Small shop projects.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
I've never liked my lawn-sweep and this fall when it broke down, I found another cheap one and started making it better.
First I took the wheel drive sprockets out of the drive wheels. One wheel needed to be moved out so I could put a V-belt pulley on one end of the shaft that turns the brush that flicks up the grass clippings. [pic one]. Now I'm going to mount a hydraulic motor on the framework to turn the previously mentioned pulley. The ground driven brush would not turn quite fast enough and the narrow, hard, plastic wheels would slide on uneven ground if the brushes caught on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 50
That lawn-sweep is coming along now. Here is a picture of my hitch, my hydraulic hose holder and the base mount for the hydraulic ram [that lifts the clippings basket]. The second picture is the hitch gismo mounted and the red ram connected.
Picture 3 is the mounting bracket for the hydraulic motor to turn the brushes.
#4 is the motor mounted and bolted down.

Attachments

• IMG_3181.jpg
    IMG_3181.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3183.jpg
    IMG_3183.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 20
more lawn sweep stuff.

The first picture is showing the spring loaded belt tensioner.
The next pic is the hydraulic ram compressed and holding the litter basket open.
The third pic is the ram extended and the basket closed.

Attachments

• IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3187.jpg
    IMG_3187.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Even big projects, like the roadster build now dominating my time, I break down into little, bite-sized projects. Keeps me from getting overwhelmed.

There's a satisfaction in fixing/repairing/improving something instead of buying an inferior new gizmo. You guys are demonstrating that.[cl

You pull it behind a riding lawnmower and it sweeps up grass clippings and leaves.
[cl[cl

Thanks for clearing that up.

Even big projects, like the roadster build now dominating my time, I break down into little, bite-sized projects. Keeps me from getting overwhelmed.

There's a satisfaction in fixing/repairing/improving something instead of buying an inferior new gizmo. You guys are demonstrating that.[cl

That`s it. I just have to fix old things. It may cost just the same as new stuff when done, but you end up with better quality and looks. Working on an old power hacksaw right now... :rolleyes:

I took one of those down to Brazil, and tried to use it to pick up grass clippings on the grass landing field (airstrip, for the mission Cessna 206), but it couldn't handle the amount of clippings I was attempting to pick up. The only time I needed to get them off of the airstrip was when we had been away for a longer period, and there was so much that it could cause the airplane to skid. Otherwise, the small bit of grass didn't matter. I never did find a good way to do that job, except just raking the entire airstrip. Mammoth job. I would blow it over toward the side with the mower as much as possible, then the rest had to be done by hand.

My brother has a power sweeper that you tow behind your tractor but it has a motor that drives the sweeper. Similar to what Mac is building, but his is enclosed. The result that you eject is essentially a grass bale.

Neto, my old sweep was ground driven so it wouldn't pick up heavy, wet or green grass very well, so I wanted to have it 'powered'. If I cut my grass a way more often it would be easier, but I let it get a wee bit too long before I recut it. It usually takes me all day to cut my lawn.
It turns out that I like building things, so sometimes I spend weeks building something to save a few hours working it. That doesn't compute for ordinary folks.
Bob, you have figured me out.
Thanks Dozer, imagineering is my middle name.
I'll bet Dutch will be scouring all over western Europe to get himself a lawn-sweep now.
I almost finished the sweep now except for the hydraulic hoses on the ram.

Attachments

• IMG_3188.jpg
    IMG_3188.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 7
There is no leaf moving of any kind round here except with the mower.
It makes for a good compost for next year.

That’s what I do too! I use a leaf blower to blow the sidewalk and driveway off, but the grass clippings and leaves get cut and recut and left on the yard. It would take forever to sweep my 2 acres. I bought a mower with a bagger a few years back, I was spending more time emptying the bag than I was mowing, so I took off the bag and put it in the scrap pile.

Guess I’d never make it in town or if I lived where there was a HOA. Swept yards look good, but I’m too lazy to do mine!:eek:

That’s what I do too! I use a leaf blower to blow the sidewalk and driveway off, but the grass clippings and leaves get cut and recut and left on the yard. It would take forever to sweep my 2 acres. I bought a mower with a bagger a few years back, I was spending more time emptying the bag than I was mowing, so I took off the bag and put it in the scrap pile.

Guess I’d never make it in town or if I lived where there was a HOA. Swept yards look good, but I’m too lazy to do mine!:eek:

Sweepers like Mac has are made for big lawns and you can go at a healthy speed so it's pretty quick to do.

Mine I tow with my zero turn. We have about 2.5 acres of grass. I don't do the whole thing, just where grass clippings are heavy certain times of the year. I did the heavier areas after the leaves dropped and put them on the garden then mulched the rest on the lawn. I've used my sweeper after using the pull-behind de-thatcher and it works great to get all that junk off the lawn. They have their place, for sure.

I’m sure all that stuff works good Snopro, I’m just to cheap/ lazy to buy and use it! Cutting the grass once a week in summer is enough work for me, my yard probably has as many weeds as it has grass blades, so I don’t get too detailed in keeping it done, I’m just happy when it’s cut and done, lol.[cl

To run the hydraulics on the lawn sweep, I need a hydraulic pump on the garden tractor. Here is the bracket to hold the pump. I had to cut a hole in the foot rest to bring one oil pipe up through to get the pump far enough away from the front wheel at the end of its steering arc. Here's an old belt on the pulleys.

Attachments

• IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 15
I'm in a development on a 100 x 100 lot so not a lot of lawn but like to keep it nice. I use a big backpack blower. Blow them onto a tarp and drag them to the woods.

Looks like a neat machine! The little fenced in area area my house is all I mow and I don't get too excited about that either. It's maybe 3/4 acre. I use a mulching blade on the mower and let the clippings lie. We're nothing but sand here so extra compost is welcome. I'm still cleaning up storm debris from the 2 storms this year and right now, the best way to handle that is with a mower. I'm still using a manual push mower. It looks like the floor of a tooth pick factory around here...

here`s my lawn maintenance team. :D Both from the `70s. I rebuilt my "parts" mower and keep the other for back up. I dumped the collectors years ago. I kept walking to empty them.

Attachments

• IMGP4895.jpg
    IMGP4895.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back