front end ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinman

Okay guys, just dragged home my 1937 Ford Slantback and anxious to get started on it. I am a newbie with a few of questions....

Question 1: I would like to put disc brakes up front, lower the car, and add a mustang rack.

Question 2: I want to lift the body off, but the floor is gone. Do I need to weld in some sort of bracing before I lift the body?

Question 3: What would be better in the rear? Coil springs or leaf spring?

Any articles on these topics or posts/pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to keep this a low buck back yard build.

Thank you in advance!
Vince

If you are talking low buck backyard build then you are getting way ahead of yourself with the want list. I will address your questions in the order asked.

1. Disc brakes are fine. There are plenty of available kits to easily put discs on your stock '37 spindles. As far as lowering, a dropped axle will work great, look great, and be your most budget-friendly option. Basically a bolt-in affair. Forget the Mustang rack - not necessary or feasible with a beam axle. A rebuilt stock steering box will work just fine, or you can upgrade to a Vega box fairly easily.

2. Yes absolutely brace the body! Make sure the door openings/gaps are correct And brace brace brace. It will save you many headaches later.

3. For the rear, the stock Ford suspension is FINE. You can go with a reverse eye spring if you want to drop it a bit. It's there, works well and is already engineered.

Remember - K.I.S.S. !!! The simpler and more affordable you keep things the better chance this car has of actually seeing the road and not just another abandoned project/pile of parts from a new guy that got in over his head and was quickly overwhelmed. A '37 slantback is a cool car - Do it justice!

Agree !!

If you are talking low buck backyard build then you are getting way ahead of yourself with the want list. I will address your questions in the order asked.

1. Disc brakes are fine. There are plenty of available kits to easily put discs on your stock '37 spindles. As far as lowering, a dropped axle will work great, look great, and be your most budget-friendly option. Basically a bolt-in affair. Forget the Mustang rack - not necessary or feasible with a beam axle. A rebuilt stock steering box will work just fine, or you can upgrade to a Vega box fairly easily.

2. Yes absolutely brace the body! Make sure the door openings/gaps are correct And brace brace brace. It will save you many headaches later.

3. For the rear, the stock Ford suspension is FINE. You can go with a reverse eye spring if you want to drop it a bit. It's there, works well and is already engineered.

Remember - K.I.S.S. !!! The simpler and more affordable you keep things the better chance this car has of actually seeing the road and not just another abandoned project/pile of parts from a new guy that got in over his head and was quickly overwhelmed. A '37 slantback is a cool car - Do it justice!

BED is right on [cl
Post some pix so we can inspire you [;)

thanks

thanks for the reply guys...my want list is not written in stone..i guess what I should be asking is what is the best way to address these issues..don't want to waste time..cash ,,or this car..thats why im here to find out what works from guys that have done this before.. any an all help will be great!! [S

Best advice I could give to you with your ideas is to check the forum section for builds here. Find a vehicle similar to what you are working on and look to see how these guys accomplished all these tasks. Most of them have taken quite a bit of time posting pix and ideas along the way as they proceeded with their builds. Don't get bogged down with the idea you need a full blown rod shop to get anything done. There are people here that have limited tools and still put out some fantastic stuff. If something stumps you along the way, feel free to ask how. You'll find there are as many ways to build a rod as there are to skin a cat.

If you keep the rear suspension and change to a open driveshaft rear end, you will have to have some kind of radius rods or truck style arms to locate it. Speedway and others sell parallel leaf spring sets that might be easier to set up, no extra radius rods needed.

blue eyed devil got it pretty good for you. what motor are you going to use? if you have a running flatty i would only do upgrades and change as i go. a driver is more fun then a project.

motor

the flatty is there and free.going to try to fire it up ..I have a ford 302 an 4 speed i would like to put in it

Welcome to RRR.

You really want something easier to start with. :D I'll be glad to come over and take that thing off your hands. [ddd

Seriously, you have a car that I wish I had. Very cool. Take your time and do it right. Right = the way you want it.

And don't be lazy like me. Start a build thread. Have fun!

Latest posts

Back