Front axle options...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell

Hello all! I'm in the parts gathering process of my '27 Dodge Brothers (4door sedan) build and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the front axle... I could use some input.

The original front axle has NO brakes and the bolt pattern is 5 on 6-1/2"... So I need to figure something out. This will be driven a LOT and I want to get it right the first time.

Option 1- Change spindles/ hubs with something that came with brakes and a common bolt pattern... (are there any other spindles or hubs that would fit it?)

Option 2- Find a axle of similar dimensions from another car/ truck that has brakes/ common bolt pattern...

Option 3- dump some money and buy a blank tube axle like the ones Speedway motors sells... with spindles, hubs, etc...

I plan on running a quarter elliptical front suspension using half of the original front springs and, like I said, I will be driving it a LOT. I want to be able to jump in and drive a couple hundred miles to a show.

I'm thinking option 3 would be best from a safety standpoint... It would be nice to have ALL new steering/ brakes... But that's gonna cost quite a bit more that I was planning... I guess the axles/ brakes is where I should spend the money though.... Just thinking out loud and wondering what you guys though. Thanks, JB

I went for #3 on mine, and got disc brakes, and all new parts, and have not looked back. There is something to be said for building up an old one.

i agree just get a new one with disk brakes unless your going for a traditional build if you are you could even buy drums that cover your disk brakes hope this helps

poorman

My variation on option 3 . I went to local rod shop and found out who was replacing his front i beam with something else. i went to a guy and got a front end pretty cheap . Ask street rodders at shows -the ones with IFS- what they did with their original set ups .Bad engineering and worn out parts can KILL you . You are on the right track I think .

Hey I'm wanting to do some of the same with my 31 Plymouth. I also want to run Quarter elliptical springs up front. I want to run a 354 Hemi. I would like to use the front axle that came with the car to save money. I know buying one from speedway is the fastest way to go,but some times with a little frothought I might save that big money. and spend it on the motor trans stuff.
Keep me posted on what you do.
Thanks

I've used Chevy van, Ford F-1 and Ford F100 axles. They all have reasonably good drum brakes. And shoes, wheel cylinders, etc are available. I usually narrow the axle to a 46" king pin to kingpin width, making them close to an early Ford dimension. About 4" removed. Not necessary for most builds but I like to do it.
I have used early Ford buggy spring, parallel leaf spring, quarter elliptic and coilover arrangements. All of these have been done for not much money (except the coilover).
You need to decide what best fits the style and appearance you want, what is available for used goodies in your area and how much money you can spend.

We build tube axles, if you need one let me know. I can build a tube axle for you for $150.00 with the Ford ends on it, and sell you new spindles with the king pins and bushings fit for $195.00 for the pair. The axle would not have any bat wings or brackets on it.

Then you could do a disc brake kit and get a later bolt pattern and get wheels to fit.

We also stock brake kits.

Hello all! I'm in the parts gathering process of my '27 Dodge Brothers (4door sedan) build and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the front axle... I could use some input.

The original front axle has NO brakes and the bolt pattern is 5 on 6-1/2"... So I need to figure something out. This will be driven a LOT and I want to get it right the first time.

Option 1- Change spindles/ hubs with something that came with brakes and a common bolt pattern... (are there any other spindles or hubs that would fit it?)

Option 2- Find a axle of similar dimensions from another car/ truck that has brakes/ common bolt pattern...

Option 3- dump some money and buy a blank tube axle like the ones Speedway motors sells... with spindles, hubs, etc...

I plan on running a quarter elliptical front suspension using half of the original front springs and, like I said, I will be driving it a LOT. I want to be able to jump in and drive a couple hundred miles to a show.

I'm thinking option 3 would be best from a safety standpoint... It would be nice to have ALL new steering/ brakes... But that's gonna cost quite a bit more that I was planning... I guess the axles/ brakes is where I should spend the money though.... Just thinking out loud and wondering what you guys though. Thanks, JB

how are you setting up your quarter elliptical front suspension?

I have never been able to afford a speedway axle.However,if I could,I would get one in a flash.[dr
I have used econoline axles until my parts yard ran out.They showed me a G10 chevy van axle and I bought 2 of them.Just like econoline except they have the big finned drums like the buick ones a lot of people like.thanks

Latest posts

Back