1928 Pierce Arrow frame z'ing question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdybowski

Ok kids, maybe you can give a little help while I'm not in the garage. I have a 1928 Pierce Arrow frame that I plan on z'ing tonight (tomorrow). My issue (in my mind) is that I may have a bit of a height issue. I assume that a typical Model A frame rail height is about 5 or 6 inches. When stacked, 10-12 inches. My frame is a whopping 7.5", when stacked...you guessed it, 15". If I have the mid section of the frame about 5-6" off the ground, that means the top of my z'd frame is going to be at a height of 20-21".
I am going to be using a 42-48 Ford front suspension (spring in front). The question of the day is, do you think that the frame will sit too high? I don't know the height of the spring (I am not at home), but this is bothering the hell out of me today! ANY info is appreciated!

assemble the front axle with the spring and the wheels and tires you are going to use and set the frame at the height you said and check it out. I think you could notch the 2 frame pieces so you are only going up half of what you said? think it thru....measure ,measure, measure! set the main part of the frame at the ride height you want and adjust the front of the frame to fit. I know you can do it! pics and a build thread would help us help you.

AN INTRODUCTION IS REQUIRED PLEASE DO SO.

thanks sawzall! I'll introduce myself...next on the list :D I'll start a build thread as well, I am at work and was pondering the frame, hence the question without images, etc.
I thought of only going partially up, however, I REALLY like the amount of surface area there is to weld to when stacking. I will get my front end set up tonight and do a bit more measuring.
Watch for a bit more of me this weekend...update/build thread AND yes, an introduction!

Johnny, are you gonna do a small Z in the front, like mine or Z it at the firewall? Either way, how about using 2"x 3" rec tubing for the stacked part of the frame? That way you're looking at 10-1/2" total height as opposed to 15". Also, remember the higher you make the spring perch the lower to the ground your frame will be.

Have you considered C notching the frame instead of cutting and stacking the frame rails? It would look so much better plus you dont end up with the rear portion of the frame sitting up so high. Google C notch and you'll see lots of pics of kits plus suspension setups. I prefer the look of the third pic with the side plates curved instead of just angle cut but thats just me...

Attachments

• 1111cct-04-o-+fatman-fab-rear-suspension+c-notch-kit.jpg
    1111cct-04-o-+fatman-fab-rear-suspension+c-notch-kit.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 24
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1455.jpg
    100_1455.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 30
2.3Turbo_T ...after MANY beers and a ton of time thinking and thinking again, in the end I went with z'ing it at the firewall. (and thanks a TON for the images you sent me!) I will post some pics on a build thread (starting as soon as I am done here).

Latest posts

Back