36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torchie, Torchie, Torchie, DO WHAT? Turn my back on the old girl? Retain my flaming optimism? Buy a plastic speedo gear? Or go boiling into a parking space at A&W tonight with tires squealing, arms waving, little kids running scared, dropping their ice-cream, overprotective mothers yelling, dogs barking, and you want pictures of some of this. :D:eek:[S

Torchie, Torchie, Torchie, DO WHAT? Turn my back on the old girl? Retain my flaming optimism? Buy a plastic speedo gear? Or go boiling into a parking space at A&W tonight with tires squealing, arms waving, little kids running scared, dropping their ice-cream, overprotective mothers yelling, dogs barking, and you want pictures of some of this. :D:eek:[S

Mac,Mac,Mac,Mac,Mac,Mac,Mac.
You already did some of this(Turn your back on the old girl. ;) ) Now do the rest.:D
I can get mothers to yell. Kids to scream. And dogs to bark just by going out in public wearing shorts.:eek:
Lets see what you can do driving the truck. Oh. And yeah. Post pics....:cool:
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 34
I was part way to town when I remembered that I forgot the camera at home. As soon as I washed the truck in town I realized that I had not filled in the little nail holes that the hood welting usually covers, so water got into the truck and probably soaked into the cardboard upholstery. The transmission and gearshift worked well, but I have to tone down my speedometer. There is yet another reason why I hate shop cats, her tracks all over the truck didn't wash off but had disappeared when the truck was still wet, only to reappear unharmed at the car show. :(:eek:
When I got to A&W there wasn't a parking spot to be had. I got to be creative and arrogantly made a place. I was really starving when I finally finished B.S.ing with all the car guys that came out after a long old winter.

Today I went for a little drive. With me were the wife and grandkids, kinda like the old days when everybody piled into the old truck and headed for town. Anyhow, they weren't getting a free ride, they had to work. The wife held the grand son in one arm and the GPS in the other, while the granddaughter punched the buttons on the screen to get our speed showing. When my truck speedometer showed 100 the GPS showed 40 miles an hour. The girls couldn't get the GPS to change to Kilometres so I had to figure that out on paper afterwards. 100=64kph, or 156% high. Now I can get a different coloured driven gear in the tail shaft housing and maybe straighten this all out.

I'm not following your math and how you got to 156% high... :confused:

Are you wanting the speedometer to read correctly in miles or Kilometers? And was the 100 you mentioned MPH or KM/H?

If the reading was in miles you're reading 100 MPH and going 40 MPH, so you need a gear or reducer that multiplies your speedometer reading by 0.4 (100x0.4=40).

What was the gear of the reducer you already put in?

Hope that helps.

Hello Snopro, the 100 is what was showing on my old '36 speedometer. It came from the factory in miles an hour, but I was hoping to have it in kilometers now. The GPS said we were going 40 mph which is 64 kph. 100 [what the speedo said]is about 156% of 64kph [what I was travelling at].
Today I changed the speed gearing around a bit and the speedometer reads a little off at 50, 60, and 70 kph but is very close and 100 and 110. I'm thinking I won't fool with it anymore.

Hello Snopro, the 100 is what was showing on my old '36 speedometer. It came from the factory in miles an hour, but I was hoping to have it in kilometers now. The GPS said we were going 40 mph which is 64 kph. 100 [what the speedo said]is about 156% of 64kph [what I was travelling at].
Today I changed the speed gearing around a bit and the speedometer reads a little off at 50, 60, and 70 kph but is very close and 100 and 110. I'm thinking I won't fool with it anymore.

Changing your old speedometer to miles won't work so well. Reason being that the spacing between miles and kilometers is different. You'll be able to calibrate it to a certain speed so that it's correct at say 100 KM/h, but it likely will be off everywhere else, by varying degress. This is what you've already noticed... If you can live with it it's fine, as long as you're aware that it won't be accurate at all speeds.

Yes Snopro, I was a little surprized and miffed to find the speedo reads right at 0 and 100kph but not so good at 60kph. Oh well, I will leave it like this and learn to love it.
Skull, I've been neglecting you. You wanted pictures of cat tracks on my truck right. Well, :p:p

Last edited:
I've got news that will take you all over the map. Snopro, you made the big time, you're in the Canadian Hotrods magazine on page 39. In fact you are only pages away from the Ridler award winner J.F. Launier.
Today I finished buttoning up the carb on the '55 Merc, pumped out the back gas tank, pumped out all of the water in the front tank, and cleaned the water out of the fuel lines, I think. In the first picture, the righthand bottle has about 3/16" of gas on top and maybe 3" of water, all out of the back tank. I pumped some mixed stuff out on the ground from the front tank, then the middle bottle had only 5/16" of cruddy water in the bottom of it, from the front tank. The left bottle is pure gas, and it's the third sample from the front tank. The truck started up but did not run that good. It's up by the shop now at least.
The third picture is looking in through the open shop door, [Me showing off].
On the '36, I had to fill in the cowl welting holes before I washed it again, so here are my little screws and washers siliconed in. some of the holes were too big for those little screws so I made plastic nuts for the back of them. The plastic nuts were almost impossible to put in there after the truck was finished.

Attachments

• IMG_1266.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 18
I've got news that will take you all over the map. Snopro, you made the big time, you're in the Canadian Hotrods magazine on page 39. In fact you are only pages away from the Ridler award winner J.F. Launier.

Yeah I found out on Friday Mac, thanks! I'm a little miffed at how bad he is at naming makes and years sometimes, that whole Radium article is riddled with bad grammar and inaccurate vehicle descriptions. Nonetheless, I'm pretty thrilled that my "International" made it into the magazine! There are actually 2 other vehicles that were with us that made it into the magazine as well!

Thanks guys, that scene in the shop doorway was crying out for a picture, so I took it.
Snopro, give credit where credit is due; He guessed that the Ridler winner was a Buick. That looked like a good show.

Here's the shot of the other side of the welting bolts done. I roared into town tonight to show off----I mean go to A&W for supper and on the way I washed the truck to see if my little cowl bolts worked [pic 2]. Well sorta, but there is still a leak on the passenger side. I did get the dang cat tracks washed off though,--Damn cat.
The weather was so miserable that only a handful of really tough guys showed up at A&W.

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 29
Stance is important to me and I've been having a devil of a time with my '36's rear height. To make a short story long, I originally took a leaf spring out of each side of the Ranger suspension. One leaf was broken and I wasn't going to haul anything so who needs three leaves, Right? Well, the stance was ideal, to me, anyhow, but the suspension travel was too restricted and the rubber stoppers came into play too much on our highways. So I added two inch blocks to the top of the rear-end housing under the springs and that gave me adequate suspension travel. Well, now the dang back end was too high in the air. So, I've taken out the two inch blocks and added a leaf back in on each side.

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I'm all bout the stance too.
The biggest thing I've found when taking out leafs is, they don't have enough capacity to hold the vehicle up correctly and gives too soft a ride hence the bottoming out.
Since your rearend is under the springs, take the main leaf out turn it upside down and re-arch it to the original curve.
With the spring eyes being on the bottom, this should give you about an inch of drop.

Latest posts

Back