1946 Chevy 1.5 ton

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welp.....found a 49 ford drop axle today(semi eliptical) like a chevy),complete with spindles and gm rotors/calipers.got a powersteering box and all the fixin's for the steering,the guy also threw in a stock 49 ford axle/spindles a new set of kingpins,misc other stuff.........for a WHOPPING.......................200 bux. something is finally working out my way...LOL

thats gonna be a sweet ride!

my buddy glen has a 46 1.5er going under the knife on killbillet.

Thanks bro,i cant wait to get started on the new front frame section! so many options with the new setup i just bought...im thinking of replacing the leafs with radius rods and a pair of air bags so i can lay the rockers on the ground....thats probably what im gonna end up doing,we'll see tomorrow nite when i start screwing around with the axle.i'll post some pics.

*****UPDATE*****
Got the axle and steering stuff today.This stuff is BRAND NEW...little lite surface rust on the rotors that whipes right off.came with a 49 ford power steering box too.

46chevyHAYMAKER001.jpg

46chevyHAYMAKER002.jpg

46chevyHAYMAKER003.jpg

46chevyHAYMAKER004.jpg

Thank you. Im now in the prosess of designing an air ride set up for the front.i will be using the above axle,removing the leafs completely and using radius rods.mounting the bags on the spring pads then fabricating the upper frame brackets.the thing thats got me now is im gonna need some sort of panhard bar.....the other problem i see is steering,can i swap the left spindle to the right and vice versa to put the steering in front of the axle? Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you. Im now in the prosess of designing an air ride set up for the front.i will be using the above axle,removing the leafs completely and using radius rods.mounting the bags on the spring pads then fabricating the upper frame brackets.the thing thats got me now is im gonna need some sort of panhard bar.....the other problem i see is steering,can i swap the left spindle to the right and vice versa to put the steering in front of the axle? Comments? Suggestions?

Yes you can but it won't handle as well and if you bump ANYTHING with the Tie Rod guess what happens. I also DO IT all the time so what do I know,.............lol

i think i understand...the spindles are angled back a lil bit and when we swap them they we screw up the pitch......am i on the right track?

Like I said I have no Idea what or why and It does not make it undriveable so I just run it if I have to. If I don't have to I avoid it and put the tie rod to the rear of the axle.

ackerman

hey p.k., here are some pics on ackerman angle and how it is set up, mainly it is in relation to your front tires on turns, to eliminate whats known as scrubbing where one tire will drag the other thru a turn, as seen the inside tire turning radius will be smaller than the outside tire on a giving turn. running your spindles either way can be done its your call. and millions of guys flip em, there are some angels to help prevent bump steer if your going with a "side" steer (traditional but with flipped spindles) setup as opossed to cross steer also. hope this helps, george. dp1

Attachments

• ackermn1.jpg
    ackermn1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 23
  • ackerman-8a.jpg
    ackerman-8a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 12
  • ackerman-7b.jpg
    ackerman-7b.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 15
  • ackerman-12.jpg
    ackerman-12.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 15
hey p.k., here are some pics on ackerman angle and how it is set up, mainly it is in relation to your front tires on turns, to eliminate whats known as scrubbing where one tire will drag the other thru a turn, as seen the inside tire turning radius will be smaller than the outside tire on a giving turn. running your spindles either way can be done its your call. and millions of guys flip em, there are some angels to help prevent bump steer if your going with a "side" steer (traditional but with flipped spindles) setup as opossed to cross steer also. hope this helps, george. dp1

that why i love this site, so much info!!!!!! rev tex <<<<<<< info junkie:D

Latest posts

Back