Welding Cast Aluminum Intake

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old28

I am having a problem with some cracking of the mounting tabs on my 194/230/250/292 cast aluminum intake manifold on my 6 cylinder motor.

Can these cracks be ground out and be repaired with an aluminum weld?

Is this done with a Tig or Mig weld?

I will be having this done as I only have a small mig unit for small parts and don't have a clue on aluminum repairs.

I have fixed a few. I like TIG, mainly because, I can pour on the heat, and then let up to make the weld. I like to bolt them down to a block if possible, so they stay straight.

Kenny c & Bonehead -- Thanks for the reply, at least I know the intake can be repaired. I'll see how bad it is when I take it off in a few days.

The tabs on these intakes are a real weak point.;)

I've tig welded plenty of cast aluminum, some castings are crap and have tons of inclusions and some are great and clean... but yes, most likely fixable!

I've also done plenty of cast aluminum and I agree with the guys.

If I may add to this, I have found some pieces difficult (if not impossible) to repair due to contamination. Being porous, it can and will absorb substances like oil. :mad:

Just a word of warning. If you have multiple cracks on a "dirty" piece and you're paying someone to do the work, the cost can exceed the value of the part. A good welder should know these things and give you a fair assessment. :D

Dirtyrat -- Thanks for the help, it is a Clifford 2x4 Intake.

Dr Crankenstein -- It would cost about $375 to replace the intake with a new one, have not seen a lot of 2x4 used for sale for the Gen-3 6 cylinder (194/230/250/292). I will definitely keep that in mind when getting prices.

Latest posts

Back