RPU, bodywork underway.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now just because the car is about finished is no reason to not keep coming around! [ddd Really enjoy your writing style Don.[cl[cl[cl

Now just because the car is about finished is no reason to not keep coming around! [ddd Really enjoy your writing style Don.[cl[cl[cl

Thanks, this place has always been special to me. Tripper has gone out of his way to make a very clean, fun site for all of us, and the membership here is the best. You could not hand pick better people, or nicer people.

The best part is, unlike a certain other forum we all know , no one beats up on each other here. We treat each other with respect and try to actually offer advice that is not judgemental, but helpful.

A forum is only as good as it's membership, and this one is A1 in all respects.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with Don. This group is special.

Don introduced me to this site and what a stroke of good fortune it was.

I would like to underline what you just said, Don. I'm proud to be part of this forum's A1 membership. All of you guys add to A1-ness. Thank-you.
As Torchie once said, "It's hard to ride herd on a bunch of artists", but Tripper does it so smoothly we don't notice.

Tonight Dan and I drilled the final hole in the bed of the rpu, and then blew it all apart so I can take the framework to the powdercoater maybe Monday, and while it is there I can start prepping the sheet metal that goes on the bed for primer and paint.

This bed has taken a lot longer than I ever envisioned, but it is also much nicer than I planned because Dan has devoted so much time and work to making it that way.

Once I get the framework back and the sides are painted, I can get it all assembled and then start making the rear nerf bar/license plate mount. After that, it will be getting the car insured and licensed. Can't believe this is finally this close to being done !!

What's next?:D

This one is the end of the line, Bob. Time for me to maybe just go to my shop to tinker, but no more builds for me. At 75, it is not the fun it once was, and the body isn't as flexible as it once was. Plus, how many cars does one person really need ?

I also want to stop imposing on my two sons, especially Dan, for their time and work helping me. Last night, when we drilled that last hole, Dan looked VERY relieved, now he can go play with his own projects.

The reason Dan has spent more time on this than his brother is because Don not only works a full time job every day, but 3-4 nights a week he plays in a band. Dan is also a musician, and works a 40 hour regular job, but his band only plays for special events, like weddings, etc, so he plays maybe one night a week. I really feel bad that I have sucked up so much of his time over this project, but when I am gone this car goes to him and the 27 will go to Don.

But thanks for asking.

Don,
I and many others have thoroughly enjoyed your posts and watching this fine build come together.
But......
Never say never.lol. I figured my custom truck was my last build and here I am sort of at it again. There are lots of half finished projects out there looking for a home. Mine may be one of them someday.😂
I envy your sons playing. I played my first gig at age 9 and my last one at age 59.
Of all the things that I can no longer do, I miss making music the most.
What ever your future brings please stay connected to us here on the best site on the internet.
Torchie

Don this build and your posts are some of my favorites. I look forward to checking in on you and all the builds and builders. The knowledge on this site is amazing. Please stick around.

Thanks guys, as I said it is people like you who make this a great place. I sometimes feel I should post on other people's threads more often, but I really sometimes just like to read them and all of the other posts. I do go through every section about every night, looking for new posts, and enjoy finding all the new stuff you guys post.

Tonight Jorge brought over the last two pieces of the interior, the two carpeted floor sections. As with everything else he did, they look great and fit like a glove. The only thing left to do on the interior is for Dan to fab up some sill plates to cover the area between the door and floor, then I can paint those to match the body.

Tomorrow I will take the bed framework to the powdercoater, and start on the bed sides and tailgate.

Here are some pictures of the carpeting he dropped off tonight.

Attachments

• DSC08520.jpg
    DSC08520.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC08521.jpg
    DSC08521.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC08522.jpg
    DSC08522.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC08523.jpg
    DSC08523.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 28
I dropped off all of the bed framework parts at the powercoater this morning early. He says it should be done by Friday, but he has never hit a target date in all the years I have been using him, so it will probably be next week. But I have a lot of other things to prep and paint, so it is no big deal.

Funny part was, the entire bed framework fit in the trunk of my car. lol I decided to have all the parts done in gloss black to contrast against the satin black of the body panels.

Your going to have to remove your shoes before entering :D

Looks Super!!![cl

I’d have to wear some of those painters coveralls if I ever got in it. I’m a natural dirt and grease magnet, so I’d have it dirty in no time!
I echo Soltz, it looks great!

Such a simple, well thought out interior, like the rest of your car, I love it [cl[cl
Your thoughts on this site and its inhabitants are right on too, I also check out others build threads and contributions, sometimes I don't comment just because others have already hit the mark - better than watching the news :D
Besides that I'm also on the lookout for ideas to apply to my own stuff :cool:

Such a simple, well thought out interior, like the rest of your car, I love it [cl[cl
Your thoughts on this site and its inhabitants are right on too, I also check out others build threads and contributions, sometimes I don't comment just because others have already hit the mark - better than watching the news :D
Besides that I'm also on the lookout for ideas to apply to my own stuff :cool:

X2. Well said

As always, guys, thank you for the nice words.

Yesterday I called a place named Hot Rod Carburation and had a conversation with the owner, who was nice enough to spend a lot of time with me, trying to sort out what was going on with my tripower set up. He is in the process of retiring and selling the business, so he could not sell me any of his inventory, but we were able to get a lot of info and a couple of parts.

He says the problems I am having with my tripower setup is very common and he has gotten tons of calls over the years with exactly the issues I am having. I told him I even got down to the point where the two outside carbs were dummies, all blocked off, and I was only trying to get a two barrel car running correctly.

He agreed that what I had was a massive vacuum leak somewhere. He said it could only be in either the intake to head gaskets, or in the center carb somewhere. He said they always used Edelbrock 7201 intake gaskets because he feels they seal well, and I called my local Pep Boys and they have a set in stock.

He said it sounds like the base on my center carb is either worn out, leaking air around the butterfly shafts, or, the fact that this center carb is different than the two I bought for the ends might be a factor. The center carb has a plate that is missing off the back, and whoever rebuilt it put a round plug in one of the holes.

So, at the end of the conversation, I bought a core Rochester 2 g from him and a kit to rebuild it. I am going to freshen this one up, put the manifold back on, block off the two end carbs again, and see if this thing will run on only a two barrel. I mean, how simple can you get, a two barrel should be a no brainer !!!!!!!!!!!

The reasons I want to go back to the trips is because the Holley 750 I have on there is REALLY too much for this motor and it is running way to rich. I could put smaller jets in there, but I want to end up with trips eventually, so I might as well roll up my sleeves and try to figure this thing out.

While I am waiting for those carb parts to come I am going to start prepping the bed sheet metal for primer and paint.

at least by switching to the 4bbl, you eliminated the possibility that there was something wrong with the engine. Good luck with the tri-power.

Latest posts

Back