1950 dodge truck tribute to my son

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
hit the wall on the 33.

so, today l dragged out the pilothouse dodge truck l have had for 17 years. from the pics you can see how long she sat in limbo. so in my life, it is time to get it running/driving, so l decided to do a quick 2 month build on it.

it is a project my son and l started to do right after he was born, granted the first few years all he did was watch or hand me stuff, usually witherl wanted it or not. over the years of my job and his social life, we found time here and there and got it close to being a runner/driver.

then 8 years ago, 2 weeks before his 16th birthbay he drowned. following this loss and his compianship in my life, l lost interest in the truck. it was just not the same working on it without him:(

so l put her in storage and have not touched it since my son and l worked on it together over 8 years ago. we worked on it about 2 months together before l lost him.

the truck has a 77 nova sub-frame, a E-body 8 3/4 with 3:50 gears. she will be powered by a 327 sbc, 7OOR4 trans.

in my grief, l lost/misplaced the tittle, if anyone knows where l can get one, it would be GREATLY appreacted, l really want to finish the truck as a trubute to Jimmy(my son).

also need a few small parts, like the bars that hold down the hood, a raditor, some odds and ends.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 002.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 002.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 354
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 004.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 004.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 368
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 005.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 005.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 380
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 008.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 008.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 436
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 001.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 001.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 470
Hello from the HOT dry side !!

I am very sorry for your loss, I will not even say I understand because I couldn't !!

I to would like to see you finish the truck in his memory !!

I have never had any Dodge stuff around, so I am of no help there, but I do know someone with some titles so let me stop by his place and see if he has anything close.

Good luck and try to remember those "good times" you had with the kid while you two were thrashing on the truck :D

Mr.B

finding paperwork

I have never had any Dodge stuff around, so I am of no help there, but I do know someone with some titles so let me stop by his place and see if he has anything close.

ya, 1948 to 1953 will work, thanks in advance:D

will post some pics of the truck in the garage today and how far we got on tearing down.
after sitting so long l'm checking and inspecting the thing to make sure she'll safe to drive.

girl friend says l must have 'VEHICLE ADHD' since l bounce back and forth from the 1966 chevelle, to the 1933 dodge and now the truck. . l'm hoping to get to the 1960 cushman that were putting in the honda shadow 750cc motor and 18.5 M/T street tires done soon and someday, the 1957 chevy 150 l've had since 1968.

so many toy's, so little time

Later

Last edited:
start

It looks like a solid start. Best of luck! :)[/QUOTE]

it's from eastern washington, the guy l got her from lived in the desert and brought the truck over to the wet side when he moved in the late 1980's.
cab has surface rust only and the floor pan and cab corner are SOLID. most of these 40's-50's trucks have the corners totally rotted out and swiss cheese floors. l got real lucky with mine and being stored inside for 8 years really helped preserve it. plans for the body no chop, stick in a heater and wipers,
a stereo, then we are wash it and leave the patina alone. l'm so grateful my friends are gonna help on this build.

Sorry for your loss Skull.

Let that ryde be a part of you and your son. Looks like a kool project. I bet hes proud that your finishing it. good luck, RR

I would like to wish you luck with this build and hope you find everything you need for it.

OK...So I REALLY wanted to be of some help on this for you because of the circumstances, it took me a couple try's to run him down as the Ford swap meet is at the Fairgrounds this weekend.

Bad news to report :( He sold the last of his titles this year in Portland.

I am very sorry and will keep watching since if we could find a Wa. one it would be that much easier !!

Mr.B

You brought back fond memories, my bondo buddy is nearly 19 now.Im sorry for your loss and wish you the best on finishing your project.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 146
thanks

l THANK EVERYONE who's helping me, from trying to find parts to the
support ya all are givin' me.

update, got the wiring harness outta storage and started to get all the parts put , that way in places l know where they are when need 'em l don't have to search all over.

motor and tranny are in, have to fab up and put in a new part of the firewall and trans tunnel because the distributor sits 9'' into the cab.
the rear swaybar is mocked up and the new rear shocks look purty[cl
also the welds are what's gonna stay since the front a chevy and the rear is a dodge for the bolt pattern.

Attachments

• dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 019.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 019.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 176
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 016.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 016.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 175
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 014.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 014.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 199
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 013.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 013.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 200
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 011.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 011.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 204
progress today

more pics

Attachments

• dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 027.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 027.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 100
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 022.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 022.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 94
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 021.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 021.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 96
Good memories

Hey Skull, sorry for your loss but glad to hear your going to finish the project. About 2 1/2 years ago I went on disability from work. I have since been diagnosed with ALS. I had been working on my wife's 66 Mustang for my 15 year old daughter. She has been helping me on cars since she was about 10. We finished the car last summer. Some days it was really hard, but with my daughter's help and lots of friends, we did it. Now she has awesome car that will be in the family long after I'm gone. You can't beat great memories. Good luck with your truck. I'm sending a few photos of her car....Mick

Attachments

• DSCN1576.jpg
    DSCN1576.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1569.jpg
    DSCN1569.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN1571.jpg
    DSCN1571.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 73
today, stuff

nice lookin 'stang. l know about the disabilty thing, having terrable artritis
and blown back discs..

the sway bar l'm using is out of a 1977 camaro. so, l got the rear sway bar hooked up. had to fab every thing to make it work, including putting in a another rear cross member to bolt stuff to. cut a hockey puck in half. drilled a hole in each one and used them for bushings. the cross member square tubing is off a stairmaster, thick tubing on that machine so it will be plenty srong for the truck.

Attachments

• dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 001.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 001.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 90
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 003.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 003.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 88
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 004.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 004.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 78
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 006.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 006.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 87
Holy crap dude! I can only imagine how you feel. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think it’s great that you’ve got the truck out and working on it again.

Hope the build goes well, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Are there any more parts you still need?

thanks

SugarRay8; Are there any more parts you still need?[/QUOTE said:
not sure yet, really need a title. talked to my licensing guy and he said any title from 48 to 53 and any state wil be ok. since it's so old she's out of the computer system.

motor

put in motor mounts from a 1972 chevelle today, that dropped the motor almost 2'' and moved it back a 1 1/2 inches, she's got a least a 10%
engine set back. with it set back that far l hope will make it handle ok.

when the engine was built we used a 1966 chevelle oil pan, since l had a dozen or so left over from my racing day's, and in the nova that put the clearence between the sub-frame crossmember and oil pan at 1'', its close but it works. there's lots of room for headers and all kinds of working room to get to the starter, oil filter and trans. exhaust wiil be easy, the pipes can go almost in a straight line out the back, dumping down just about 2'' past the rear bumper.

Latest posts

Back