'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The little woman, three Poodles and I spent January in Florida. Now it's time to get back to work. I framed the floor in. Will be covered with 3/4" plywood. I like wood because it's a thermal insulator and sound deadener. Stain it and put some varnish on it and it looke good too.

Attachments

• Floor Framed 002.jpg
    Floor Framed 002.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Floor Framed 003.jpg
    Floor Framed 003.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Floor Framed 001.jpg
    Floor Framed 001.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 79
Yes, smallfoot, I'm embarrassed to say I didn't look you up. Wanted to, but it seems like my Florida family kept me busy. I got to Bradenton for the drags one day but that was all I got to do on my own time.

Today I cut the plywood to fit and stained it. Brazilian rosewood is the name of the stain.

Attachments

• Stain 001.jpg
    Stain 001.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 58
So much for the "race seasons around the corner" [S I know you and that shop don't look right without a roadster in the corner. [cl
Dropped you a PM over on the ham site [ddd

Tom, I got the PM. Internet was down for a day so that's why I was slow to respond. I did work on the Bantam a bit today and ordered an 8" converter and billet axles for the dragster earlier this week.

Started cutting and bending sheet metal for the trans cover.

Attachments

• Trans Cover 001.jpg
    Trans Cover 001.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Trans Cover 002.jpg
    Trans Cover 002.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 48
  • Trans Cover 003.jpg
    Trans Cover 003.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 50
Trans cover look real nice on the Bantam. I see what you mean about foot room for two peddles, real tight. What stall is in the 8" converter? When is your first race this season?
Three hot rods to work on, it don't get much better than that. [;)[;)[;)

Thanks, but no thanks, Torchie. Wood and I don't get along that well. Dr. C, I don't know about seven counties. I'd like to be known as decent builder in the Five County Mosquito Control District.:D
Finished cutting, bending and tacking all the metal for the floor. The shift lever is all funky from when the engine and four speed were in my dragster. That was a short lived experiment. The wood gets 4 coats of urethane and the tin has to be finish welded, sanded and painted.

Attachments

• Floor Done 002.jpg
    Floor Done 002.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Floor Done 006.jpg
    Floor Done 006.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Floor Done 005.jpg
    Floor Done 005.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Floor Done 003.jpg
    Floor Done 003.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 76
  • Floor Done 004.jpg
    Floor Done 004.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Floor Done 001.jpg
    Floor Done 001.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 75
Yes, it will be a bit tight in the pedal area. But not as tight as a Sprite or MG Midget.

Went to a little indoor swap meet Sunday and bought a pair of real glass tail light lenses and bezels from my friend Farmer Don. I whittled out some brackets and internal pieces today. Just need to find some suitable double filament sockets. Does anyone have a part number for a good tail light socket?

Attachments

• Tail Light 001.jpg
    Tail Light 001.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Tail Light 002.jpg
    Tail Light 002.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 62
Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. Supposed to be working on the Bantam but I can't leave the roadster alone. This is the first stick shift hot rod I've build in a while. Last one was a '34 International pick up/ bobber with a 250 Chevy 6 and a Saginaw 4 speed. I used a 60's-something Chevy truck combo master cylinder for the clutch and brakes. It worked well so am using the same set up in this build.

I checked my supply of pedal arms and mounting brackets and found that the cupboard was bare. So, it was make everything from scratch. So far, I have the clutch arm finished.
Looks like there will be enough room for 3 pedals.

Attachments

• clutch pedal 004.jpg
    clutch pedal 004.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 43
  • clutch pedal 005.jpg
    clutch pedal 005.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back