turned out

Yep, all of that unsprung weight is going to be a b!t*h to control. Maybe just set the suspension up real soft with lots of travel and let the rest of the truck float along above it.

I'm done with gathering up firetrucks! I like the ones I have, but no more.

Put the cab back on to figure out rear axle placement.. looking like a wheel base of 124... going to start welding all the rear components together.. but wont weld it to the axle till thats all dialed in...

IMG_0840.jpg

I really think the sectioning of the frame added a lot to the look, it looks alot lower... which makes me happy
IMG_0841.jpg

Two More... oh and the wheels in the back are the smaller ones.. still looking for more of these.. i figured if i end up running the bigger rims it would just increase ground clearance.. so i set up the suspension for the 34" tires i hope to run...

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Haha.. no i didnt... i should have.. its funny... my dad said he thinks he likes the bigger rims too.. hes been anti those rims from the start...

Im still not convinced that the really big tires wont look miss per-portioned once the top is chopped... an the truck is possibly sectioned.. still undecided on that

I could try to lighten those rims up... with some holes... i haven't even looked to see if i can get those tires.. actually probably could get a modern truck tire that would fit..

Haha.. no i didnt... i should have.. its funny... my dad said he thinks he likes the bigger rims too.. hes been anti those rims from the start...

Im still not convinced that the really big tires wont look miss per-portioned once the top is chopped... an the truck is possibly sectioned.. still undecided on that

I could try to lighten those rims up... with some holes... i haven't even looked to see if i can get those tires.. actually probably could get a modern truck tire that would fit..

It is a good looking truck un-sectioned and un-chopped. The big wheels and big frame are helping to balance the stock cab height.

If you are going to chop it, I'd go subtle like 2 inches.

I am planning on a 2 inch chop, dont want the windshield to be too small... the reason i want to section it is the dash/window is really high when u sit in the truck.. but we will see.. thats quite far down the road..

started on welding up some of the rear suspension last night.. and drilling the holes through the frame for the threw bushings same as i did my front...

my rear links are a little ridiculous.. i decided to beef them up a bit since the rear tires and wheels are going to be heavy no matter what... so my links are 1.5 diameter .120 wall sleeved with a 1.25 diameter .1" wall tube inside.. i had the tube so i figured why not..

the rod ends are 5/8" pretty sure i could do some serious off roadin with these components...

Last edited:
I have a bench seat for sale that would work great in your truck if you are interested.
Its newly upolstered. I should have showed you it when you picked up the wheel.

Sorry man... I already made a pair of seats... my take on bomber seats....
IMG_0547.jpg

Few pics for those who are interested..

Front cross member.. the bags will be concealed under it
IMG_0846.jpg

rear Suspension taking shape
IMG_0853.jpg

Suspension "test" Will it lay out?????
IMG_0849.jpg

YEP sure will!

IMG_0855.jpg

Latest posts

Back