36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smallfoot used the word 'gremlins', as in plural. Well, I fixed two carburetor problems the other day and today I found another on a different carb. The red arrow points to the top of the gismo that allows the gas to go into the venturi. Right where the red arrow points is an opening to stop the gas from syphoning out of the bowl when its not needed. If that hole is plugged off, gas will continue to syphon until the bowl is empty. When I took the top off this carb the bowl was bone dry. I've been burning fuel just for fun, ------ and to make the oil companies rich.

Attachments

• IMG_2836.jpg
    IMG_2836.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 21
Over the last couple of years I've been having my grief getting this truck tuned up properly. I resorted to throwing wheelbarrows full of money at it,------- to no avail. Any how, my expensive new plug wires didn't seem to be working right. The number one wire was leaking spark out everywhere except across the sparkplug electrodes under compression. I put an old steel wire on and that helped a lot. So here is a new replacement wire that I made up because the old steel one looks out of place on there.

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 15
This part of the build thread is, ----- building character.
Here I am, Granddad, teaching my granddaughter how to drive a 'standard transmission' hot rod.
It went well.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 24
Better hide the keys. :D

Seriously, good on you for being a good grandpa and sharing your toys and your knowledge. [cl

For a while now I've been having accelerating problems so I thought my accelerator pump piston was not working or no gas was getting into the chamber. And then, the last time I was in town the truck flooded twice on me. This time I thought there must be something stuck in the float valve. Today, I took the carb apart [for the umpteenth time] and cleaned it out. [Side note here, those really cool see through red gas lines are impossible to get off, so you have to figure out a way to take the carb apart while it's still plugged in].
The float valve had some weird stuff in it, though not much. The accelerator pump seemed to be working alright so I looked around. The progressive linkage on the right hand side of the carbs was gunked up and jamming so I was probably opening up the two secondaries every time I got into the next gear and wanted to get going. That would give my poor little motor a lot of air and not enough gasoline. Anyhow, the test-drive went well.

Attachments

• IMG_2958.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 12
Keep at it Mac. You will get the bugs out.
Both of my daughters first cars were sticks.
I taught them both how to drive them.
During one of our lessons my youngest ( who just got married) had a melt down.
As I remember, her words were....” what kind of a fathers gets his daughter a sports car with a stick shift for their first Car.”😂
Torchie

Latest posts

Back