Just a gasser look

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

I love gassers but i am on a budget at this time, maybe along time. Speedway sells the gasser straight axle kit for my 53 chevy for $800, but thats like 8 million dollars to me until the kids are grown. Was reading on different sites about guys back in the sixties putting 2 or 3 inch blocks in between the frame and crossmember. To me it sounds dangerous and looks like it would throw the steering out of whack. I can afford to do this, would add oil pan clearance for easy removal, would be easy to change back, but would it over stress the rod ends and steering box? Im all about cheap but im not ready to die yet.

Might be OK for a straight line drag car but I wouldn't do it on a street car that will go around curves. Jeep Grand Cherokees had a straight axle that would be pretty simple to adapt and they are plentiful in the junk yards. Not free but cheap!

Junk yards around here for some reason think everything they have is gold. Needed a glove box door for my equinox, $85! You can buy brand new for the price of junk around here.

Here's the hard truth - If $800 is a lot to you, then the word "gasser" shouldn't even be in your vocabulary. Just put together a decent safe cruiser in your budget and have a neat old car to drive safely.

Also, where the hell are you going to pay prices like that on late model vehicle parts? There are plenty of pick-n-pull type yards around southern Ohio that are more than affordable...

Here's the hard truth - If $800 is a lot to you, then the word "gasser" shouldn't even be in your vocabulary. Just put together a decent safe cruiser in your budget and have a neat old car to drive safely.

Agreed! I always loved the gasser look & put a Speedway gasser front end under my panel truck... wish I hadn't! Driving a gasser on the street was not fun. The guy I sold it to took it out & put in a lowered front & said it drove SO much better! :eek:

BoB

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 34
Gasser

Don't know what you mean by blocking between the frame and crossmember, the axle is mounted either on top of or under dual semi elliptical leaf springs. Get a Ford econoline, or similar , axle and start mocking it up, you can put blocking between the axle and springs, add longer shackles, or harder arched springs. Just make sure when mocking it up you have all the projected finished weight on it .

I research the heck out of everything. So far every site ive found on this blocking the cossmember thing is positive. One guy went to 7 inches, too high for me, but seen some at 4 inches. Looked great and said no steering problems what so ever. The car will never see speeds over 45mph.

Just a cool looking cruiser that i can change around if i get bored with the way it looks. Maybe after the kids are grown and out of the house it will see a V8 and straight axle.

Saw a small 4 dr Mercedes probably a early 60's in Albuquerque years ago.
I think it was all stock except it was up in the front with a straight axle and larger wheels in the back.
Still after all these years i want to make one similar to it. :)

I had a 59 Vette when I was a kid that had the same suspension/steering as the early 50 Chevy passenger cars. The guy I bought it from had put wood blocks between the frame and front cross member. Something locked up when I was making a sharp turn in a parking lot and I hit a concrete curb stop and tore the front cross member loose and broke one of the blocks. Fixed pretty easy, just removed the blocks and put regular length bolts back in and had it aligned. Probably be OK as long as its only a couple inches and be sure you don't get a bind somewhere like I got. I really like the look myself. Just keep it reasonable.

I bought 2 H-beams, 4x4 x12 inches long and 32 grade 8 nuts and bolts. I still have to order the 6 inch end links. If anything binds up or seems like it will, i will go lower. Ive read up alot about it and everything ive seen so far says 4 inches max before fabrication starts, and shouldnt cause binding if all the steering parts are in good shape. Ive been replacing everything worn. My low budget car is costing me a small fortune to get it the way i want it.

i just added up the parts list on my CL special. More than I ever intended. But as things went along, I found more cool things that it "needed". :D

I just got 2 race seats from jegs, more fuel line and straps to move the fuel tank, an ungodly amount of metal and a ton of welding supplies. Just when i think i got it the way i want it, i spend a couple hundred changing it. Ive got 2 full days this weekend, a pile of supplies, and no money. Let the creativeness begin.

gasser

i love gassers, i hope this turns out how you want it and is safe. and most of all it will see speeds over 45. happy cruizing

c

Latest posts

Back