My 37 Dodge pu build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE

I-R-POPS when I saw the pictures this morning not only did I feel giddy but I got a chu88y, and at my age that doesn't happen much in the mornings anymore.:eek:[/QUOTE]

So life is good at your house. When do you get to pick it up?

Dirtyrat, that's the first chop I have done and the first welding I ever did. Hopefully the first bump I hit the roof won't fly off.:eek:

Wow, I can't believe the door gaps you got, especially with that being your first chop. It looks awesome! This is going to be a sweet ride, love the Straight Eight Buick!

I think it's cool you're using an S-10 rear, a lot of people are afraid of them for some reason [S

I'll be taking my motor/trans and rearend up on Friday (280mi round trip) so Mike can make the mounts for them, so it shouldn't be to long after that. Did I mention that I'm excited as all get out?:D
A friend gave me the S10 rearend, gears look great and I installed new bearings and seals. It is a little narrow but I'm going to get Early Wheels Co. steelies. They will make them in any back space that you need. Saving up my pennies for them and my tires. Right now I'm running plywood wheels! The 263 8 only has 128hp and 7.2:1 cr so it should not tax the rearend, I don't know the torque #s but it was moving a 4000lb buick, besides I drive like an old woman, at least that's what my lovely wife says.

Last edited:
About the chop

I was really leery of doing the chop but it was relatively easy. When I took the three inches out the top the front a pillars lined up perfectly. In the rear I cut the 3 inches out 1 inch. above the belt line and it only took 2 relief cuts on each side to line it up. For some reason the easiest part for me was chopping the doors and garnish moldings. There is a little Evercoat Rage ( okay maybe more than a little) because there was a small dip in the middle of the roof.

Needless to say I spent days measuring so I would know where to make the cuts. By keeping the rear window stock height the door glass came out the same height.

I normally don't talk this much but boy am I excited, I think I may have mentioned that.:D:D:D:D:D

got a little more done on the chassis today in between running around doing shop stuff.

welded up the back side rear frame cross tube. then designed a nice clean cap to weld on to help strengthen and clean up the back. it drives me nuts when the tubes are just left open.

caps tacked on

then made a shear load gusset ( fish plate) to put on the rails where i cut and bent them out

Build

Like we're this is going. Extra long front radius rods to match extra long motor, some thought has been put into this build.

bruno dropped off some parts yesterday, so today i started back in on the chassis

got the engine set up on the table, centered and the front at a height i like.

then designed and cut out some new block side engine mounts. still need to cut and weld on the side gussets

when bruno was at the shop he helped me set the rear end in the springs in the rear. so today i made a shock mount bar for the chassis and got the shocks in

started laying out the design for the tube k member as well

This is an awesome build. I like the choice of engine, I like to see something other than the standard sbc with turbo 350. nothing wrong with them mind you, I just like unique. Oh and I think that is a cool exhaust system but it may be a little loud, hehe.

Mike, everything looks awesome [cl
The Buick 8, looks like a train engine, without anything else around it [dr
[P [P [P

Mike, it just keeps looking better and better.[dr I'm going to get 4 space saver rims this week so we can roll it out of your shop. You guys really need to see the frame in person, it's like a work of art.

Kenny I believe it may be a little loud, but I'm a little deaf, so it will have a nice mellow tone to me.

Bruno, you just took the words out of my mouth....that frame is a work of art, but then again it seems like everything that comes out of that shop is! Hard to believe how fast Mike works too!

Keep the pictures coming!

I really like watching this build too, I kinda wish in some ways I would have went with a straight 8 on mine....

Beautiful work from Cornfield definitely as always!!!

Latest posts

Back