Urethane Sheet Material

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip-r-s

I am wanting to find some to use in a shop press for metal forming but everything i have found seems way over priced...

thinking about trying the rubber patio pavers from home improvement store any thaughts

What is it that you are using it for in the press? Maybe other material will work? If urethane sheets will work maybe lexan will and you can get that in Lowes. The stall floor mats are available in Tractor supply(mentioned before). And if that would work, you can find conveyor belt material too. I have some about 2' wide and 1/2" thick.

I'm looking at something quite similar to what your link shows. For the "lower rubber die" I got a front tire from a tractor (the tri rib style) and cut the outer ribs off leaving the center strip and enough of the edge section on both sides of the center rib to be able to clamp it down. The bigger tires will give you about a 7 to 8 ft strip. Haven't built the rest of it yet so I don't know how well it will work out. But at any rate, that's what I'm going to try.:)

i just opened it again without prob.

I tried to cut and paste it all but that didn't work, will try when I get to a computer.

Link works for me

This is what I see:
Sheet-metal forming

McGraw-Hill Science & Technology Encyclopedia: Sheet-metal forming

Home > Library > Science > Sci-Tech Encyclopedia
The shaping of thin sheets of metal (usually less than ¼ in. or 6 mm) by applying pressure through male or female dies or both. Parts formed of sheet metal have such diverse geometries that it is difficult to classify them. Sheet forming is accomplished basically by processes such as stretching, bending, deep drawing, embossing, bulging, flanging, roll forming, and spinning. In most of these operations there are no intentional major changes in the thickness of the sheet metal. See also Metal forming.
Stretch forming is a process in which the sheet metal is clamped between jaws and stretched over a form block. The process is used primarily in the aerospace industry to form large panels with varying curvatures.
Bending is one of the most common processes in sheet forming. The part may be bent not only along a straight line, but also along a curved path (stretching, flanging). In addition to male and female dies used in most bending operations, the female die can be replaced by a rubber pad (Fig. 1). The roll-forming process replaces the vertical motion of the dies by the rotary motion of rolls with various profiles. Each successive roll bends the strip a little further than the preceding roll.
CE619200FG0010.gif

Bending process with a rubber pad. (a) Before forming. (b) After forming.
While many sheet-forming processes are carried out in a press with male and female dies usually made of metal, there are some processes which utilize rubber to replace one of the dies. The simplest of these processes is the Guerin process (Fig. 2).
CE619200FG0020.gif

Guerin process, the simplest rubber forming process. (a) Before forming. (b) After forming.
A great variety of parts are formed by the deep-drawing process (Fig. 3), the successful operation of which requires a careful control of factors such as blank-holder pressure, lubrication, clearance, material properties, and die geometry.
CE619200FG0030.gif

Deep-drawing process.
Many parts require one or more additional processes. Embossing consists of forming a pattern on the sheet by shallow drawing. Coining consists of putting impressions on the surface by a process that is essentially forging, the best example being the two faces of a coin. Shearing is separation of the material by the cutting action of a pair of sharp tools, similar to a pair of scissors. See also Coining.
The spinning process forms parts with rotational symmetry over a mandrel with the use of a tool or roller. There are two basic types of spinning: conventional or manual spinning, and shear spinning. The conventional spinning process forms the material over a rotating mandrel with little or no change in the thickness of the original blank. In shear spinning (hydrospin-ning, floturning) the deformation is carried out with a roller in such a manner that the diameter of the original blank does not change but the thickness of the part decreases by an amount dependent on the mandrel angle. Shear spinning produces parts with various shapes (conical, curvilinear, and also tubular by tube spinning on a cylindrical mandrel) with good surface finish, close tolerances, and improved mechanical properties.

so far......

Step One of Three

First I wanted to make the upper mounting bracket / sheet metal brake.
Here is a pic. of it all cut out and ready to weld.

Going to weld it this weekend and start the bottom mount that will hold the section of rubber from the front tractor tire.

p.s. I cut the tire with a carbide tip blade in the circular saw. (cut pretty easy, did it next to the entry door smoked a bit)

Attachments

• press 2.jpg
    press 2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21
  • press 1.jpg
    press 1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I guess I'm not understanding this....

I understand the process but what parts are you trying to form? Or is there even anything specifically you are making? [S

Ithe first part is a sheet metal brake and then i want to be able to mount different types of forms to the brake

The first form im wanting to make is just a tounge depresser shape for a set of replacement step panels for 57 chevypickup

Last edited:
Yep, that's exactly the same as I have done. I'm going to go with a full 8 ft press and do some aluminum model planes in the large scale format. If that all pans out, the next attempt will be the pick up box sides, front and tailgate in steel sheet for the 45 Chevy. Keep us posted, I'm interested in how it works out, I'm just doing this as an experiment and hope it works!!;)

I’m not real proud of the welds, but everything has been tri- welded with 7018 rods, leaving good penetration; just not pretty. Did a couple test bends, very happy so far.
Next I will start making the bottom plate, I think I have everything I need, and a general idea of what I’m doing.

Attachments

• press 4.jpg
    press 4.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 20
  • press 5.jpg
    press 5.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 20
  • press 3.jpg
    press 3.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 19
Uses for tractor tire

Uses for tractor tire

Lower piece is made, tried it out, works good

Also did a press with the tongue depressor shape just by stacking everything, so next is making and weld a mount onto the 1inch bar stock

Attachments

• press 6.jpg
    press 6.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 10
  • press 7.jpg
    press 7.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 11
  • press 8.jpg
    press 8.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 11
  • press 9.jpg
    press 9.jpg