I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going on the philosophy that "More is better", I trekked into war torn Minneapolis again and bought another round of rectangular tubing. It's all cut up and ready to weld in place. I took the channels to Jerry the Sandblaster this morning. Soon as I get them back I can weld 'er up. Then it's on to the tongue and the axle.
Here's what I want my '30 Dodge pick up to resemble, when I get to it.

Attachments

• more box 002.jpg
    more box 002.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 24
  • more box 001.jpg
    more box 001.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 26
  • BTT50's 2011 023.jpg
    BTT50's 2011 023.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Humidity

It has been raining and so humid that my garage floor has been wet for a few days.
I did get the channels welded to the frame. The tongue was cut off the original trailer. I lost a foot of length because the diagonals got too wide for the new trailer. So I added 12" to the tongue in front of the diagonals. I sure miss my Lily girl. This old man has shed a tear or two.

Attachments

• tongue 002.jpg
    tongue 002.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 26
  • tongue 003.jpg
    tongue 003.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 23
  • tongue 001.jpg
    tongue 001.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Poodles 007.jpg
    Poodles 007.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
Turn the Dwarf from the North loose with an angle grinder and a couple cut off wheels and this is the result. I cut the axle out of the old trailer and started cutting it up into bite sized pieces so I can haul it to the scrap yard.
Here's my Dodge cab that will hopefully turn into a hot rod this winter.

Attachments

• cut up 002.jpg
    cut up 002.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 25
  • cut up 003.jpg
    cut up 003.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 27
  • cut up 001.jpg
    cut up 001.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Fargo 002.jpg
    Fargo 002.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 30
[cl :D :cool: :cool:
I put an add on FB market place for free scrap. A guy came and got it all.
I used to take the scrap in myself but no longer have any way to get it there.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Good idea, Torchie. I have a truck but no muscle to load stuff. Got a motor block and other heavy stuff. Might get someone to come get it.

Finished all the top side welding. I have a pair of NOR (New Old Rust) trailer fenders. cut out the brackets for them today. The old trailer needed 4 ramps because of the differences between the front tread and the read tread of the dragster. I welded them together to make wide ramps. Only problem is they're heavy. Because this trailer is lower the cut out in back I should be able to cut a couple feet off the ramp length. We'll see. Now, I have to figure out how to flip the trailer over for bottom side welding.

Attachments

• welding 002.jpg
    welding 002.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 18
  • welding 004.jpg
    welding 004.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 18
  • welding 001.jpg
    welding 001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 19
  • welding 003.jpg
    welding 003.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 17
Finished all the top side welding. I have a pair of NOR (New Old Rust) trailer fenders. cut out the brackets for them today. The old trailer needed 4 ramps because of the differences between the front tread and the read tread of the dragster. I welded them together to make wide ramps. Only problem is they're heavy. Because this trailer is lower the cut out in back I should be able to cut a couple feet off the ramp length. We'll see. Now, I have to figure out how to flip the trailer over for bottom side welding.
Talk to Torchie. He can flip anything over.

BTW: That is one purdy trailer.

How Strange Is That?

As mentioned earlier I need to flip the trailer to do the bottom side welding and painting. Been kicking around ideas. Pretty much decided to grab it by its side with a cherry picker/engine hoist and raise to vertical. Then let it fall. It's too heavy to let it down gently as it will pull the cherry picker over.

Then it occurred to me to use the Sam Fear method. Remember, he used a mattress or something like that to cushion his car when he rolled it over.

I looked at Facebook Marketplace for a free mattress close to me yesterday. No dice. Since it was Thursday I headed to Gruber's around 4:30. About half way there I spied a couch that had been thrown in the ditch along the rural road. There they were, three cushions that will work just fine.

For six or seven years, most every Thursday I drive the same road to Gruber's and never has there been any items discarded along the way.

Does stuff like this happen to you?

Attachments

• cushions 001.jpg
    cushions 001.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 17
I use my cherry picker to flip things all the time. Once the trailer is verticle, I pull the bottom toward the upright leg of the cherry picker, sliding it along the "feet" while it's being lowered, that way there's no way the cherry picker wants to flop over with the weight of the trailer. Once it's upside down I just use my floor jack to pick up the trailer and move the cherry picker back out of the way. I hope that description makes sense. Either way, be careful!

Trailer Flipped!

Yes, just like you suggested, Bill, I managed to get it vertical with the cherry picker and up on its legs. Thought the trailer might be too wide but it wasn't. With Jerry and Dave steadying it, and using a farmer jack for insurance while lowering, the task was accomplished without loss of blood.

We went out for a 3 hour lunch to celebrate.

Attachments

• flip 001.jpg
    flip 001.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back