36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naw, Smallfoot, I'm really slow this winter.
Today, I'm going to tackle making a 'return to closed' system for my heater, water valve. I can pull the valve open with my existing 'wire in housing' but I can't push it closed yet.

Ah, Snopro, one reason I can't go out is I've got miles of melting snow and mud between home and the nearest pavement. The other reason is I've been sloughing off any real work on this truck for a long time and so I'm behind. :(:(

Ah, Snopro, one reason I can't go out is I've got miles of melting snow and mud between home and the nearest pavement. The other reason is I've been sloughing off any real work on this truck for a long time and so I'm behind. :(:(

Yeah, my parents have a mile of mud to the highway currently. Dad was cursing that I could go for a cruise on Sunday [ddd

Well, she's all buttoned up and ready to be test-driven.

I am going to change oil and fix a few wee little things that were put together poorly by some fool that can't be named right now.

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 35
Well I spent quite a bit of time on the heater controls and came up with no easy way to shut the water valve off. [I just can't push it closed with the cable in the housing]. I did learn how to put my hand in behind the heater and move the valve a bit, so that's my fix.

While I was lying in the cab pondering, I decided to put a drain hose from the windshield housing down through the floor, behind the kick panel. NOT easy, but it's done. Every time I washed the truck water would sneak in past the windshield gasket and run down onto the cardboard kick panel and warp it more.

Sometimes when I was going on the highway into a rainstorm the wind would blow my windshield wipers up off the windshield and onto the roof, well then you just have to stop and get out in the storm and bring the wipers back down. Oh ya, then you're all wet and not a happy camper, especially when you get up to speed and the wind does that to your wipers again. So,,, I made a stopper on the windshield frame to stop the wipers going crazy.

Then, we snuck away to Puerto Vallarta for a week, so no fixing was done.

Attachments

• IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 30
Nice fix on the wipers.
What if you installed a new water valve under the hood and hook it to the existing cable.
Been to Puerto Vallarta, it's a beautiful place.

OI, It's my fault that the valve is inside the cab instead of outside. I wanted the truck to look 'old time', but I don't mind having the new stuff on there, as long as it's hidden. That's like lying and cheating, I know, but that's just me.
My drivers door handle was sliding out about a quarter of an inch and that was embarrassing so I took it apart and found a spring and washer had jumped over a few little bumps on the square shaft so the handle wouldn't stay in close to the door. I bored a small hole in the square shaft and squashed up the spring and washer and drove in a new pin, [broken off cheap drill bit]. Fixed.
After fixing a few other little things and setting the clutch up some more, I took the '36 on it's maiden [for this year] test run.
It mostly passed, however, there is a squeak that I have to find and conquer, and it smokes a little more this year after I changed oil.
I cannot get the pictures off of my camera card, so you'll just have to believe me this time.

Some of Mr. Lucas's magic oil helped the smoke problem a bit.
I adjusted the freeplay on the brake pedal by turning the eccentric bolt that connects the bottom of the pedal to the pushrod to the booster.
The slant of the rear bumper was annoying so I shimmed up one coil-over shock.
On today's test run I found that pesky squeak that has plagued me for a year. The grommet around the choke rod through the firewall was worn out and the rod was rubbing on the tin firewall. Eee-eee-eee-eee on the gravel roads.
She's cruiseworthy, now, guys.

Thank you, guys.
Today I was away in British Columbia digging through a field of old cars and trucks. Most of the vehicles were Mopar so I can't brag about the parts I acquired in this Ford thread. But I can rig up another Hemi now, with one eye shut.

We've finally got some rain and snow. Anyhow, I had put the '36 in the shop before the rain started and now I tackled the little vibration that just won't go away. While I was lining up on the hoist, to change the the pinion angle yet again, I thought about a fellow cruiser that said he thought my driver rear tire was a wee bit wonky, not bad but not right either. So I jacked it up and ran the truck a bit on jack stands, holding chalk against the tire then the wheel. Sure enough, the marks were only about 6 to 8" long and only on one side of the tire and wheel. Now, is that a bent wheel or a deeper problem? I took the wheel off and ran chalk on the spacer, the brake drum and the axle end. Same funny pattern. Not funny Ha ha, funny Sheesh. I took the drum off and the backing plate bolts, and lo and behold this Ford rear-end is not made like a Ford rear-end. I had to drain the oil out of the diff and pull the differential pinion shaft out and push the axle in a little bit and pull out a horseshoe clip. Very Chev-ish. Anyhow I got the axle out and ran the dial indicater all over it. About half way along the axle it's 45 thou. bent. The flange is out 100 thou. though.

Attachments

• IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back