My 1939 Ford PU Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I welded in my shock towers and brackets last night as well as my frame center X bracing. No pictures yet. Batteries are dead in the camera.
I ordered my Lokar trans mount shifter this morning from JEGS.
It's kind of funny to me when I order something from a store shelf. I think "oh crap, something shiny from a store is going on the truck":D
I pick up my buddies engine hoist tonight to remove the motor and trans this weekend. yippee

Last edited:
Good deal. I ordered some new parts today too. Sometimes you just need them. I haven't figured out how to make a fuel pump and regulator yet. :)

I assembled my new shifter and ran into a couple clearance problems with the floor.
One of the tunnel hoops was too far forward and the tunnel is a bit too narrow at the front. The shifter rod wont clear the floor.
So I will be cutting and welding today to get it to fit.

I think I lost count of how many times I have taken the cab on and off the truck throughout this build.

shifterproblem003.jpg

shifterproblem004.jpg

shifterproblem001.jpg

I learned something today from a old timer at work that may seem like common sense to some of you, but it was new to me.
I was trying to figure out how to bend up some 1/2" inch square tubing into a half circle and I dont have a powered tubing bender. He said in the old days they put the square tube in a vise and take a persuader on the end and bend back in small bites. Eventually they ended up with a half circle radius.
Seems like common sense but I thought I would share.

sometimes filling (pack it tight) with sand and capping off the ends with duct tape will help to avoid kinks and keep the bends more gradual also. dp1

Started tearing the truck apart today so I can get some paint on the chassis and wheels. Hopefully the next pictures I post are of a big pile of parts on the garage floor.:rolleyes:

Brian

It always kind of depresses me to have to tear them back apart for paint and plating but it sure feels extra good putting them back together knowing that it's for the final time. May the force be with you:D

I ran into a snag today. The last thing I needed to double check before I disassembled the front of the truck was the pulley and fan clearances. I knew the fan wasnt going to fit the stock way so I bought a electric fan to mount on the front of the radiator. Well the original crankshaft pulley on the balancer is hitting the radiator outlet.:eek: I dont have the alternator on either which is a lower side mount set up. I think the alternator pulley belt path is going to bite me too.
The donor car had a/c and power steering so I need to see if I can use a single pulley set up since the truck won't have either.
I hope I don't have to extend the front of the frame.:eek:
Any thoughts?

pulleyproblem004.jpg

pulleyproblem001.jpg

pulleyproblem002.jpg

I'M CLOSING OUT THIS THREAD.
I decided, after some heavy duty thinking, to sell my cab and bed and do a 33-34 truck. I ran into some big problems with this truck recently that was going to take alot of time to straighten out so I made the decision to start over.
I'm headed to Detroit next weekend to get my 1934 cab and bed.
Stay tuned. I will be back real soon!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back