Making your own comfortable seat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Stuff

I looked through the other interior threads and didn't see what I'm looking for....

If a fella wanted to build his own small bench seat (for the '30), where to start? [S
Is there a kinda pre-fabbed seat "shape" with the right density that you don't need springs? Etc, etc..... :confused::confused:

Would I be better off by giving myself the Jedi hand wave and say, "You need to go home and rethink you're life".............. and just get a minivan middle bench seat and be done? :rolleyes:

I’m going to try doing my simple small bench seat? 1/2”. Plywood, good foam and start sewing [S We’ll see [P
Good with yours!

The cab on my 48 is fairly narrow, although not likely as narrow as yours. I used the middle seat out of a Cadillac SRX (the mid size SUV - probably mid 2000's?) I liked it as it came with the tracks for adjustment, both seat backs tilt forward, and the passenger seat even flops over forward so I can utilize the space underneath. I had an upholsterer buddy removed the headrests before recovering. It worked well for me.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 33
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 32
I didn't do the bottom, but did the back. My dakota club cab had just a 8" or so wide pad running from side to side. I wanted to make the back look like a full seat and sorta coc-pit like. I stacked plywood and different thickness of dense foam and had my upholstery guy do it up. The upper piece is fiberglass.

Attachments

• IMG_8981.jpg
    IMG_8981.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 24
I’m going to try doing my simple small bench seat? 1/2”. Plywood, good foam and start sewing [S We’ll see [P
Good with yours!

Between this............

The cab on my 48 is fairly narrow, although not likely as narrow as yours. I used the middle seat out of a Cadillac SRX (the mid size SUV - probably mid 2000's?) I liked it as it came with the tracks for adjustment, both seat backs tilt forward, and the passenger seat even flops over forward so I can utilize the space underneath. I had an upholsterer buddy removed the headrests before recovering. It worked well for me.

........and something like this.
All my electrical will be under the seat which will need full access to. My thinking started out- fixed back with a hinged in front flip up seat. What Bill is using has possibilities as well. Things to toss around. [S[S

I used these bomber seat frames from Winter fab to make the bench seat in my coupe! Just put plywood between them, put 2-3" of foam & cover them... bingo!

https://www.winterfabonline.com/product/diy-bomber-seat-frames-only-with-flame-cutouts-one-pair-4-pieces-total

BoB

That's the ticket. Kinda sets the bar if I'm going to run it myself. I like the back rest- looks thick enough to be comfortable but not too thick- especially thinking about leg room.

I didn't do the bottom, but did the back. My dakota club cab had just a 8" or so wide pad running from side to side. I wanted to make the back look like a full seat and sorta coc-pit like. I stacked plywood and different thickness of dense foam and had my upholstery guy do it up. The upper piece is fiberglass.

The back rest on the back set makes me think about incorporating a head rest of sorts. The only thing behind my head will be a wall and was wondering on that as well.

Thanks for the ideas guys! [cl

Latest posts

Back