28 Sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the brake pedal worked out and a driveshaft tunnel made. I'll get pics, I promise, I just been really busy. I have a trans cooler, 6.0 diesel truck, brand new, laying around and been thinking of using it. It's pretty big so I thought I may put it back where the fuel cell is. I have a inline thermostat switch ordered that will go in the trans line, i'll put a fan on it that will kick on when the temp gets to 175. I'll run hard line back to it. Soon as I get caught up, I'll get back on it.

Got the floor boards in and fooled around with the gear box a little. Found out my reversed corvair box isn't going to work. $300 I shouldn't have spent. I guess I can sell it and go with a vega cross steer set up. This car is set up for cowl steering, I have 2 different steering arms that bolts to the spindle, drag link was in the front so what all am I looking at to go to cross steer? I'll post pics of my set up, headers, head and you name it is in the way and this junk block I'm using for mock up is a tall deck so I'm going to have less room. Check out the pics and give me some ideas.

Attachments

• 20181218_165114.jpg
    20181218_165114.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20181218_165120.jpg
    20181218_165120.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20181218_165135.jpg
    20181218_165135.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20181218_165141.jpg
    20181218_165141.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 52
Should have mentioned it has a 6 in dropped axle, wish it was 4, and nobody had ever installed shocks. With the spring behind the axle, I think that's what going to give me problems with cross steering.

I don't think cross steer is going to work with spring behind. The steering arms on the spindle would be to long. I think the tie rod would work in front of the axle with long arms in order to get the geometry right. You still may have to go with cowl steering

Only way I could go with cowl is with a box mounted under the dash, Mopar or something like that. May just sell what I got and go with a I beam forged axle with a 4 in drop.

There is no room to mount the box, where it needs to be is right where the header would go, plus the way the box bolts on would present another problem. Deck is taller on this block which means with my 427 I'll have a little less room.I'm going to look into mounting the spring on top of the axle, will have to change the mounting point of the spring.

If you are trying to stay with a push/pull steering setup you could also run a early Falcon/Comet/Mustang box, which mounts underneath the frame rail with the pitman arm facing up. It works well and Speedway sells the bracket. That mounting location could buy you some extra room.

If it is still a little tight box-wise, 1980's Toyota Celicas have a box that mounts the same and is very similar to the F/C/M unit, but about 2/3 the size.

Welcome to fitting 10 pounds of sh*t in a 5 pound bag! :D

Thanks for the replies, I got a chance to fool with it a little today. I raised the block and trans, by moving the box back some I think everything will clear. Only problem will be the box won't center up with the column. I guess I could use a double U joint. I'd need a 36 spline to a 3/4 and I'd have to fab a lower column support to work with it. This junk dart block I'm using for mock up is a little thicker where the trans bolts on. The adjustment screw is setting against the block.

I think I got the steering worked out, bought a pair of bucket seats from a friend, Speedway low backs with covers. Got a garnish moulding for the rear glass, still need some for the quarter glass. A friend gave me 2 new quarter glass, tinted. I bought a small heater and a wiper motor kit, will get some pics shortly.

I'm just rereading this thread. You can't put a price tag on cool. And his motor looks cool.

Hey you guys, I resemble that. I have just paid a fortune to rebuild a flathead and am hoping for 150 horsepower.

But, I know what you're sayin'.

vht, keep on plugging away and posting pics for us[P[P

Motor mounts are done, except for I'm going to add a little more support to them once the block comes out. Pic of the floor with the master cyl and custom, billet, home made brake pedal. I cut the whole dash out, there were to many holes and I've decided to make my own. Going to try to work on it this weekend and get some stuff done. Going to wait and get a firewall fabbed before I tackle the tunnel.

Attachments

• 20181227_142901.jpg
    20181227_142901.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20181227_142911.jpg
    20181227_142911.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 39
Been busy, worked on it yesterday afternoon and again today. Got the firewall done, still need to bead roll it, at least now I can finish the tunnel. Got 2 pics of the outside and inside of the firewall. Also finished the motor mounts. Going to try and get the column mounted as soon as my double U joint comes in. I have to cut the hole for the steering box yet. I also have the dash cut out, need to cut the gauge holes and do some bead rolling.

Attachments

• 20181231_170143.jpg
    20181231_170143.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 37
  • 20181231_170133.jpg
    20181231_170133.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20181231_152843.jpg
    20181231_152843.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 37
I got a tunnel in today, I'll get pics when I get it finished. It's not what I really wanted but with the space I got to work with, it'll have to do. Brake pedal needs moved over more, figured I'd get the column in and see what else is going to be in the way first.

Latest posts

Back