My 37 Dodge pu build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
Mike at Cornfield Customs is starting on my frame next week so I figure it is time to start my build thread. I have been collecting parts for four years as money allowed so it has been slow going. Finally saved enough dollars for my frame so now I will be able to make some progress.
Sorry for the small pics but it is the only way I know how to post them.

hotrod 019.jpg
hotrod 023.jpg
hotrod 016.jpg
hotrod 002.jpg
1955 Plymouth dash, took 7 inches off of each end and 7 inches out of the middle. SW wing gauges went in with just a little modification.
hotrod 005.jpg
hotrod 006.jpg
hotrod 001.jpg
hotrod 003.jpg
37 Dodge dump truck body I chopped 3 inches. My computer crashed awhile back and I lost all pics of the chop and a lot of other things.

More pics to come.

More pics

hotrod 012.jpg
Front suspension from Speedway and Total Performance.
hotrod 015.jpg
hotrod 046.jpg
S10 rearend, everything new.
hotrod 017.jpg
Rear suspension Total Performance Pro Street.
hotrod 065.jpg
hotrod 009.jpg
hotrod 008.jpg
1950 buick 263ci 8. 3 new Strombergs and custom exhaust and intake. Rebuilt Saginaw 4spd and Hurst shifter. Bentsen adapter, flywheel and starter. The wife has no idea what those carbs cost and I'm not gonna tell her lol.
hotrod 072.jpg
My man Mike, owner of Cornfield Customs.

Attachments

• hotrod 058.jpg
    hotrod 058.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 90
Dirtyrat, that's the first chop I have done and the first welding I ever did. Hopefully the first bump I hit the roof won't fly off.:eek:

Whoa, Bruno, nice start, nice cab, nice choice of motor and nice choice of transmission [a standard]. Is this what they call a 'slingshot' build thread start? You've launched dramatically out of the hole already reved up.
Wow.
Keep on tinkering.

Wow Bruno. Great job on the chop. One of my favorite cabs too. Engine choice is neat. You and I are going to love this hot rod.

ok been plugging away on the chassis for Bruno. he provided me with prints of all the dimensions he needed and an idea of what he was after. after a little tweaking and some hard work this is where i am at since starting on it sunday.

chassis table all cleaned off and ready to get building

skip ahead a little got the front rails tapered from 4 inch in the rear to 2 inches in the front. front x member tacked in, rails under the cab cut and tacked in place and front suspension half hung.

then put in piece of tube i bent up to go under the engine, per request. and the piece of 2 x 4 tube to support the radiator in the front also per request

in the rear for the kick up i like to use flat plate for the bottom to make it look like a bent rail. i also like to plate the splice on the inside ( internal shear load gusset). so i cut and bent these pieces of 3/16 plate to put on the inside.

here is how i bent them, in my home made press brake tool for my 50 ton press

here are the holes to plug weld the internal plates in the kick up

after getting the rear kick up tacked up, and the vertical sections cut, i then notched the rails on the vertical mill to accept the rear section of the frame. i like to do it this way so it gives me more welding area for a stronger area

the front mount brackets for the rear leaf springs would not work right so i designed some up in auto cad and cut them out on the plasma table . used the original bracket for a template then matched the anlge and distance need to attach to the frame correctly

Mike the frame looks great, can't wait to see it on Friday.[dr It was definitely worth the wait. Your ideas on the frame are 100 times better than what I drew.

I-R-POPS when I saw the pictures this morning not only did I feel giddy but I got a chu88y, and at my age that doesn't happen much in the mornings anymore.:eek:

Latest posts

Back