36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had ordered a Flame Thrower coil a few weeks ago. Well, it got lost in transit, I guess, so I asked the parts guy to order me a new one. The second one came in quickly. I grabbed it and installed it. This one has 1.5 Ohms resistance.
Over the last week I looked into the MSD spark plug wires. They are copper, but they are not solid core. They are spiral woven or wound and made for electronic ignition.

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 14
I ordered a bunch of '94' carb stuff and I think it's on the trail now, streaking my way. There are low vacuum power valves, plug power valves, replacement throttle shafts, and secondary throttle plates. I'm going to make my old rebuilt 94's into real functional, leak-proof three deuces, or else. Today, I started to switch the intakes around again.

Attachments

• IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 12
I wish; Dozer. On the three deuce intake the recesses for the bolts are so small I can't even use hexagon head cap bolts because there's no room for the wrench to tighten them. I had to buy Allen head bolts.
Quick change bolts would have been an asset, you bet. ----- Or, I could have guessed what was wrong a way earlier in my epic diagnostic journey.

In keeping with my new philosophy of fixing everything in sight before the next test-drive, I have been making a weird pedestal to raise the fuel splitter log off of the head so it runs a way cooler. Hopefully the gas will be less vaporous. Here's the new uplifting bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 14
Remember, Guys, that I said I had ordered a bunch of Holley 94 carb stuff, well it came in. Here is what I've been waiting for. I'll rebuild those carbs again and learn how to make them work.

Attachments

• IMG_2605.jpg
    IMG_2605.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 19
These are 4.5's. I bought two of them because I have a set of three deuces for a Y-block also. There are a bunch of plugs to go into the secondary carbs power valve holes, on both the flathead and the Y-block carb sets.
On the single Merc/Holley carb that I had on there temporarily, I finally just filled the power valve with Seal-all and let it solidify. That gained me sixty horsepower.

I started on the three deuces today. The pictures are the centre carb. You'll see where I ground out a wee bit at the centre, back of the bowl in the first pic. The power valve has a biggish washer on it to hold the opening spring. This washer rubs against the bowl wall. In the second picture it still looks close. Oh ya, I took out an 8.5 valve and installed a 4.5 one.
A trick I saw on the internet is use a hex-head fine thread bolt, instead of a flat-head screw, to hold the carb base to the bottom of the bowl. That way you can take the top two thirds of the carb off without taking the whole carb off the intake.

Attachments

• IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 8
I forgot to mention that I finally have the power valve, 'or economy valve' figured out. The spring on it holds the valve open, so extra gas can be drawn into the venturi, and intake manifold vacuum closes it, leaving you with a regular gasoline to air mixture ratio. If you don't have enough intake vacuum to close that valve you are going to be pouring a lot of gas into the motor, all of the time.

Last edited:
Pic one, is the primary carb done, I think. I put the new [4.5] power valve in and put the new larger diameter throttle shaft in and the old throttle discs back in. This time I was very careful to get the discs lined up exactly in the throats, before tightening the little screws. There should be less vacuum loss and a way less gas consumed, now.
Pic two, is the power valve plug in the first secondary carb. It looks like the maker of the plug filled it with an epoxy and let it harden. Now I don't feel so bad filling that teapot [Merc] carb power valve with seal-all.

Attachments

• IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 14
Both secondary carbs are done now. They have plug power valves in them and the worn throttle shaft in the front one is changed out. The back carb was still in good shape.
Here they are mounted again on the intake. The hold down nuts are in some horrible places on three deuces.
A friend phoned today and I was whining to him, so he said, "you know I think I have a couple of Ford carbs for you, in good shape". Cool. Then he phoned back and said, "one of them has 97 on it". Double cool, ---- Stromberg 97.

Attachments

• IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back