rim?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Got a chance to buy either 2-lug 20 inch military rims or 2-8 lug two piece 20 inch rims.
6 lug is cheaper but has a 8 3/4 inch wide spread lug hole measurement.
8 lug is standard 6.5 inch lug pattern. Chevy...ford..dodge i think???
but the 2 piece design makes me nervous. Wats the deal with em? Is there a rearend other than a rockwell that will work on the 6 lug? Any help is appreciated..thanks..RR

There are many variants of the two piece split rim design. I owned a 1952 Dodge M-37 for about ten years with military slit rims. I loved em. Easy to service in the field.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 16
The split rims you definitely want to avoid are the firestone RH-5* these are the natorious "widow makers" but with all spit rims and multi piece designs the components especially the surfaces that engage each other and create the locking surfaces need to be in good condition and a lot of the older ones are pretty rotten...

The split rims you definitely want to avoid are the firestone RH-5* these are the natorious "widow makers" but with all spit rims and multi piece designs the components especially the surfaces that engage each other and create the locking surfaces need to be in good condition and a lot of the older ones are pretty rotten...

I agree they need to be clean and in good shape but we ran them for years and of all the horror stories, none were people I knew, always some "friend of a cousins father in law" stories. If you were stupid enough to stand over one while you were airing it up, you weren't going to be in the gene pool long anyway.

Ended up with a set of 2-2 piece 8 lug rims. They have like 30 plus bolts that hold em together. Came off the guys mud truck.
very heavy duty. Guess i need a pair of tubes now. They said to put silicone betwwn em then bolt em up and it will hold 30-35 lbs of air wo tubes but i think tubes might work better.
anyone ever mess with these that can school me so i dont waste my time?
tnx..RR

You bought bead lock rims from the sound of it.You won`t need tubes with them,and unless they are factory(I doubt they are)they are not DOT approved.

Latest posts

Back