rear end swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madkins23

I am building my first rat rod and I am currently trying to find a rear end for it. Has anybody put a modern (as in a late 90s early 2000s) Chevy 1/2 ton 6 lug rear end with disc brakes and put it under a 50s Chevy?

i'm sure some body has on here ,, I wouldn't see a problem in doing it .. just build to fit ,, thats what its all about USE WHAT YOU GOT that way it dont cost an arm and a leg to build JMO

Only thing to watch for is the track width of the rear you're putting in the Chevy. You won't have enough tire to fender well clearance if it's too wide.

hadnt thought of that old iron .... I bought a T-bucket kit from speedway about 20 years ago and they sent me a 9" ford housing and it was out of a van ,, that thing was about 4 " wider than the T-bird or LTD I didnt know it till I tried to find axles for it :(

Unless your just set on 6 lug, s10 and mustang rears are a lot narrower. Pre 70s had the narrowest 6 lug axles.

Yeah I pretty dead set on the 6 lug cause I have 6 lug rims for it. I would like to find a Chevy rear end to put under it just cause I like the idea of putting a modern Chevy parts on a old Chevy truck

I think Toyota trucks use a 6 lug rear end, if they do they are probably narrower then a Chevy truck.

I think the only 6 lug chevy now is the 4x4 s everything else is 5 and Im thinking the newer 80s and up are a 5 lug pattern all there own the older chevy is the car pattern if Im not wrong on that ,,I dont know what year they changed.. but it is nice to keep one wheel pattern on your ride ,,

I measured a rear end out of a 99 Silverado 4x4 it was about 69 1/2 " long the one out of 53 was about 62. But I measured the Silverado with the rotors still on it and my 53 just from axle flange to axle flange that still has to be to long right?

How 'bout a Chevy LUV rear-end?

The Chevy LUV rear-end is about 55" wide, is the same 6 lug...most come with a 4:11 gear, (standard trans) and have axles as big as 9" Fords....I've run them under everything I'm building. Most can be bought for mere fraction of after market stuff.

Was mentioned above, the 4cyl trucks like Mazda,Luvs,Couriers,Nissan,all had 6lug just not sure if they hold up under horseplay.Toyota had 5 lug at least in their two wheel drives.

Latest posts

Back