Elegant decay aka the "Ratty Caddy."

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great LB. 😎👍
How did you apply the permalac?
Thanks for your comment .
Torchie

Spray it just like a normal auto clear. You can buy it in a matte and a gloss. You buy the clear and they're reducer. It's really weird it like soaks into the metal. The first coat you sent out 50/50. They say it helps penetrate the metal better by thinning it out more the next two coats you do an 80/20

Spray it just like a normal auto clear. You can buy it in a matte and a gloss. You buy the clear and they're reducer. It's really weird it like soaks into the metal. The first coat you sent out 50/50. They say it helps penetrate the metal better by thinning it out more the next two coats you do an 80/20

What finish did you use LB?
Gloss or Satin? Do they make a matte?
Thanks
Torchie

I'm not impressed with CLR. Didn't faze the cloudyness on the Firebird back glass, but then neither did anything else I tried.....:rolleyes:

I'm not impressed with CLR. Didn't faze the cloudyness on the Firebird back glass, but then neither did anything else I tried.....:rolleyes:

I have never tried clr

After watching waaay to many patina videos, including the ones from Sweet Patina and Popys Patina. Ive come to the conclusion that everyone seems yo just do their own thing.
Some use CLR. Some comet. Some just soap and water. And some, nothing at all.
What’s a fellow to believe?😳😯
I dont want to take off too much of the look as that is what i like the best.
I think that for now I will just leave it as is.
Once i get the floor work done i will make a decision.
For the sake of my budget, or lack of one it may just be boiled lindeed. I susprct i have a can or 2 of that out in the shop.
Thanks sll for the input and comments .
Keep them coning.....
Torchie

I've used Justice Brothers (JB-80). The advert says it's twice as good as WD-40.:p

It didn't do much and it didn't last very long.

I have used clear matte finish in a spray can. Just a light dusting from about a foot and a half away. Trying to take some gloss off some paint that came out too shiny (for me).

I've used Justice Brothers (JB-80). The advert says it's twice as good as WD-40.:p

It didn't do much and it didn't last very long.

I have used clear matte finish in a spray can. Just a light dusting from about a foot and a half away. Trying to take some gloss off some paint that came out too shiny (for me).

Thanks bob.
Ive had a few suggest WD 40. Gibbs oil and such.
The thing that draws me to the popy’sis the fact that it has s catalyst.
Or you can use it with out but it doesn’t last as long.
My head spins......
Time for bed. Good night UDS.😎
Torchie

More info.....
Penetrol is a supposed Mix of linseed oil and mineral spirits.
And i talk to one giy that says he uses linseed oil mixed with acetone.
50/50
Anyone done this?
Thanks
Torchie

Way back 50+ years ago I had a friend that drove his dads Caddy to the drive in on Friday nights. We had a lot of fun in that land yacht. Plenty of room for what ever!

Way back 50+ years ago I had a friend that drove his dads Caddy to the drive in on Friday nights. We had a lot of fun in that land yacht. Plenty of room for what ever!

I was the originator of the now worldwide axiom "who doesn't love an old Caddy?" :D

POPS.
I was a senior in High school when i bought my 55 Cadillac convertible.
Talk about a land yacht.😳
Sat 6 people comfortably or 12 stacked.😳😂
Even Mrs T is sort of intrigued by this one. earthman.
Old Cadillacs are like spaghetti. Who doesn't like that????
Torchie

Time to move on from the patina....
I am beginning to question the viability of putting the nailhead in it.
Unfortunately the early nailheads-264-322 dont have any options for a bolt up trans except the Dyna-flow with out an adapter. $$$$
I might have to see if i can swap the nailhead for something newer and less costly.
SBC i suppose. Kind of boring though....
Torchie

Last edited:
How about a.... Cadillac engine?

Bingo!! [cl[cl[P

How about it????
You guys checked out the prices on a Cadillac engine lately.$$$
I dont want a modern one. 429 and 500 are precious now. Apparently.
Remember my budget. $00000. :eek::p
Its about $700 for a nailhead trans adapter that will fit the GM TH trans.
And since ive got $200 into the nailhead it still might be cheaper in the long run to just bite the bullet on the adapter.
I would like to use as much of my in house parts as possible.
One of the reasons i building the car this way is that Cadillac parts are $$$$
Im looking at about $500 just for a windshield. And if i cant reuse the rubber another $375.:eek::eek:
Much to think about.
Thanks for the comments.....
Torchie

Last edited:
Ill give you some money and take it off your hands hahahaha.

Yes cadi parts are spendy. But worth it in the end!!!

Latest posts

Back