Welding Questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Alright, instead of mucking up donsrods thread I figured I'd start my own, I've gotta start investing into a welder - something sorta cheaper to get me started. Do I need welding gas? What should I expect for that price? Do I need the clamps or can I hold up what I need, tack it and then completely weld it? Any suggestions in general? how do I know what wire to use?

Without any indication of what you plan to do, the advice is limited. Sheet metal, frames, any prior experience, MIG, TIG???

Here is my story. Not too long ago I took a short welding safety class at our local maker space and decided that I needed to buy a machine myself. The maker space is ~30 minutes away and it would be hard to get over there and 'use' membership at the fullest. Additionally, most of my free time is late at night or in little chunks.

Over the course of several months, I purchased an Eastwood MIG 135, a bottle of gas, a bunch of metal, a cart, grinders, clamps, safety stuff, etc. I have at least $700 in welding tools and supplies at this point.

I have built a few things and think it is fun to melt metal... but

- it makes a mess and does not get along well with woodworking (is your garage ready for a shower of sparks?)
- metal is expensive
- building serious structural stuff is a long way off for me.
- the more I learn about welding, the more I realize I still suck.

I have no regrets but you should know what you are getting yourself into even if you buy a cheap machine to start with.

A couple direct answers to your questions.
- MIG with Gas vs Flux core, both will melt the metal but flux core makes a mess, stinks, and harder to see what is going on. Use gas if at all possible.
- You will need clamps. Metal is extremely hot. Even if you start welding on the garage floor, you will want a few C clamps to hold things together.

Welding

Craigslist is not a bad place to look. Cheep is cheep so do everything In your power to get atleast a 170 amp mig with the biggest bottle you can afford. The auto darkening mask at china freight will work to start but sucks if you ever use a good one.

A working old machine is better than a cheep Chinese 120amp pos. seen them for under $200 on Craigslist but under 500 all the time.

Read the directions on the machine it will give you wire size and setting suggestions for the material your working with.

Kurt

I shop Ebay for new Miller welders. We have bought 3 on Ebay from different vendors. They have the lowest price and you get free shipping and no sales tax to pay. I would suggest getting a Miller 180 with autoset. Very easy to set and run. Use .023" wire and you can do anything you need on your hot rod build. Yes you need to run a gas c-25 is what we use. You can buy a smaller bottle from local welding suppliers, Tractor Supply has them here also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLER-MILL...30480040702?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item1e61376afe

Ebay also has a thing called Bill Me Later that you might look into. You can make payments on your Ebay purchase.

The cart, don't buy a cart. Make that your first project.

I shop Ebay for new Miller welders. We have bought 3 on Ebay from different vendors. They have the lowest price and you get free shipping and no sales tax to pay. I would suggest getting a Miller 180 with autoset. Very easy to set and run. Use .023" wire and you can do anything you need on your hot rod build. Yes you need to run a gas c-25 is what we use. You can buy a smaller bottle from local welding suppliers, Tractor Supply has them here also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLER-MILL...30480040702?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item1e61376afe

Ebay also has a thing called Bill Me Later that you might look into. You can make payments on your Ebay purchase.

The cart, don't buy a cart. Make that your first project.

I also have the Miller 180 autoset, and I love it, best investment I haev made tool wise in a long long time. I personally like local vendors because if you do have an issue, you can just take the welder in and you build that local business where you get your gas bottle filled, etc.

I personally use the .030 wire now more than the .023, but that is a pretty simple changeover. I believe that C-25 is the code for 75% Argon, 25% CO2.

Have you ever welded before at all?
If not, find somebody to let you play with their machine for a little bit, and talk to them about what they have and what you will need. When you do get a machine, practice, and practice some more. Nothing beats running a welder to find out what new questions you will have.

Have you ever welded before at all?
If not, find somebody to let you play with their machine for a little bit, and talk to them about what they have and what you will need. When you do get a machine, practice, and practice some more. Nothing beats running a welder to find out what new questions you will have.

I went to a technical high school, I didn't take welding however I did do it for a very short period of time.

Latest posts

Back