Front suspension questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verruckt

Building a 36 Chevy LoCab, I have a 34 chevy frame. My vision is to build a gasser inspired fenderless thing of sorts. Seems clear in my head though.. lol

I was wanting to see if my idea for a front suspension is feasable/practical/safe, etc.

Looking to get a 4" drop ibeam and use it in the stock location. Had thought about using coilovers instead of leaf/shock setup, and also going with a small rack and pinion rather than a steering box.

I really haven't seen any setups like this, and am wondering if that is because it won't work, or won't work very well? Thoughts? If anyone has some pics of this setup I'd love to see them. Thanks.

I've used r & P steering on 4 axles. A VW Scirocco & 3 Chevy Geo's. Used coil overs on one. Worked fine for me. There could be pics on some of my build threads here on RRR.

I've used r & P steering on 4 axles. A VW Scirocco & 3 Chevy Geo's. Used coil overs on one. Worked fine for me. There could be pics on some of my build threads here on RRR.

Thank you, i'll take a look at your builds.

Thinking this through.. with a conventional leaf spring setup in front, the leaf springs locate the front ibeam for side to side movement, correct? If I use coilovers instead of leafs and shocks, then would I need to incorporate something similar to a panhard bar?

The hairpins from the frame to the ibeam, locate front to back movement, coilovers would control up and down. Nothing that I can think for side to side. Or am I not visualizing this correctly?? Don't yet have all the parts to mock up and see. Was hoping to get a plan in place, before ordering all my parts.

I'm thinking you'll need to mount the steering rack to the axle, with a sliding column, or your wheels will be going in all directions as your suspensions moves up and down.

I'm thinking you'll need to mount the steering rack to the axle, with a sliding column, or your wheels will be going in all directions as your suspensions moves up and down.

Yes, I've mounted them to the axles. I've seen them mounted to the frame and the owners claim it works. Unless there is almost no spring travel I think it is prone to failure however.

Attachments

• unisteer.jpg
    unisteer.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back