Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Mac, that is a sad sight indeed but the lid looks remarkably unscathed and appears to have enough good metal to be usable since the Packard lid is smaller I think. Brrrr, not liking the winter preview, makes me want to go south now!!

Hopefully you can at least find a safe route home soon!

Found out today I could cross the border into Washington and head east, come back into BC without having to present a negative Covid test to get in - but I don't have my passport with me - still screwed, maybe not getting through until Sunday!

I was actually wondering if you could go that way yesterday and had the same thought about the passport. Darn.

Got home today, found out that they would let me cross the border into Washington and back to BC after all without a passport or neg Covid test because of the special circumstances due to the flooding and highway closures. An 11 hr drive, but a nice sunny one once I got to the dry side of Washington. Super nice and understanding border gaurds on both sides.
While on the coast, I got a chance to snap some new pics of the coupe body, getting rained on in a sketchy shed. Lots of spare body parts come with it, 4 front fenders, 2 hoods, 3 rear fenders and 3 grille shells. At least it didn't get submerged in the floods :eek:
Gotta rescue it in the spring..........

Attachments

• IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3446.JPG
    IMG_3446.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3447.JPG
    IMG_3447.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3449.JPG
    IMG_3449.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3448.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 29
Surprisingly it doesn't look too bad considering its storage conditions. Nab me one of those cute little Scouts while you're bringing that one home :D

I'm glad to hear they made an exemption on passports for the circumstances and you were able to get back home safely!

Surprisingly it doesn't look too bad considering its storage conditions. Nab me one of those cute little Scouts while you're bringing that one home :D

I'm glad to hear they made an exemption on passports for the circumstances and you were able to get back home safely!

He as a lot of Scouts, at one time over 100, and has been selling them off - at one time he also had 120 Travelalls - a serious Cornbinder addiction :eek:

Got a start on the frame building, 4 link mounts are on, made the lower half of the driveshaft loop removeable to make installing or removing the driveshaft easier. The front crossmember and x in the center are just temporary until I get the main front member made. Nice to have the plan for the frame of the other car, plus I have it sitting right here for reference, even though they are very different. Still waiting for the coil overs and master cylinder/booster but there's lots of other fab to work on..[;)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3456.JPG
    IMG_3456.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3458.JPG
    IMG_3458.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3455.JPG
    IMG_3455.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3459.JPG
    IMG_3459.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 65
He as a lot of Scouts, at one time over 100, and has been selling them off - at one time he also had 120 Travelalls - a serious Cornbinder addiction :eek:

I've long has this silly idea of making one of the small scouts into a daily driver.

Got a start on the frame building, 4 link mounts are on, made the lower half of the driveshaft loop removeable to make installing or removing the driveshaft easier. The front crossmember and x in the center are just temporary until I get the main front member made. Nice to have the plan for the frame of the other car, plus I have it sitting right here for reference, even though they are very different. Still waiting for the coil overs and master cylinder/booster but there's lots of other fab to work on..[;)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Holy, ZZ, you are making up for lost time! Do you have any tips on frame welding? I'm going to do my first frame project this winter and it will involve a lot of welding.

I've long has this silly idea of making one of the small scouts into a daily driver.

Holy, ZZ, you are making up for lost time! Do you have any tips on frame welding? I'm going to do my first frame project this winter and it will involve a lot of welding.

Bevel the edges of all your joints to get maximum penetration, and if you are not blessed with a frame table - and I am not - measure, measure, measure. Get everything level and clamped together, tack things, then measure again. For the rear section, I tacked the pieces of one side together, then clamped the pieces of the other side to it and welded them up on one side, dressed the welds and swapped sides to finish welding them. That made it easier to attach it to the main frame and get it square & level. I used 2x4's and bar clamps to help keep the rails spaced right and just about every other clamp I have to get it all square and positioned right. It's like most things, the quality of the results are dependent on the quality of the prep.

Bevel the edges of all your joints to get maximum penetration, and if you are not blessed with a frame table - and I am not - measure, measure, measure. Get everything level and clamped together, tack things, then measure again. For the rear section, I tacked the pieces of one side together, then clamped the pieces of the other side to it and welded them up on one side, dressed the welds and swapped sides to finish welding them. That made it easier to attach it to the main frame and get it square & level. I used 2x4's and bar clamps to help keep the rails spaced right and just about every other clamp I have to get it all square and positioned right. It's like most things, the quality of the results are dependent on the quality of the prep.

Thanks for the tips, ZZ. I plan to utilize my 4-post lift as a bit of a frame table. I won't be welding to it, but I'll be using it as my flat and level surface (It is) on which to get everything straight and level.

What type of welders do you use for frame work and body work? Do you use gas?

Thanks for the tips, ZZ. I plan to utilize my 4-post lift as a bit of a frame table. I won't be welding to it, but I'll be using it as my flat and level surface (It is) on which to get everything straight and level.

What type of welders do you use for frame work and body work? Do you use gas?

I use my Miller 252 mig for everything and only use solid wire. The gasless wire sucks, you might as well be arc welding, having to chip off flux, not to mention the mess and lots of toxic fumes. The lift should make a good frame table, now I'm jealous :rolleyes::D

Latest posts

Back